IGNORED

Best DAC for $10000 budget

It is definately Meitner MA-1.

Ditto that - EMM Labs is very supportive of their gear and don't end existing products only to introduce something "new," like most. They are amazing at supporting their existing units - V2 upgrade just released this year and a quick turn-around to EMM Labs proved again it was totally worthwhile.

There are some amazing deals on Meitner / EMM Labs DACs on CAM atm and totally worth picking up either at the listed prices:

Meitner MA-1

and the higher-end unit

EMM Labs DAC2X

Both Canadian listed so cheap if you're American with power USD$ (about 1.37 times the value).

Sorry for your loss... Please considering donating some cash to the needy charity of your choice.

As to DACs, go for DAVE if you can stretch a bit. If you are using a preamp, then maybe the Playback Merlot would be an excellent choice as well. Especially with HQPlayer oversampling everything to DSD 256...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I heard the Lampizator Atlantic (standard) and Big7 in a couple of systems - one moderately priced in audiophile terms and one very high end one; have to say that I preferred the Kii system. The Kii converts everything to 24/192 and I purposely brought along multiple DSD tracks to see how they sound through it. I thought they sounded fine. But I can totally envision someone else not being thrilled by them at all. The sound wasn't sterile, but definitely more in the direction of pro or very revealing equipment, and less in the direction of "traditional" sounding audio. I myself was a bit surprised I liked them so much (see present system below), as usually I'm less convinced by extremely "detailed" and "revealing" systems.

Dani, the ProLogos is a $70k system and very dynamic. It converts all to 24/96 and is a powerhouse of an implementation.

However, my track is an exceptional vinyl rip to DSD128 and I could bet my eye teeth that they Kii would be beaten. There is something to the midrange for jazz vocals with an analog sourced DSD128 transfer. No pcm conversion will touch it! It is well withing the sweetspot of high rate DSD...playing to its strength

If you get a chance, check it out directly. PM me so I can tell you about sourcing.

Hi Goose, Sorry indeed for your loss, even if Gramma was old. Its hard to lose our foundation people.

Stereo gave some nice recommendations, but I would also like toinclude the Lampizator Golden Atlantic with additional DSD512 module, the T+A Dac8 DSD if you mostly plan to upsample all to DSD512, Bricasti M1, the Acqua Formula Dac ($14k) but PCM only, Phasure NOS1a (PCM only), Chord DAVE ($13K), and finally the Dartzeel LHB208 which is a Ethernet Dac with a built in Dartzeel 200wpc integrated amp for less than $15K. It does up to DSD128 as well...you just need to connect to a NAS with ethernet cable and you are good to go.

I like the Tube sound so I have a Lampi Golden Gate with all the bells and whistles.

Point is for $10K (dac price range), the world is your Oyster!

Another option is to go full active, a la Goldmund, KEF, Linn, Kii. Where the speaker is the source.

Actually, its better to define a total system budget of say $25K and take a wholistic approach.

I second Wisnon approach to look at the system overall and not focus on one component. In the long run this strategic view will reward you with better synergy and save you a lot of $$$

Just my 2c

On 3/15/2017 at 8:44 AM, Apesbrain said:

Take all but $50,000 to a competent financial manager and purchase a Meridian Audio system consisting of a pair of 7200.2 active speakers and a Media Core 200. Get a subscription to Tidal Masters and and control via iPad. You'll have practically anything you'd like to hear at your fingertips and the MC200 can also store up to 2,000 of your CDs. Take the $15,000 you still have in your pocket and give it to a local food bank.

Might be the best advice (except you should educate yourself to be your own competent financial manager - it's not rocket science)

So how does one put together a system looking at the overall system to do it?  Seems you have to start somewhere to me.  Is there some gestaltic approach to system evaluation?  Seems some components are more important in your approach than others. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

If you're just starting out on the hobby, I suggest lowering your budget and start off with something less high-end first. Most likely you're not really quite sure your preference in sound. Also, pre/power amp, speakers, and power management has as much, if not more, of an effect in the sound signature of the system as the DAC. Take your time, and start off slowly first. You'll likely enjoy the hobby more that way.

On 3/14/2017 at 2:15 AM, Silly goose said:

Hi guys and thanks in advance,

I'm a long time reader of Computer Audiophile, just haven't been ready to take the plunge into serious audio gear,and had the courage to post on this forum yet. A few weeks ago my grama died and left me close to a million dollars in inheritance. As sad as the news is, she was very sick for a long time, and it is likely for the best anyways. On a brighter note, I now have some serious disposable cash to invest in a dream system. What do you guys recommend?

