IGNORED

I tried hard to stay away (Magnepoodles)

At $6,000 (or $6,400 with the nice oak or cherry wooden side strips) the Magneplanar 3.7i speakers seemed very, very expensive to me.

Sad.

Also, the local dealer would not allow a home trial. (I feel for him and his position as a business, but I feel more for myself and my position as a consumer). I even called magneplanar and spoke to Wendell asking if they had a factory trial program like with the 1.7i (no) and suggested how they could easily implement one for each region of the country that would cost them little. No interest. The dealer did let me listen for a couple of hours to both the 3.7i and 1.7 (no i in stock there).

a. I thought back to my Vandersteen 2c's (or was it 2ce's?) that the Maggie 1.5QR's replaced in 1995 (after several hours of listening every night for a few months.

b. I thought about Persona, Revel, Zu, etc.

c. I thought about how I like rock a lot and maybe Maggies weren't the best for rock.

I thought maybe I can just upgrade my CD player and tried out an Oppo BDP-93, but it didn't seem much better or not better than my Cal Audio (with PowerBoss) on CDs and the DAC in it didn't seem better than my old Dacmagic (i avoid the USB input on advice from the importer). I did like the idea of reducing the number of boxes and remotes sitting around in the living room tho. So I sent the oppo back.

d. I went thru a few Stereopile yearly accolades on top dynamic speakers they'd heard.

e. I went back to an old Audio Cryptic review of Maggies by Peter Aczel.

f. I read thu the Absolute Clown's review of Maggies a few times.

I decided I might as well upgrade my sources, so I searched for every AAC file on the computer and am now re-ripping my CDs for the minority in AAC (even a couple of things in mp3). About 2,000 tracks left to go. I began investigating SACDs, DVD-Audio, online downloads, etc. but soon found that some were apparently just upsampled from redbook CD.

g. I kept listening to my 1.5QR's and thinking about how bigger panels would go lower in the bass, and newer technologies would improve all aspects of the sound, and how bigger panels would obscure even more of my vision out the nice picture windows.

I investigated room treatments for a few months but finally gave up (for now).

Meanwhile, I saw a used ARC LS-25 mk II pre-amp for sale with new tubes, so upgraded from my Sonic Frontiers Line One (which had pretty much died anyway).

h. I kept thinking about the terrible corner formed behind the speakers by two big picture windows, and how it is probably much worse with a panel dipole radiator.

i. I realized that, even so, the Maggie 1.5QRs still sounded pretty good.

I started looking for used 3.7i or 3.7 speakers online. I found a pair of 3.7i's after a few months at a used dealer for $4,000.

I pulled the credit card out and they are on their way. Unfortunately, they are black on black, and will not disappear into the white walls as well as if they had the beige grill cloth (socks).

At $6,000 (or $6,400 with the nice oak or cherry wooden side strips) the Magneplanar 3.7i speakers seemed very, very expensive to me.

Sad.

Also, the local dealer would not allow a home trial. (I feel for him and his position as a business, but I feel more for myself and my position as a consumer). I even called magneplanar and spoke to Wendell asking if they had a factory trial program like with the 1.7i (no) and suggested how they could easily implement one for each region of the country that would cost them little. No interest. The dealer did let me listen for a couple of hours to both the 3.7i and 1.7 (no i in stock there).

a. I thought back to my Vandersteen 2c's (or was it 2ce's?) that the Maggie 1.5QR's replaced in 1995 (after several hours of listening every night for a few months.

b. I thought about Persona, Revel, Zu, etc.

c. I thought about how I like rock a lot and maybe Maggies weren't the best for rock.

I thought maybe I can just upgrade my CD player and tried out an Oppo BDP-93, but it didn't seem much better or not better than my Cal Audio (with PowerBoss) on CDs and the DAC in it didn't seem better than my old Dacmagic (i avoid the USB input on advice from the importer). I did like the idea of reducing the number of boxes and remotes sitting around in the living room tho. So I sent the oppo back.

d. I went thru a few Stereopile yearly accolades on top dynamic speakers they'd heard.

e. I went back to an old Audio Cryptic review of Maggies by Peter Aczel.

f. I read thu the Absolute Clown's review of Maggies a few times.

I decided I might as well upgrade my sources, so I searched for every AAC file on the computer and am now re-ripping my CDs for the minority in AAC (even a couple of things in mp3). About 2,000 tracks left to go. I began investigating SACDs, DVD-Audio, online downloads, etc. but soon found that some were apparently just upsampled from redbook CD.

g. I kept listening to my 1.5QR's and thinking about how bigger panels would go lower in the bass, and newer technologies would improve all aspects of the sound, and how bigger panels would obscure even more of my vision out the nice picture windows.

I investigated room treatments for a few months but finally gave up (for now).

Meanwhile, I saw a used ARC LS-25 mk II pre-amp for sale with new tubes, so upgraded from my Sonic Frontiers Line One (which had pretty much died anyway).

h. I kept thinking about the terrible corner formed behind the speakers by two big picture windows, and how it is probably much worse with a panel dipole radiator.

i. I realized that, even so, the Maggie 1.5QRs still sounded pretty good.

I started looking for used 3.7i or 3.7 speakers online. I found a pair of 3.7i's after a few months at a used dealer for $4,000.

I pulled the credit card out and they are on their way. Unfortunately, they are black on black, and will not disappear into the white walls as well as if they had the beige grill cloth (socks).

If you are not stunned at the improvement then you'll know your room is not right for Maggie's. Those are absolutely stunning speakers that are capable of transporting a listener like few can. Congratulations.

PS. If they don't work you can always sell them and use the funds for a pair of Harbeth SHL5's which while different in presentation are equally beautiful performers. Of course with the added advantage of working well in many more environments than the Maggie's.

David