IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

Hi guys:

Can someone explain to me how I can split a quote in a reply?   Frequently someone will ask a series of questions in one post and I like to put my reply under each question.  In the past, being able to see the [/QUOTE] stuff it was easy to copy/paste the open and close markers around each segment and reply in between.

But we can't see those anymore and I get the impression that the Multiquote plus sign is for quoting from several posts in one reply.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

21 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Ok, you can add a new activity stream which lists "unread content" (threads) with the "content you follow" view.  Or you can use the "content you follow view" but that posts duplicate posts of the same thread.  I want the "last unread post" from the "content you follow" activity stream with no dupes.

Condensed or expanded with no dupes would do it!

Sorry Larry, but I've now created 4 different Activity Streams and none of them list just  one entry per thread (subscribed threads containing new posts).

Heck, at this point I'd even be happy with a Thread List of my Subscribed threads, with the ones having the the most recent posts (read or not) show up at the top.  That's essentially what the old app's Subscribed tab did.

Thanks,

ALEX

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

I had no trouble getting the view I think you're after. Just mess with the controls until it displays what you want, then save the settings as a new "stream" which you can also make the default view. It's not immediately obvious what all the options do, but just about anything is possible.

Can you take a screen shot of your custom activity stream settings that yield the view (of just threads I subscribe to that have most recent activity on top) which I describe above?  I keep trying...

Thanks. 

Are CA’s daily digests of "followed topics” (aka subscribed threads) going out?  Yesterday afternoon I reset the notification prefs for all 900 of the threads the system had record of my being subscribed to—setting them for daily digest notification (except for a few I went back to and asked for immediate notification).  Previously the dailies would arrive in my e-mail box at 9:00 p.m. (PST).  But I did not receive any "digests" last night.

Separately, and I know this is a business choice on Chris' part, and something I gave him an earful about a couple of years ago:
To me it does not make sense that paid members don't see the ads--and don't even have (AFAIK) the option to turn them on.  This puts supporting CA with membership dues at odds with advertisers--who want the eyeballs of those most dedicated members.
Personally, I let my membership lapse just so I could see the ads (without having to log off).  And as a manufacturer who plans to soon start advertising (can't believe we got this far without ANY ads), it bothers me to think that my ads will not reach paid CA members.  Chris' excuse was that very few people have paid membership.  But but we know that at least everyone who posts a For Sale item in that section is a paid member.
End of rant.  I know Chris has much more pressing matters.  Sorry for the divergence...

--Alex C.

P.S.  Really liking the wider width today!  :D  The emoticon library needs some fun audio/computer related choices.  Anyone up for designing a few?  Skip the headphone emoticons though...
35 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Try the new test activity stream. Does this work how you want?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/discover/59/

Hey Chris: 

I was briefly able to try your "Test" stream (stumbled upon it) a few minutes ago before you deleted it.

How did you make it?!  That "Test" stream was almost exactly what I have been begging for: A list of Followed Topics with Unread posts (as opposed to a list of unread posts in Topics that I follow).

Please bring this back--or give/tell us the parameters--and allow us to further customize that!  THANKS.

--Alex C.

P.S. I know that this belongs in the thread (uh sorry, Topic) on Activity Streams.  But you did the Test stream for someone here and seem to be right in the thick of it here.

Well now that I have Streams defined which list just Topics and not every post, I am a exceedingly happy with the new CA!

Only three things could make if better for me:

1) Less vertical white space!  Members' multi-line signatures have huge amounts of wasted vertical space, and even the text of posts could handle a point or two less leading.  Would gain scrolling efficiency without sacrificing readability.

2) I do wish that a single "carriage return" did not result in a giant paragraph break.  I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it still is a bit jarring.  And besides, when typing a small list of items it is often not desirable to have full paragraph breaks between lines.  Just seems wasteful. 

3) The all-white background is tiring on my eyes--day and night.  I don't mind it behind text, but how about making the background at the sides some neutral, low intensity grey?

Thanks for considering all the feedback from members Chris.  And congratulations on what looks--just from the outside of course--to have been a very smooth transition for such a complete replacement of the site.

Best,

--Alex

P.S.  I clicked on the menu/tab for "Store," hoping to see some available CA swag.  T-shirts? Thumb drives?  Nothing!  I'm sure you'll get on that in your "spare" time. :P

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

One font and size I've been considering is used on Medium. 

https://medium.com/personal-growth/your-desk-will-not-attend-your-funeral-779515a81dd3#.ojmlysmzl

Hi Chris:

I am enjoying the new site and all the refinements.  

Especially like the new formatted daily digests.  FAR better than getting a dozen separate daily thread updates in a hard to parse text form (used to be hard to tell what was post and what was quote).  Any way to let the member specify what time the digest gets compiled and delivered?  I use to enjoy the 9:00 p.m. (PST) time--now it comes hours earlier.

But PLEASE, PLEASE, do not switch to a serif font!

