IGNORED

Please help - network connectivity issue

Hi! I have run into a problem and was looking for some help/advice. I have posted this issue on the Mediamonkey forums also (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45156) but wanted to draw on the expertise here.

Just yesterday I had Mediamonkey up and running. It is running on a Windows 7 latop. My music files are stored on a NAS in a different room, connected via ethernet cable to the laptop. I mounted the network location as a virtual drive, and scanned the contents of the drive using Mediamonkey. It was playing tracks with no problems.

Today, something went wrong when I was trying to set up Monkeytunes. I decided to have a look at the network (IP etc) settings. I connected to my wireless network so that Monkeytunes could communicate with Mediamonkey.

Now I have a problem. I can access the files on the NAS through windows via the mounted drive (Z: - \192.168.1.100MP3). However, Mediamonkey does not seem to recognise the mounted drive. It did yesterday. Now my entire library is "grey" and I cannot play any tracks. If I double-click a music file from explorer, Mediamonkey loads up but it does not play the track!

I have posted my IPconfig below if it of any use.

Thanks very much!

Dan

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8cc3:a9e8:8579:589e%12

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter NAS:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::808:86b4:a263:81c8%11

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.{17E22141-DD95-41A5-BEF9-2B65E0C59468}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{8C907C4F-B6C5-4CF1-A1DA-B21CB2E1C185}:

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

This might help - scroll down to the Virtual Hard Drive bit. The important thing to remember is that a virtual drive will not, AFAIK, survive a reboot. You have to mount it on each occasion.

Do you actually need to mount the share as a virtual drive? If the folder is shared normally across the network then the OS will always find it when it boots and MM will be able to connect. Does having it 'virtual' give you any real advantage other than speedier 'explorer' access?

If you want to stick to the virtual drive approach then try a google for a tool, to automate the necessary 'subst' commands, when you boot up. 'Visual Subst' is one such tool that springs to mind - it provides a graphical front end to the 'subst' routine, generates the necessary script, and can be used to mount/unmount drives on boot up/shut down.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the reply. Yes I need something that survives a reboot. However, in my experience the mounted drive can survive a reboot if you select the "reconnect at logon" option. If you know of a better method I'm all ears!

What I don't understand is why Mediamonkey

a) does not find the mounted drive when you to go rescan folders or go to the "Location" node in the tree

b) why I cannot play a file from the NAS in Mediamonkey when I double-click on it

Confoosed!

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Manage the Library

and

MM on a network

I hear that Win7 has greatly improved the handling of vhd's but I've yet to try it out in the heat of battle. As this seems to be specific to MM, rather than to vhd behaviour, then I would start by looking in MM's ini files and that you have everything located where it should be. Article 49 does seem to be rather specific about storage locations of the various files involved in running things from a network drive.

If you scrap everything and set it up again, and it again fails at some point, then it is almost bound to be a problem with addressing, of some sort, within MM. It is likely that you are not the only one that is confoosed - MM has joined you! :)

Still, it's cold and miserable and wet up there in the wilds of Scotland - what else would you be doing to while away the winter nights!

This shouldn't be that complicated. I have a feeling we are outsmarting ourselves :~)

Here is how I do this with MM and my NAS.

Map the M drive to \10.0.1.33Audiophile

Set MM to watch M:Music

Add the music to my library as if the M drive was local. It really doesn't make a difference if the drive is on a NAS or anything else as long as there is a mapped drive.

After every reboot the M drive is still present and MM has no issues.

I tried to follow the conversation above but got kind of lost because it seemed over complicated. Maybe I missed something here. Please let me know, I'm only trying to help :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I agree that this should be easy! The problem is, Mediamonkey does not SEE the mapped drive. It does not appear in the list when I go to "scan files or folders". I don't understand why it does not, as it used to.

I've decided to delete the library and start again. Although I cannot select the folder to scan in, if I input the address \192.168.1.100MP3 then it seems to scan that correctly. Hopefully this will continue to work ok!

AAAAAARGGGH!

I had managed to get everything working, by re-scanning my library in Mediamonkey at \192.168.1.100MP3. Good.

About 15 minutes ago, playback seemed to suddenly stop (I don't think it had reached the end of the track). I notice that the firewire light on my Weiss DAC2 is flashing. I have turned it off & on, unplugged & replugged the cable, but cannot seem to get it to connect via firewire. The Weiss software says "no devices found". And the tracks in Mediamonkey are not greyed out, though when I select one to play it goes grey and does not play. And Mediamonkey does not seem to play files stored on the local (internal hard disc) drive either.

What the * is going on!? In the Weiss control panel, I went to the system tab then pressed "scan now". Results to this:

Looking for OHCI 1394 Host Controllers...

1:

Vendor : (1180) Ricoh

Chipset: (0832) R5C832

Revision: 05

Support: Not compatible.

Notes : This controller is not compatible with DICE drivers.

Done.

Is this trying to say that my firewire port is not compatible? It was working before! I specifically switched my Dell laptop to a Sony Vaio as I was informed that the Dell firewire port was not compatible!

Please save my relationship with computer audio!

Dan

Chris - that worked! Now the FireWire light stays on. Even better, MM doesn't "grey" the tracks now!

Still none the wiser as to why this happened. I suspect some kind of driver issue. The Weiss software still thinks that the FireWire is not compatible, but it works! Any thoughts on which laptops or FireWire ports are "compatible"?

Thanks again

Dan