IGNORED

EQ In The Digital Domain....

Curious to know how many here use digital EQ and what type/kind/brand.

I use a Behringer DEQ2496...strictly in the digital realm with an outboard DAC. This is a very affordable unit in the grand scheme of things....and I've got to say, I'd have a hard time living without it.

I've been curious about the mini dsp units but don't know much about them or how to use them simply as a parametric/graphic eq for playback.

I took the deq out of the system a couple times...briefly....and couldn't get it hooked back up fast enough. I couldn't believe how bad the sound was without it....or that I was actually content with the sound before the DEQ. LOL[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I use the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 which combines preamp, 2x170W power amp, DAC, Room Perfect digital room correction and digital crossover.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I've used lyngdorf, fantastic system. Also used mini dsp with Dirac which is great and unlike the lyngdorf, you can set your own curves.

Now I have active speakers which have eq incorporated into them. Big fan of all dsp rc I've used so far

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Am using the same speakers. Very flexible and useful. A 2dB cut at 30 Hz hinged at 100 Hz helps to tame excessive bass.

Have you tried any microphone based DRC with it?

I have a KRK Ergo. This has a Lyngdorf Room Perfect chip. It sounds much better when using the DRC.

The Room Perfect utilized is limited to 96/24. This is the main drawback to the units. The design is 8 - 9 years old.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

The DCX2496 is a good affordable solution and can do 24/96. The nice thing about something like the DCX is that you can store presets. I wish the unit was dynamically addressable for preset selection where a flagged meta data tag would dial up the preset you want on the fly as tracks queue up.

I've implemented BSS, Lake Processing, and Pro-audio amps that have DSP built in. I run a Behringer iNuke 3000DSP for my dual subs in my HT.

Please enlighten me why software in the PC itself is a better option.

Computer novice here....[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I agree with Kal's post. Also, it is often cheaper and more capable that what appears in external boxes, prepros, etc. For example, Dirac appears in some external boxes and prepros, but often is sample rate limited there to 48 or 96k. The software versions for PC or Apple handle up to 192K.

Why is the number of channels relevant? Most of this is scalable.

Because it's an active speaker management system which means we aren't using passive X-O's. I'm not disagreeing with the consolidation. It's scenario dependent.

Hopefully we aren't talking around each other as a digital processor is for all intents and purposes a sound card.

With Hi-Q net everything is addressable from a computer and it really doesn't matter too much if the DSP is on a single box or distributed.

Please enlighten me why software in the PC itself is a better option.

I am using Acourate and HQPlayer with a Merging NADAC (8 channel DAC). In the past I have used DEQX.

These are the reasons why a PC is a better option:

1. More processing power. You can have as much processing power as your bank balance will tolerate. 64 bit floating point calculation +/- hardware acceleration. In contrast, most in-a-box DSP units like the Behringer and MiniDSP use SOC's. What this means:

- MiniDSP/Behringer are limited to 48kHz PCM. Your PC can convolve at up to native DSD512 or absurdly high PCM sample rates if you want to.

- More taps mean that more complex calculations are possible - in turn you have more flexibility in creating filters.

2. Computers are upgradable. You don't have to buy a whole new box every time the manufacturer comes out with a new iteration of hardware.

3. You are not locked in to one choice of software. With MiniDSP it is possible to use REW, Dirac, or Acourate, but with most of the others you are stuck with what the manufacturer provided.

4. You can BYO DAC. It can be an inexpensive DAC or you could go crazy if your pockets were deep enough. In contrast, with MiniDSP/DEQX/etc the DAC's are built in. Some of these units have digital outs so you can BYO DAC if you wanted to, but you have already paid for a DAC which is now sitting in the box unused.

5. PC's are more flexible. In addition to playing music and convolving audio, my PC also doubles as a media player for my home theatre. And needless to say, it can do everything else a PC is expected to do. I have even used it to give powerpoint presentations at home.

6. The software on the PC is usually more powerful, and allows you to tune or change virtually anything you like. This can be a double edged sword - on one hand, you can do more. On the other, you have more opportunity to stuff up.

7. Depending on which box you choose, a PC may be cheaper. In Australia, a DEQX costs AUD$6-7,000. My entire PC setup (including: PC, monitor, microphone, 8 channel DAC/mic preamp) costs less than that, and offers better sound quality and more processing power.

Black boxes and the like are more convenient for lots of users - often everything is included, even the measuring microphone. No need for additional cables, mic amps, etc. No choices have to be made. No need for a powerful computer with the "right kind" out outputs and inputs. The software is also pre-setup.

For many of them, about all you have to do is attach the mic or box and press a button.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just pointing out that what one user sees as clearly superior is clearly inferior to another.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Because it's an active speaker management system which means we aren't using passive X-O's. I'm not disagreeing with the consolidation. It's scenario dependent.
Agreed. However, one can manage EQ and crossovers all in software (or not).

Hopefully we aren't talking around each other as a digital processor is for all intents and purposes a sound card.
I rather think of mine as a general purpose computer with multiple sound-card functions.

With Hi-Q net everything is addressable from a computer and it really doesn't matter too much if the DSP is on a single box or distributed.
Yes, commercial/studio configurations become more attractive as complexity increases because they were designed for it.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I use a miniDSP nanodigi. I find it easy enough to use with REW though the import function has never really worked for me. Entering the corrections is no big deal.

I'd really like to try a software solution and simplify my system but in my case I need a multi-channel DAC. It seems like you can either go with the $300 miniDSP u-DAC8 (which for some reason I have a hard time getting excited about) or several $3,000 options (which I really can't afford).

Nvidia ION running JRiver 21 on Win 7

- USB to Firestone Audio Bravo USB to SPDIF Converter. Optical to miniDSP NanoDigi eq/crossover. SPDIF to 2 Cambridge Audio DacMagics. Analogue to Audio Refinement Pre-5 to 2 M&K V-75 powered subwoofers & Audio Refinement Multi-2 power amp to Focal Chorus 716s.

- Intel NUC on Win 10 as JRiver 21 DLNA renderer. USB to Breeze Audio DU-U8 USB to SPDIF converter. SPDIF to Anthem MRX-520. Mirage OMD-5: left, right & surrounds. Mirage OMD-C1: center. SVS-SB-2000: subwoofer.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Pro on Volumio DLNA renderer to Rega Mira 3 to Dali Zensor 1s.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Standard on Volumio DLNA renderer to NAD 312 to PSB Alphas.