IGNORED

Hattor Passive Preamplifier

Hi,

I wanted to convert my Nagra MPA with RCMI into an "amp only" for many many years.

Doing so meant I needed to shop for a preamp. Nagra preamp is very expensive, and I only need 1 input.

Recently upgraded my DAC for La Scala Optologic with tube output stage.

Started looking for a better option...

I found this article:

https://musicfirstaudio.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/musgrave-on-line-controls.pdf

And I settled on Hattor, even if the comments in the article were rather puzzling.

Hattor is the "higher-end" version of the Khozmo passive preamps. Build by Arek with nice cases, remotes, displays, etc.

He has 2 models, a "big one" with more inputs and a "small one" with 3. Went with the small one.

They are the same units, basically.

As a big bonus, I can power it with Uptone's LPS-1 (5V) for cleaner than clean power.

So far, I am extremely pleased with my unit, both in terms of functionality and sound.

Dealing with Arek was easy.

I very much recommend this unit.

I will provide more info as I become more familiar.

Hope that helps someone.

I think Arek deserves more exposure for his work, hence my review.

Thanks

Hattor.jpg

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

No I did not.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

Takman Rey.

• 3 months later...

After almost four more months of continuous use, I continue to marvel at the SQ in my system.

This device is awesome, and for the price, really amazing. Kudos to Arek!

I use a Hattor myself with Tekman Rey resistors, I went for the larger one and can't fault it, very very transparent in my system and works really well with valve mono blocks

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO