IGNORED

Sotm sps-500

Sorry folks I have been trying to post in here for some time now. I have the new sps500 in my system now. I had a very well renowned power supply and didn't like it. I love this new SPS500 power supply. Bass is much more defined. Every istrument is also more refined. I had used the stock SMS 200 power supply along with the highly rated one and the ifi ipower 12 volt. Between the first three I liked the ifi ipower 12 volt. But it is not even close between the ifi and the sps500. 

I am using this on a SMS 200 ultra.

Just figured I would let you know. It is actually a nicely built and heavy unit. And it actually has a button to turn it off if you so desire.  I actually didn't know about the button until I accidentally pressed it and shut it off. Lol

Ok, I just went to Sotm's site and you are correct. No mention of linear. But on crux's site it has right on it Linear power supply. So what to do? I bought it on the fact that it said linear power supply. It does sound way better with this supply. That is a lot of money though for a glorified ifi. 

I will however tell you that I have two ATI class D amp's with linear power supplies that auto detect and auto switch for different voltages around the world. So your statement of the more technically inclined would know is not exactly correct. If ATI can do it so can others. I just assumed that this power supply used that technology. It is a new technology. And it is incredible. It also doesn't need a wire for a trigger. It uses the incoming signal to turn it on. While this technology has been around for a while. The ATI is so fast at this you don't miss even one note, unlike all the other implementation's I have seen. 

Has anyone else had one of these in their system? If so what do you think of it? I am loving mine. And now I am wondering why?

Everything became so much clearer. But much smoother at the same time. This should not be happening from what I have been reading. The ifi is a very low noise switch mode power supply. In fact if noise were the biggest concern then this would be top dog for switchers I would think. So why then is this switched mode power supply so much better than that one? It is really very clear to hear how much more impact my music has. How much more body the instruments have. How much more decay of the instruments. How much deeper into the music you can hear. The bass is incredible. I could go on and on about what I am hearing. And it has only played about 20 hours total. I can hear so much more of the little details that make up the recording. Things play so solidly in it's space. No wondering of instruments. Cymbal crashes go on forever. The brushes on cymbals I actually thought in one recording I could hear how the drummer had not lifted the brush off the cymbal all the way. And he was moving it on the cymbal. And this was an imaginary plane of say 15-20 feet behind the singer. I can hear not only the breaths of a singer, but also whether they are licking their lips. 

All this above was at an average of 101db. I had no idea I was listening this loud because it was so non fatiguing. If felt like I could keep turning it up with no assault on my hearing. Although I knew otherwise. It sounds so good at all levels I can't imagine it sounding any better. 

So how did Sotm do it? Could it sound better with an actual linear power supply of sufficient voltage and quality? 

This power supply is pretty heavy also. I just believed it to be a linear supply. Why is it so heavy if it has a smps in it?

These are all questions I have now. 

Sorry for the long winded posts. And thanks for hearing me out.

Ron

Yes and I have compared it to a very highly regarded supply and found the sps-500 to trounce it. Let's just say it wasn't one of the above mentioned in previous post. 

I will not say which one it is because I promised the manufacturer. I promised he didn't tell me not to say anything. I will keep my word. 

So you can gather between these two posts that it is a very special power supply. I don't see how any could significantly better it. I don't even see how it could be better to be honest. 

Let's put it this way I installed a linear supply in my Oppo 203. I noticed a bit of an improvement but not as much as expected. When I took out the ifi and installed this SPS-500 I noticed such a huge improvement instantly. Even before break in. But the ifi isn't the supply I was talking about above. The other was a very well regarded supply.