IGNORED

how to downgrade firmware 18120R on SONY HAP-Z1ES

Hello, 

A few months later... this has happened to me too, with another external DAC:

I got a M2tech hi face two, which I know it worked with the Z1ES because I tested it successfully last year.

I downgraded to 18033R from the last 18120R.

18120R brings improvement to 32bit WAV,  and this causes issue with almost all 24bit or even 16 bit files: all files, even 24bit or 16bit files, are read with the Z1ES on external DAC as if they were 32bit, and thus causes a divide by ten (I forgot the maths behind that, sorry) of the volume.

Simple thing to do at home, without sending to repair center:

put the Z1ES in standby (off)

press the Home button while pressing briefly on the Standby button, to bring it on.

after some seconds, you are in the service menu.

there you can restore previous firmware (as well as restart, reindex database)

Hope it helps.

Hope another firmware update too correcting this only issue.

By the way, if one Sony guy ever land there :

in a Z5ES, I would like :

-a greater processor, to give a snappy feeling

-a greater DAC, like AK4497, which brings better dynamics. I loved BB DAC though, but strangely, not like it has been implemented in the Z1ES, maybe because the sound was not enough generous, plentiful

-audio filters like in the XA50ES or in the JA20ES (Plain, Sharp, Normal) which could suit different persons, but also different individual mood

-Spotify Hifi (lossless)

-Google Chromecast support (one more licence!) it is everywhere now

-one inch less in height

-a widescreen horizontal 18:9 (no need of 4K!!, 1080p is far enough) with fonts and layout optimised for reading 3-4meters away

-a bit more buttons on the remote to navigate in the menus (not too much buttons though!)

-navigate inside favorite radio channels with the remote

-same quality build

-a better app, like the NT-505 (based on screenshots, since it is still not available)

Season greeting’s!

• 8 months later...

Hello Otto,

I understand your HAP-Z1ES has been bought last month and only 1 firmware is shipped inside.

I would say bad luck, I’m not aware of any unofficial downgrade solution. Maybe Sony could help with that, under the rationale it breaks compatibility with M2Tech Hifave Two (third party for Sony), and you bought this Z1ES for the sole purpose of doing that, but you certainly would have to reach level 2 or level 3 support team, if it exists... again good luck with that.

I still use sometimes the M2Tech hiface Two plugged in the Z1ES with 18033R, but I now prefer the onboard DAC, as there are two analog output for feeding two different speakers, with no complexities, and which is still a good DAC.

you want DSD to coax :

-not sure it can be done with existing products.

if you want DSD DOP, M2tech hiface two, even the ‘evo’ version is ruled out. I do not know other devices that would do that.

=>why do you want DSD over  coax?

-USB is now better and more flexible to transport DSD signals. SPDIF has been designed for PCM.

From that perspective Z1ES only does DSD DOP over USB, in other words, no direct DSD possible through USB.

There certainly now are other better streamers, but all are out of my budget.

Though I would be curious if the NT-505 has been improved and polished, so that it removes all known and less highlighted flaws of the previous iteration NT-503. Distribution of this product is now done by Onkyo in the US, so coming months will tell. No known changes in Europe on the distribution side.

But Z1ES is still a keeper for various reasons

you got your own music collection you still like Spotify

you got no broadband connection

But reasons to change are increasingly important :

you want TIDAL, Qobuz, or Other online services inside one box.

you need Direct DSD

you badly want the trendy MQA (not for me, thanks)

Still there are no affordable 2.0 or 2.1 pre amp in the digital domain available, with a DAC and the processing power for post-processing the signal (volume control, filtering, equalizing, DRC). Alternatively a digital ‘tape monitoring’ open standard that would permit the chaining of digital boxes on the signal path would be an innovation...

One interesting example, but not complete, is the prosumer Rme ADI-2 Pro, which could show to the legacy hifi industry the right things to integrate.

NAD has begun to do that sort of things in the M series but the resulting prosumer devices are far too restricted for me. 

So you may prefer want a combo streamer+pre amp for simplicity sake. NT-505 do that with all the right formats. But again no digital outputs.

Sorry I diverted the subject :

-why do you want DSD over coax?

-you my want to exchange the z1es with an older one if you want to use your hiface two

*If your DAC does understand dsd dop, then it has an usb input that is dsd capable : plug it this way if you can. Scenario where you can’t would be that you have two sources with USB output, then buy another DAC or wait for a DACwth dual or more USB inputs? unless it is a more exotic configuration?

*m2tech hiface two supports only PCM, afaik.

