IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

There was no "Thank Mr. 'The Computer Audiophile'" thread prominently attached to the front page.  

At first blush my reaction to the blocky duotone severity of the new site was far removed from hopes it would advance ease of use and utility.  I've come here to commend you and admit how wrong my biased opinion of the changes was before delving in sufficiently.  The lack of distractions overwhelming any number of other places on the web more than makes up for a little eye strain.  You and all who gainfully contributed to the new minimal format did very well.

The new replies popup notification has really come to the fore as one's attention wanders onto other sites following the chain of reports at the Munich High End Show.  As well as gaining full sized photos with a second click.   

• 2 weeks later...

On a desktop computer, a few times I have accidentally hit the quote button when trying to insert a hyperlink into text.  The quote box then becomes impossible to remove.  A few days later if I click on the same thread it will ask if I want to remove previous text, the empty quote box.  

Is there any way for users to clear this at will?

What worked?

Obviously not the concerted effort I had been putting forth inside the box. 

Which is to say simply backspacing into it did work.  Yes, I feel as dumb right now as I am appreciative to mansr for reeducating me on how to use a comment box.  

• 4 weeks later...

Chris, would you consider two ideas?  

Creating a hidden sub-forum (tautology?) as barren earth for leisurely blooding one's like minded companions at whatever lengths the forum medium can withstand.  A place anyone among the general membership can invite another to visit should they exhibit certain tendencies or should they wish to have a few good words with them.  

Limit daily post count  on the open forum to an acceptable number for the volume and frequency of topical matters that can be reasonably expected to draw a response.  Task your users to make better use of their words and place more thought into the responses of others that might follow.  If that limit was 10 posts/day it would still mean 100 responses could be added to a single thread by 10 people very interested in it.  I suspect they'd soon prefer to engage each other at great lengths in the "safe space" suggested above.

These are just ideas which could be implemented if their selective nature was not deemed counter to the environment you have created online.

10 hours ago, Superdad said:

Anyway, hope it goes smoothly and that everyone here will welcome all the new members from HydrogenAudio.  x-D

Now I don't want anyone reading into this or getting upset.  Within two clicks of landing on their front page I was rewarded with this jewel.  :eek:

Feel free to make other suggestions as to how to make links more visible to people who can't see subtle changes in color and faint underlines, which are apparently as major of a sin as the garish gray on white color scheme so many modern sites seem to be adopting.

Rib poking aside, I hope the transition starts going more seamlessly and I can figure out how Superdad came up with the answer to his own question.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Color settings as of now will attract more women now. Girls actually. 

4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

KabyLake01.thumb.png.e4104bbf0e8dd6c360294931ae1cffc1.png

Someone has their priorities set to excitable this morning.  :x

@The Computer Audiophile Thank you for keeping the advanced features like content restore in place.  Get some rest, your long night of work is appreciated.  The site looks and works great.

I hope my quote from Hydrogen Audio, as we guessed which forum was being merged with us while you re-indexed the site,  didn't play into your decision to change the site again so soon.  It was too funny not to post given a chance they were the one.

Feel free to make other suggestions as to how to make links more visible to people who can't see subtle changes in color and faint underlines, which are apparently as major of a sin as the garish gray on white color scheme so many modern sites seem to be adopting.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

You do realize you've just expressed gratitude for advice from someone whose forum looks like this:

Phasure.com.png

You do realize you've just expressed ingratitude for participation from someone whose forum makes a lot more of this.   $$$

:P

@The Computer AudiophileDid we lose the ability to just paste an image link into the chat box and have it embed?  It might just be my weird offshoot of Chromium browser.  Which is to say it might work, just not for me.  Very trifling request born out of pure laziness on my part.  

Example:  This would have produced the image instead of a link.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/uploads/monthly_2017_03/self-thumb.thumb.jpg.f3469e830c65dc5850626f2a7e0c6dc4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 9:07 PM, Booster MPS said:

Really odd text overwrite here:

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at Aug 26, 2017  9.06.30 PM.png

I reported this bug as well in the recent past.  Half a day later the text displayed as normal when Chris replied.  That is not the case now.

On 7/18/2017 at 3:16 PM, rando said:

This glitch has been popping up a bit lately.  Refreshing is no help but revisiting the page in a few minutes normally clears it up.  Issue?

• 2 weeks later...

As I suspected. it shows a link to watch it under your email because you are logged in.  Should you switch to a browser you are not logged into any google account on or log out of your email +clear cookies it removes any trace of your email.  

In brief, you or someone logged into your personal email are the only ones capable of seeing the option to watch it later linked to your account.  

:|

David, I happened by and saw Chris gave this a non-critical site priority, but you were anxious to receive an answer.  So I went about using 3 other browsers and every step I described in the answer I gave above.  Which should be clear enough reasoning why I will not octuple check again.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to register a mild amount of displeasure/disappointment at the amount of dead internal links resultant from the two forum software updates this year.  Say for instance someone with a five figure post count links to their extensive thoughts on a given issue.  

Whole lotta this going on everywhere I search today.

RpjskPm.png

Tsk tsk, there are no shortcuts to a job well done.  :)

I understand how it happened, and yes it does just take a little legwork to parse links as needed, moving the full site while getting yelled at synergizing hyperlocal painpoints. 9_9  It would be appreciated if future iterations treated plugging this hole as a wise business decision.  

I seem to remember some turmoil in discussing how best to reclaim quality from messy shotgun war threads containing a few really well stated bits of info somewhere within.  Granted I chose a blog post with one voice for simplicity sake.  Direct link to a lengthy forum post of such high quality is basically the same though.  Rare.  

Thanks for listening.

• 3 weeks later...