IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+ USB

Mutec mc-3+ USB review

After doing extensive reading and checking the forums and reviews for the Mutec mc-3+ USB, I decided that my next venture to improve the sound quality of my system was to purchase one.

Received my Mutec mc-3+ USB from AudioPhil’s shop (https://www.highend-audiopc.com/shop/en/ddc/mutec-mc-3-smart-clock-usb) about 1 month ago.

The setup is very simple (the Quick Start Guide is excellent)

Followed the guide and was ready to hear what this Master Clock would do.

Was I in for a surprise, from the first minute the Mutec in the system, I knew I was in for a great ride to audio pleasure, this is the music nirvana of my many, many years of listening.

I invited a few friends over two days after the Mutec was installed for them to give me their opinion, they both said the minute they stepped through the door into my listening room, I had done something that has produced the best sound they have ever heard in my setup for the over 15 years they have been coming to my house.

Fast forward to approximately 1 month of using the Mutec mc-3+ USB.

The sound has a holographic effect, which literally places the listener into the performance, whether it is a live or studio recording.

The imaging and layering of Queen Latifah “Trav’elin Light” track “Poetry Man” was jaw dropping with the placement of the instruments and vocals.

The complex track (IMO) from Loreena McKennitt "Marrakesh Night Market" from The Mask and Mirror CD, was so well defined and detailed like I have never heard it before.

I would write more, but it is time to get back to music nirvana, and immerse myself in the hologram.

Cables used with the Mutec mc-3+ USB

Pachanko Signature AES/EBU

Pachanko Twin USB Cable

Pachanko Pure Reference SATA cables

Music Server: Streacom ST-FC5WS-Evo chassis, ASUS H87M-E, modified with PPA Studio MoBo Clock Upgrade, Intel Core I7-4770t, 16 GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D, SOtM tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0 (Final), JPlay, Fidelizer 8.x, Windows Server 2019 Core mode

Digital to Analog Converter: Mutec MC-3+ USB, B.M.C. UltraDAC

Amplifier:Sanders Magtech Monoblocks; Loudspeakers: Magneplanar 3.6R, Vandersteen 2Wq Subwoffers

Music player: Roon

• 2 weeks later...

So, you're using it with USB in, and AES out ?

Dit you Try other inputs/outputs ? You could at least use optical out from your PC board maybe (and optical cables aren't expensive at all)

I'm also interested with this new Mutec USB, I had an MC3+ in the past (with another Dac) and was also very satisfied with it.

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

So, you're using it with USB in, and AES out ?

Did you try other inputs/outputs ? You could at least use optical out from your PC board maybe (and optical cables aren't expensive at all)I'm also interested with this new Mutec USB, I had an MC3+ in the past (with another Dac) and was also very satisfied with it.

I tried the S/PDIF connection (in and out), but preferred the USB in with the Pachanko AES/EBU (which is an awesome sounding cable, all his cables are), which is my current setup. More body, staging/imaging/layering etc.

Music Server: Streacom ST-FC5WS-Evo chassis, ASUS H87M-E, modified with PPA Studio MoBo Clock Upgrade, Intel Core I7-4770t, 16 GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D, SOtM tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0 (Final), JPlay, Fidelizer 8.x, Windows Server 2019 Core mode

Digital to Analog Converter: Mutec MC-3+ USB, B.M.C. UltraDAC

Amplifier:Sanders Magtech Monoblocks; Loudspeakers: Magneplanar 3.6R, Vandersteen 2Wq Subwoffers

Music player: Roon

Thanks.

I'm waiting a Pachanko sata reference cable for my OS SSD (will replace a PPA Red). I believe it's very good also...

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

• 4 months later...

Hello folks,  I posted this in another thread within CA.    But I thought HAPC has it all my parts covered with AO and Mutec plus a stellar understanding of JRiver, so maybe this is a better place for some possible answers.

I'm after some learned advice, please.

My system - CAPS (Lagoon - WS2012 R2 Essentials OS with AudiophileOptimizer v2.20 beta 5 in Ultimate Core mode - 128g SS HD + Sotm USB exp card) - Synology NAS DS411 Slim - JRiver 18 - Elijah Quad Braid Mk4 USB Cable (Aqvox Low Noise Power Supply at each end of cable) - into JLTi Oppo 105D (Level 4 Upgrade).  Opp to Pre to Active Speakers

Today I was loaned a Mutec MC 3+ USB.

