IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

Couple of things (using Vivaldi browser on Lubuntu):

- I'm seeing lots of ads.  Do paid members see ads now, is there a setting to change this, or is it a glitch of the new site?

- The formatting selections at the top of the text entry box are (at least for me) a not very well visible white-on-gray.  My browser or is this the same for everyone?

1 minute ago, PeterSt said:

Chris, The scaling of the avatars is poor up to devistating. Not talking about my own (also not the best what happened to it) but i.e. Jud has grown a lot over the weekend.

Yes, at least you could have thinned me out, but it seems I've become a Fathead!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'll look at the formatting options, but I can't help with the thinning out part :~)

It's a tough thing, just wanting all the help I can get. ;)

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ah, thanks for the info. When I imported the users, it put the paid members in the new all access group as a secondary group, not the primary. I've changed yours and will adjust the rest.

Thanks!  That calmed things right down, and I'm happy to report as you'd expect now that mobile also accesses via web, it is immediately effective there as well (as long as you're signed in).

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, two posts in succession within a certain period of time will get merged. I can always change it, but lets try it for a little while. 

I like it initially, will see whether it results in confusion or changed meanings...

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have a lot of caffeine in me right now. Going on a few hours of sleep and no further sleep until tonight. 

Empathize with your sleep deprivation and grateful for your hard work.  It's turned out really well overall, especially on mobile.

1 minute ago, skatbelt said:

No signatures anymore and is the iOS app obolete?

I'm seeing your sig - maybe it's a preference setting?

Or are you viewing on mobile?  Not sure I ever saw sigs there.

There's a notification of topic replies that pops up at the bottom of my screen with a link saying "Show Reply" or "Show Replies."  Clicking it doesn't scroll me to the reply/ies.  Just my browser, or the same for everyone else?

Just now, skatbelt said:

Ah, yes I was checking the site on my mobile. Tablet and laptop browsers do show them. Only grayed out and a bit difficult to read.

Especially longer ones.  It'll encourage brevity and/or more visits to your page, I guess. :)

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just changed the look of the editing bar on top of the posts. Is this better or worse for you guys?

*Much* better!

I don't see a difference ? See my attachment a few posts back (about the Preview button). Or maybe that is not what you mean ...

Reload the page...?

Just now, PeterSt said:

Hey Jud, I see that finally your reputation is way better than Chris's.

Don't look at mine.

Which proves that it doesn't prove anything. :)

Just now, lmitche said:

Jud, LOL that is pretty much what you look like in person!

LOL back!

Edit: I went back and reloaded my avatar photo, actually, because the avatar as originally brought over to the new site looked something like an inflated balloon with my picture pasted on it.

WTF ... there's a real cool "quote this" feature ! hard to explain.

You mean when you highlight just part of someone's comment and the little "Quote this" notification pops up?  Yes, way cool - hat tip to Chris.

3 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Can someone explain to me how I can split a quote in a reply?

Maybe like this?  Click the "Quote" link for the entire msg first, then choose individual pieces to use the Quote feature from the editing bar.

Frequently someone will ask a series of questions in one post and I like to put my reply under each question.  In the past, being able to see the [/QUOTE] stuff it was easy to copy/paste the open and close markers around each segment and reply in between.

Like that.

I see what I proposed is still not ideal - have to do some more poking around to learn how to correctly attribute quotes to whoever said them.

10 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi guys:

Can someone explain to me how I can split a quote in a reply?   Frequently someone will ask a series of questions in one post and I like to put my reply under each question.  In the past, being able to see the [/QUOTE] stuff it was easy to copy/paste the open and close markers around each segment and reply in between.

OK, got it now.  In the middle of a quote, you split it into pieces by hitting Return twice.

10 minutes ago, Superdad said:

But we can't see those anymore and I get the impression that the Multiquote plus sign is for quoting from several posts in one reply.

And then at the end you can just begin your comment below the field of the quote.

2 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Just tested to quote you. Works fine :)

It's actually a little tricky.  I can't split-quote you if I try to split in the middle of one of your lines, or if I try to double-Return at the beginning of a line.  I have to double-Return at the end of one of your lines to reply in the middle of quoting you.

2 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

(I use this reply as a test)

IMG_0484.PNG

Anyone have further split-quoting hints?

7 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Just tested to quote you.

OK, I tried to split a line using the "highlight and quote" feature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

Works fine :)

But as you can see, it misattributed the second part of R1200CL's quote to me.

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

Studies also show that cables don't matter.

So if all CA readers don't find the new style more readable, this proves cables matter? ;)

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

+1

To which post number?  Oh, wait....

Hmm, not so sure about combining posts now - the last one combined two replies of mine to two different people several minutes apart, which might become confusing.  Let's see if this one gets combined too.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

I suspect it does that if you make multiple posts with nobody posting in between.

Yes.  The problems are:

- Several people may have posted to the thread in between the first and second original comment to which you replied, though no one posted between your two replies (see how potentially confusing this is to think about?)

- The comments to which you replied may have had two (or more) totally different subjects.

Putting these all together makes these time and subject matter differences feel nonexistent to a reader, potentially leading to confusion; and creates a multi-quoted post the writer may well not have intended.

9 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Chris, this is about the thumbs up (and down) thing.

My reputation is obviously low because I hardly have posted since the "like" feature was introduced in the old forum.

CAPreview03.png

10 hours ago, gmgraves said:

You should probably delete it, especially if you don't know what it means. Without context, it's prejudicial (and it's really prejudicial ANYWAY! It makes other responders think that people with low numbers are somehow not worthy to respond to or to even take heed of.). It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the number of posts one has made. Is it the number of "likes" or "arrow-ups" at the bottom of each post? do they average out between up-arrows and down arrows? Is it an arbitrary number? Who knows?  I think it is inappropriate to this forum. 

It's just a measure of how much Chris likes you.

3 hours ago, semente said:

If I start a post and then wish to cancel it, where do I click?

Don't submit the reply.

5 minutes ago, bogi said:

Hi, in each web browser known to me you can press Ctrl and use mouse wheel to adjust font size. the setting is remembered for each site in your browser.

If he's using pinch-zoom, we are likely not talking about a mouse...

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

All of this great feedback coming from the guy who design this :~)

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 8.58.52 AM.png

Hey, you can read it in low light.  :D

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Looking into enabling a "source" button for everyone.

Could be nice for corner cases.