Though, maybe try their latest firmware: (I’ve not tried it yet. Do it with enough free time, you can brick your device when doing a firmware update)

https://lnx.m2tech.biz/fr/firmware-update/

*Z1ES is not configured to convert DSD to PCM on the USB output, sadly but understandably for the Sony ecosystem, development cost, and almost certainly ip protection

In my opinion, if you have DSD64 rips, the internal DAC is more than enough.

With NT-505 you will not need the Z1ES anymore, it is an integrated high-end DAC + streamer, which does PCM and DSD :

https://www.hifi.nl/artikel/26685/Review-TEAC-NT-505-DACnetwerkspeler-en-CG-10M-klokgenerator.html

https://www.spill.hk/audiovisual/teac-ud-505-review/

Difficult to get though.

Plus, you would need to find another solution to rip SACD though, or keep the Z1ES for this sole purpose...

I will never switch again to the latest firmware on the Z1ES, sorry Otto.

Maybe if I find an opportunity, I would get the NT-505 some day, but it certainly would mean that I would not own the Z1ES anymore.

The UD-501 DAC worked straight right with the Z1ES (but again not tested with latest firmware)

I think I've not tested with the UD-503 DAC, which was better, but support for this DAC has been slowly added in linux kernel, did not work with other DIY systems, and I had to sell it. Z1ES works with a linux kernel, so highly possible it was not compatible.

the only solution is to try the UD-503 or UD-505 (or NT- version as a DAC) with the Z1ES and report if it works with the latest firmware, so.

Esoteric and TEAC are intimately tied, both at the hardware and software level.

The Esoteric N-05 DAC share some components with the UD-503. (not all,hopefully for Esoteric owners ;) )

UD-505 is an evolution of the UD-503. NT-505 adds the streaming features.

Of course, features and fine tuning is vastly different.

So we cannot make deduction/inference here.

I suspect the Z1ES firmware has regressed for casual users using casual devices, in part due to feature request from high-end audio device owners such as this Esoteric. That's another debate.

Furthermore, in the NT-505 SNPI (Supplemental information) , TEAC says it is possible to read DSD128 and PCM 24bits/192khz from USB port on the front panel. They talk about flash drive, but I guess a low power HDD or SSD could be plugged.

https://www.teac-audio.eu/downloads/3/3/5/2/9/TEAC_NT-505_product_information_EN.pdf

Astonishingly, marketers put forward the dual mono construction, while engineers forget the crosstalk measure...

And also, better have a look at firmware release notes:

All issues relating to the volume are ultra important and was a flaw in the previous 503 series.

TEAC looks as if they have worked on this subject :

https://teac.jp/downloads/products/teac/ud-505/E_UD-505_NT-505_RN_vB.txt

The NT-503 use the iOS HR Remote application, while the NT-505 use the excellent HR Streamer application (Lumin based).

By the way, very interesting to find a Lumin software on both TEAC/Esoteric devices. It's new for TEAC.

All that said, the Z1ES is still good sonically and good looking.

Now that TEAC has shown what is possible in such a little device, SONY can COPY that! :0

Sorry, improve the current Z1ES and fill the need of Sony fans + add Spotify Hi-Res exclusivity at launch! + still take care of SACD owners (ripping feature)

• 2 months later...

Hello Otto,

Yes I upgraded to 18444, to have the latest hot fix.

ADI 2 Pro looks like a real performer, however I did not try it.

Whether it will be compatible with the Z1ES, I do not know.

I like the AK4490 sound (from the UD503) as it provides subtlety in its enormous dynamic range. 

Keep in mind :

- read the ADI 2 pro manual before buy, especially to make sure the routing/cabling you expect is possible. It is a geek product that requires a bit of time to handle.

- for DSD you will have an alternative :

either DSD direct with effects disable (bass, loudness, especially also no volume control!)

or effects, but there will be a DSD to PCM conversion inside the ADI2PRO. The latter is very convenient, but is considered less transparent sonically. With this device, and appropriate system, you can make your own opinion.

The exclusive feature in the ADI 2 Pro is its A/D capability, to DSD.

The sound processing (and volume) is done in the digital domain, in PCM, like pro devices.

It includes a preamp too.

The Adi2pro has no remote, which is why I did not wanted it.

Also, the internal implementation is correct, performant, VERY reliable, but not HIGH-END. In particular, the two stereo DACs are used for 4 channels instead of the classical comparison scheme which improves the Signal/Noise by a few dB on 2 channels.

the latest Firmware of the adi2 pro 183/88 DAC23/23 introduce larger compatibility with USB sources.

The RME forum (forum.rme-audio.de) is active in case you have issues with the Z1ES.

They asked for feedback for the HAP-S1 recently, so a feedback Ith the Z1ES would have attention from then too.

Again, it is a semi-pro product, be sure you have enough time to dedicate to set up this product.