I restored my Lagoon to GUI and installed the Mutec ASIO driver without a hitch. 

Note:  I did not go into the Windows control panel and adjust anything as per the Mutec manual because I use JRiver and the Sotm USB Exp Card and was under the impression this was not necessary.   (Is this my issue?)

I Re-installed AO in Ultimate mode as per every other time I have done it.

Redid the Service Tool from GUI back to Core and re ran the AO a 2nd time.   It all worked perfectly without the Mutec in the audio chain.

Earlier in the day, I ran an Optical cable from my Plasma TV to the Mutec.  Then Optical out of the Mutec into the Oppo.  The sound was fine through the speakers at 48 khz.

I inserted the Mutec between the Lagoon and the Oppo.  USB into the Mutec and Coaxial (75 ohm) out into the Oppo.

I reset JRiver Playback option to read the Mutec Asio Driver instead of the Oppo Driver and hit play on a standard 44.1 tune.  

JRiver popped up the error message that something went wrong with playback and it could not recognise 44.1/16 in Asio.     I tried Wasapi and Kernal Streaming.  Same message popped up.   These both work with the Mutec out of the Chain.

I have tried all manner of configurations on the Mutec trying to get some sound but always the same pop up appears in JRiver.

I have read the Mutec manual 50 times and I am confident I have the correct setting for USB Input.  I get the Blue Lock light activated.

I have gone through the process of having the 3 items - Lagoon, Mutec and Oppo started and/or off in various configurations trying to get the Lagoon to see the Mutec, but no luck.

I know it will be a simple setting somewhere but I can't work it out.  

Any thoughts, please

Regards Cazzesman

Latest update is I now have sound via the Lagoon-Mutec-Oppo-Pre-Actives
I reset the Lagoon back to Gui Mode with no AO used and placed the Mutec back in the audio stream.

The Mutec is receiving the USB signal, reclocking and transmitting the audio via the Coaxial to the oppo from 44.1 to 96.  Oppo only goes as high as 96.
I would hazard a guess that when I run AO in Ultimate mode I have been selecting 'Yes' when disabling Drivers & Services.

I will re run AO and select No this time and see what unfolds before reverting from Gui to Core.

Any thoughts Phil?

Regards Cazzesman

Problem solved for the moment. :D

Selected 'No' re disabling Drives and services when running AO in Ultimate mode.   Reverted from GUI to Core and reran AO - again selecting No.

Mutec is now working fine.

Phil is there any work around that can be tweaked so the Mutec Driver can still be engaged and still select 'Yes' re disabling drivers and services in AO?

Regards Cazzesman

Hello

I am personally using the SOtM "in front" of the MUTEC, or in other words i don't use the MUTEC driver. So i was not aware of this issue, sorry.

I will investigate what the issue is and certainly put the fix in the next AO release, but for now not using disabling drivers and services is the best way.

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

I use the Mutec ASIO driver.  This is on a ASRock J1900 MB with PPA-V2 USB running 2016 Core Mode (RoonBridge - Roon End Point).  This uses a USB connection to the Mutec.  

FYI - I have no issues using ASIO driver for Mutec running in AO Ultimate and Disabling Drivers and Services (YES to disable).   Mutec Control Panel up and running too.

For those willing to try.... (and not using the ASIO)

du a full run with AO, say yes to disable drivers and services, and in the very end there is a question like "di you want to use USBPAL driver, DAC8, etc." say yes to this one.

Then report back if this does the trick.

best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

For those willing to try.... (and not using the ASIO)

du a full run with AO, say yes to disable drivers and services, and in the very end there is a question like "di you want to use USBPAL driver, DAC8, etc." say yes to this one.

Then report back if this does the trick.

Hi Phil.   Your trick worked.   Disabled Drivers and Services.  Selected Yes for USBPAL and getting sound through the Mutec via ASIO.    I do notice now that when selecting Wasapi in Jriver I now get the error message but Kernel still works.  Wasapi not working is not an issue as I just use ASIO.

Regards Cazzesman 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...