Also, what happened to our Sent Messages box?  I had a LOT of messages in mine--some of which I referred back to (for information or reply reuse).  Sad to see those gone.

Lastly, with Search:  We used to be able to search for recent posts by a given member, but now while one can click the + to Search by Author, the search will not be performed unless a search term is entered.  Any way to adjust that?

[And yes, I know I can: Search for the Member>click on them>click on See Their Activity>then filter on Posts;  That brings up their posts in reverse chronological order.]

Obviously this is not a high priority item, but please keep it in mind when you start refining the Search section.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

On 3/31/2017 at 0:51 PM, richard kimber said:

One thing that I think would be nice (well for me anyway) would be a way of indicating, in the unread content, what are new threads since my last visit - perhaps by having a different colour for their title. I've no idea whether this is possible, but some way of quickly seeing what's new (as opposed to additions to what's old) would be nice.

I strongly second Mr. Kimber's suggestion!  Though perhaps I have not looked closely to see if I can just create an Activity filter to show just newly started threads topics.

But it really would be great to be able to easily spot the recently started topics.  Every few days I look for new ones to subscribe follow, but have to rescan the titles of the old ones bolded the same as the new ones.

On 4/2/2017 at 6:05 AM, mansr said:

If Claude Shannon himself joined today and made one post, it would probably be the best post ever on this forum.

It would be the best ever even if he just said "boo!" since he has been dead for 16 years... o.O

On 4/2/2017 at 6:05 AM, mansr said:

I'd rather see the post count also relegated to the popup rather than cluttering the main view. In many web forums, the actual content seems to take a back seat to garish avatars, half-page signatures, and bragging stats. This new design for CA is a very welcome break from that tradition.

Guess you've never visted some of thos Asian audio forums where most of their posts are filled with giant moving emojis strange graphics.  Talk about disconcerting. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Minor iOS bug (observed on iPhone, Safari, iOS 10.3.1):

When composing content, hitting return doesn't automatically toggle the uppercase mode for the first letter. Interestingly, if I backspace to correct, then the toggle fires, and the first letter I type is correctly uppercase. 

Yes, I have noticed that both on my iPhone and iPad.  Is that something that can be fixed?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Duke40 said:

Chris, is it possible to increase the size of the green dot (or star, if you have commented in a thread) , make it larger ?    Or even move it to the right hand side of someones avatar ? (When viewing CA on a mobile device).

Like to click on this to get to the last unread message, maybe it's just me, but I sometimes miss clicking correctly as it is a bit small (specifically when using mobile devices), end up either clicking the avatar (above the dot) or users name (under the dot).

I wonder if it is just me or if others also are having trouble.  Your thoughts ?

+10!  I find I have to zoom in on iDevices before attempting click the star spangled or the dot.

5 hours ago, rickca said:

Where did this group called Annoying come from anyway?  

It was created by my uploading the e-mail addresses of the CA members who send the most messages to me.  xD

But seriously, this explains why half the time my searches turn up nothing--and the other half the time they come back with a bunch of posts by @rickca  :D

(J.K. I love ya Rick.)

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks ShawnC. CA just "acquired" another forum and we are in the process of importing the forum posts and members.

WHAT?!!  What forum?

I wrote a longish and humorous post--with guesses--about this an hour or so ago, but the site went offline by the time I hit "Submit."  

Anyway, hope it goes smoothly and that everyone here will welcome all the new members from HydrogenAudio.  x-D

I just want to know what is the other audio forum that CA is about to absorb! :ph34r:

There are lots of audio 'zines, but not that many active audio forums in the US.  
Head-Fi is out--Jude and Co. are just finishing a big independence transition of their own.  Of course we can scratch off all the odd-fits such as the Asylum, WBF, etc.  And there are some tiny ones that I don't think you would bother with.

My two best guesses are AVrev.com or AudioCircle--the latter would be a good fit.

Now if you are talking overseas or Canada, that's a wider field.

I did just notice that head-case.org uses the exact same forum engine as CA.  Heck, the color scheme is the same.  

Did I guess it Chris? Did I?! Did I?!  Do I win a prize?!  x-D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Several times recently I have encountered what I think is a bug on mobile (iOS):

When trying to insert a link--by highlighting the text, tapping the link chain icon, and pasting the link--it appears that I am unsuccessful until after I submit the post.  That is, the text I want to become a link does not show as underlined until after posting. 

Even stranger is that if I try multiple times with the same text, then some other text--mine above or quoted--may show that strange text overwritten on top of other text. That's a bug that I know others have seen once in a while.  

Of course now that I finally post about this, it appears to be fixed or I am doing something different now. Maybe I only encountered it when editing my own post and trying to put a link in then. 

Anybody else come across this?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this question was answered before:

After preparing to reply in a topic using the multi-quote button--hitting the + for a few posts--when I go to type in the edit box there is no way to put any of my own text ABOVE the first quote.  

This is bothersome as sometimes I wish to make a short statement prior to the quotes.  I'm sure there must be an easy way around this.  Please tell me.

Thanks,

--Alex C.