IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

Hi Guys - This thread is here to log any issues that you find with the site and to provide any feedback you wish. As usual, all feedback, good, bad, indifferent, is welcome.

It has been a long weekend and I'm sure I missed a few things in my final run-through of the site. Please let me know what you find. In addition, I still have a lot of housekeeping to do and will get to it as soon as possible.

A few issues I am working through:

1. Front page articles need some of the code that didn't transfer over from the previous site removed (it's still visible in some articles).
  2. Article, not forum, attachments need to be re-attached (this will keep e busy for a while).
  3. Blog attachments need to be re-attached (this will also keep me busy for a while).
  4. I am creating URL redirect so some of the old URLs / web addresses will still work. Please let me know if you want your favorite thread to still work with the old URL (test to make sure I haven't created it already). 

Notes:

1. Support for the iOS and Android apps has been discontinued.

P.S. I still have access to the old site incase someone thinks they lost something.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, Theobetley said:

I have to admit I missed CA over the weekend. Glad you are back. Looks good but do we no longer have new posts?

Top Right of the page above the CA logo there is an "unread content" link.

One question Chris, the formatting seems to be rather narrow on my Chrome browser with lots of white space in the margin.  Given the length of some of our posts scrolling down might not be convenient.  Any thoughts on that?

1 minute ago, Booster MPS said:

Top Right of the page above the CA logo there is an "unread content" link.

One question Chris, the formatting seems to be rather narrow on my Chrome browser with lots of white space in the margin.  Given the length of some of our posts scrolling down might not be convenient.  Any thoughts on that?

I'm glad you asked. I did a lot of research on the appropriate width of text / paragraphs etc... and most of it said about 70 characters / 10 words wide was the sweet spot. 

Thanks for the feedback. I can always make tweaks to improve the experience. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Actually CA is loading adequately but who wants all this scrolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllling?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I observed added lines between paragraphs in articles as well as forum posts. I am on Windows, I checked that on Firefox, Chrome and IE - the same.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
4 minutes ago, semente said:

This layout is similar to the "new" HifiWigwam layout...

I wish I could praise it but it's slow to load and wastes lots of screen space.

I hate it.

R

Thanks for the feedback. 

The slowness you see concerns me. I can't reproduce it yet, but I'll continue to try.

2 minutes ago, bogi said:

I observed are added lines between paragraphs in articles as well as forum posts. I am on Windows, I checked that on Firefox, Chrome and IE - the same.

Hi Bogi - Yes, I believe this is a formatting issue from the conversion. New stuff going forward should have that issue and the stuff I go back and edit shouldn't have the issue. 

Thanks for the report.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the feedback. 

The slowness you see concerns me. I can't reproduce it yet, but I'll continue to try.

Chris,

Can you reduce the space between lines in text and widen the thread boxes?

That would probably solve it.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

2 minutes ago, semente said:

Chris,

Can you reduce the space between lines in text and widen the thread boxes?

That would probably solve it.

R

Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is one article, of thousands, about the best width of paragraphs for readability and user experience etc... https://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability

Are you saying the space between continuous lines of text is too much or between paragraphs or both?

@The Computer Audiophile (just trying the tagging there....)

Thanks for the reply.  Will be interesting to get other's experience on column width.  The font and layout is VERY readable and pops on the page.

Additional question - within a thread as you read, there was previously a link where you could "jump to first unread" post within the thread.  Does that link still live on the new forum.

Chris, The scaling of the avatars is poor up to devistating. Not talking about my own (also not the best what happened to it) but i.e. Jud has grown a lot over the weekend.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Couple of things (using Vivaldi browser on Lubuntu):

- I'm seeing lots of ads.  Do paid members see ads now, is there a setting to change this, or is it a glitch of the new site?

- The formatting selections at the top of the text entry box are (at least for me) a not very well visible white-on-gray.  My browser or is this the same for everyone?

1 minute ago, PeterSt said:

Chris, The scaling of the avatars is poor up to devistating. Not talking about my own (also not the best what happened to it) but i.e. Jud has grown a lot over the weekend.

Yes, at least you could have thinned me out, but it seems I've become a Fathead!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.