IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

1 minute ago, Theobetley said:

I have to admit I missed CA over the weekend. Glad you are back. Looks good but do we no longer have new posts?

Top Right of the page above the CA logo there is an "unread content" link.

One question Chris, the formatting seems to be rather narrow on my Chrome browser with lots of white space in the margin.  Given the length of some of our posts scrolling down might not be convenient.  Any thoughts on that?

@The Computer Audiophile (just trying the tagging there....)

Thanks for the reply.  Will be interesting to get other's experience on column width.  The font and layout is VERY readable and pops on the page.

Additional question - within a thread as you read, there was previously a link where you could "jump to first unread" post within the thread.  Does that link still live on the new forum.

1 minute ago, labjr said:

I'm lost on this new site. Tapatalk doesn't work anymore? What are the current options for mobile?

Response follows from Chris re: Taptalk.  It's intended now to access the site via phone/tablet browser.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I really struggle to see the business model for bringing it back.

In addition, Tapatalk as a company isn't fun to work with and is always looking out for itself first and foremost, as if thinking short term only. They've made bad mistakes and only changed them once I continued to show them the problems that they said were solved numerous times etc...

I think the desired outcome was to have some community driven promotion/demotion of the score on contribution to the forum.  I can see how the original implementation falls short of that.  One thing that has not been mentioned is that other/most forums designate moderators to provide some structure and control on the content.  Designating forum mods is not something that I am promoting as we have come through many endless debates without them.  The ship for going that route seems to have sailed.

At the moment I really don't see a solution that would help a new member to sort through posts short of investing the time to read and decide for themselves. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, austinpop said:

I'm open to all reasonable solutions. Stickies posts are a good option too.

I like the stickies idea and there is certainly a use for this.  The issues with stickies could be two fold:  1. will people read them and 2. sometimes they can become overwhelming if not used judiciously.  For instance opening the software thread it could be a negative if there are a ton of stickies at the top that break up the flow of current topics versus what should indeed be a stickie.  Just a thought.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It would work like this:

OP of a thread PMs me asking for moderator capability of his thread. 

I enable it for that single thread thread for the OP. 

The OP can then edit and remove posts as he sees fit. 

Certainly some pros and cons with this. 

I think that this could work.  I struggle some because not every thread is "worthy" of active moderation, nor is every original poster a rational moderator.  I am not sure how you communicate and leverage those points.