I would say you need to specify a bit more: amp and speakers for example. With a ~10k USD budget you are able to choose from a broad swath of equipment with sound character from analytical to mellow. For example, I have tube amplification and I would likely not get a DAC with a tubed output stage.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

10 hours ago, bumperdoo said:

Why not?

I have no preconceptions... But in principle I have a lot of tube coloration at it stands... I'm however very open minded.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

12 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

There is a lot of advice here from people with tons of experience, but very little agreement among them.  Why is that?

Is it because we all hear differently and there is only a "best for me" judgement that can be made?

Is it because most of us have only heard a few choices and thus can't really speak to the whole DAC category?

Is it because what you hear at a dealer or audio show will sound so different at home that home testing must be the final determinant?

Is it because synergy between the DAC and all of the other components really matters, so there is no best other than in the context of a whole system?

Or is it "all of the above"?

My main takeaway from all this advice would be to move gradually, test as many choices as possible and ultimately listen to your own ears. 

Because a lot of people here have different experiences. 

Because a lot of people here have different temperaments which leads them to solving problems differently.  

I believe those two are the reason for the bulk of it.

In my case I wasn't suggesting what I did.  I was suggesting with my experience trying a few different approaches and some serendipity over the years what I think is the quickest most direct way for someone without my experience to benefit from what that experience has taught me.  Namely that speakers trump all the rest.  That you have to get a little experience to find the speaker that will speak to your musical desires.  Everything else is subordinate to that and your speaker choice will have effects on every other choice you make. 

I don't doubt the reasoning of others was much the same, and yet they didn't offer the same solution.

Upon further consideration I fear it may be a fool's errand.  For instance if someone had given you advice, good advice, and picked the best system you have ever owned, the one you find the most satisfying now from day one, would you have realized that?  I have given the same advice to a few people over the years I gave in this thread.  They fall into two groups.  Group 1 the larger group, that like many of us here, like trying things out and never settle on a good system they just let be for years and years of enjoyment.  Group 2, which consists of two people.  They spent more time and asked more questions than group 1.  They let me show them various speakers and what the tradeoffs in their budgets were, and then made a choice.  Those two have not changed anything since (other than adding new sources as they came around).  They also are both very happy, and listen to plenty of music over their system.

So the real answer to group 1 is don't spend too very much.  Go slow and enjoy the journey.  You can always spend more later on when you know what you want.  Group 2 has done at least pretty well buying well and buying once.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

One, there are some good ways to build a system when starting from scratch.

First, choose speakers which fit your room and budget.  For example, do not expect to get satisfying sound from 2 way stand mounts if your room is 20"x35'!

Next, choose amplification that suits your speaker choice, make sure that your amp can drive your speakers effortlessly, and that the sonic character matches-do this by listening to the amp speaker combination and checking specifications.  For example, a 4 ohm speaker with 86 dB sensitivity is going to need a powerful amplifier capable of high current output.

Then choose your source to suit the sound signature of your amp/speaker combo, again, the only way to do this is by listening.  Best to do this by audtioning the source component with the amp and speakers in your room.

Finally, fine tune and season to taste via cable selection and various tweaks... 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I heard a report he was placed in Witness Protection.

Is that Witness Protection or did you mean Witless Projection?

Check the nature of his posts before he opened this thread.

Wanted to warn you all early on, but did not want to guess it wrong...

Caveat emptor, , which translate "my cave is empty".

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

On ‎14‎-‎3‎-‎2017 at 7:15 AM, Silly goose said:

Hi guys and thanks in advance,

I'm a long time reader of Computer Audiophile, just haven't been ready to take the plunge into serious audio gear,and had the courage to post on this forum yet. A few weeks ago my grama died and left me close to a million dollars in inheritance. As sad as the news is, she was very sick for a long time, and it is likely for the best anyways. On a brighter note, I now have some serious disposable cash to invest in a dream system. What do you guys recommend?

Personally I would start with a more modest budget. Spend 2k on a DAC max. Listen to it for a while using good speakers, amps etc.

Then take your time to listen to many dacs and other audio as you can. Take time to find out what you like. Buying a 10k amp because someone recommended it on a forum can lead to disappointment.

I like EMM labs/Meitner DACs, Schiit, Metrum. I've heard MSB Dac. Was not impressed.

Also keep other options in mind as well, like Aavik U300 and Devialet.

[br]