IGNORED

You guys are sick

I’ve spent the last 3 days reading thread after thread and I’ve come to the following conclusion: you guys are sick.

The level of detail you guys go into is mesmerizing. The knowledge is profound.

I want to be sick too!!!

I have a serious case of OCD. Music and movies are my passion. After reading many threads here and on other forums I’ve purchased the following.

KEF reference 1 speakers

KEF reference 2c center speaker

KEF reference 8b subwoofer

Marantz AV8802A AV preamp/processor

Marantz MM8077 power amp

All my music and movies are stored in my PC. My music is a mixture of FLAC and VBR mp3 (I cannot tell the difference currently after numerous ABX tests). I will do 2 channels for music and 5 channels for movies.

The guys at the HT forum told me I can just hook up my PC to the preamp with an HDMI cable and I’m set. But from what I’ve read here you guys are using complex connections and I haven’t seen once somebody mention HDMI.

What else do I need? As you can see money is no object, but I need to buy from amazon.

The HDMI cable connection doesn't need to be used for FLAC & mp3 audio file playback, assuming both the PC and the Marantz AV8802A are connected to the network. This is because the AV8802A has a built-in network audio file player and can play those audio files from the PC via UPnP/DLNA streaming and output the resultant audio signal directly to its (internally connected) DAC.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I’ve spent the last 3 days reading thread after thread
I want to be sick too!!!

Sorry to inform you - seems that you already are..

(and as for now as far as I know no health insurence covers expenses connected with this sickness)

Welcome to the club!

I have a serious case of OCD. Music and movies are my passion.

It's not something I'm not very unfamiliar with..

Welcome... errr..repeating myself, sorry..

money is no object

I'd be quite cautious with statements like that..

(http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/what-are-best-sounding-speakers-over-$600-000-youve-ever-heard-30958/)

My advice (if your sickness began quite recently) would be to place the speakers well in the room and to take care of basic room acoustics as they influence the sound a lot! You will find loads of information on these topics here.

Wishing you lots of sick fun!

....As you can see money is no object, but I need to buy from amazon.

Must be nice. For most people,it eventually does in this hobby.

You should check out Audiogon. :)

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Wireworld Silver Electra PCs..IsoAcoustics Gaia I and II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

The best advice I could give you is to purchase "Get Better Sound" by Jim Smith. Cheap at the (already cheap)price.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

It's encouraging to read that VBR mp3 works for you. Just think of the money that'll save you.

To be fair, I don't have my speakers etc and I've only compared the mp3 vs FLAC on low end equipment.

That said, it's not just any mp3. It's been ripped with EAC secure mode and encoded with LAME following hydrogen audio's standards. I'm pretty sure most of the FLAC stuff available for download is ripped on burst mode. Take amazon, for example. A buddy of mine rips for them and he does so on burst mode.

But indeed, I'm also glad that it currently works for me. I have too much music in that format. Probably more than I could ever listen to.

Thanks for your response.

So why limit your music enjoyment to stereo when you have the makings of a fine surround system? There's many, especially classical downloads available in surround.

I will need to explore this. I thought that with my system I had the option of doing surround and also 2 way.

I thought that 2 way was better for music and that's why 95% of you guys were doing it. I don't see many surround systems here.

Also, I mostly listen to Jazz (90%), Blues, classical Rock, etc. Most of what I listen to (98% of my listening) was released prior to 1980. And I guess none of that is available in surround?

I have a great classical collection and I hope one day I acquire the taste and develop that interest. For now I listen to very little classical, although I'm familiar with the classics. Pavaroti's Nessun Dorma brought me to tears first time I listened to it. Like I said, I hope one day I become a classical music aficionado.

Your setup is straight up surround sound for movies. You don't need anything else then an HDMI cable to the processor. It will handling the surround sound decoding from there.

Nice setup.

Are you saying this won't work for both music and movies? It's not idea for music?

Are the Marantz pre/pro and amp not good for music listening? Are they not good enough for my speakers?

Thanks for your response.

The HDMI cable connection doesn't need to be used for FLAC & mp3 audio file playback, assuming both the PC and the Marantz AV8802A are connected to the network. This is because the AV8802A has a built-in network audio file player and can play those audio files from the PC via UPnP/DLNA streaming and output the resultant audio signal directly to its (internally connected) DAC.

How does the Marantz DAC compare to other DAC's out there? If you had my setup, would you use Marantz's DAC?

Yes I realize it was a mistake the way I worded it. That's why I said it needs to be from amazon. There's only so much that's available there.

Didn't mean anything negatively, so no worries. Just saying be careful for what you wish for...

In my experience, it's hard to find a pre/pro that does both movies and music really well.

Always a compromise somewhere, most likely in the 2ch area.

Oh , oh. The slide into oblivion begins . . .

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

LOL. I was wondering how quickly that would happen. A bottomless pit....

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Wireworld Silver Electra PCs..IsoAcoustics Gaia I and II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

I will need to explore this. I thought that with my system I had the option of doing surround and also 2 way.

I thought that 2 way was better for music and that's why 95% of you guys were doing it. I don't see many surround systems here.

You do have the option of plating either 2.0, 2.1, 5.0, 5.1, plus reformatting whatever number of channels supported with a movie you select. Surround audio files, if available in the genres you prefer, contain two and a half times the data of stereo, far better representing the music, especially acoustic music recorded.

You're in the perfect position with your setup to demonstrate this yourself. Just select a movie with multichannel music contained, listen as it's presented, then shut off all but the Left and Right channels. The image collapse will be very evident.

I have finally moved on from mass-produced consumer AV gear.

I now use a Hasbird media transport connected via fiber optic to a custom Xeti NAS with a Grid HD array, played through a Jevkos DAC to a Lomford pre-amp out to a pair of Tromburn power amps connected to a pair of Erosymbonic speakers.

It sounds pretty great, and didn't cost nearly as much as one might expect, all things considered.