IGNORED

Help with software choices

I'm a long-term audiophile, just now making the transition to computer audio. I have my hardware purchased, but won't be able to set it up for a few weeks due to an ongoing home reno.

For storage and distribution, I have a QNAP 451+ (8GB, 16TB, RAID) and TP-Link extender.

Downstairs in my main system I will use a microRendu with Welborne Labs PS-1. I have an AudioLab 8200 CDP that does 96/24. I wil add a KORG DS-DAC-10 for vinyl ripping and DSD replay. I may or may not keep the AudioLab, depending how it sounds vs. the KORG. For the upstairs system, I bought ChromeCast Audio. Control is via Windows 10 laptop, Android tablet and Android phone.

I'd like to solidify my software choices so I can transition from research to learning. QNAP offers MinimStreamer and Music Station. Not sure how Music Station compares with other apps. I am mostly interested in ease of use and effortless networking of these various devices. I am not interested in software that costs hundreds, nor in softwares that lock you into a proprietary ecosystem. PureVinyl seems an obvious choice for vinyl labelling, etc. Audacity or dbpoweramp for CD rips?

I would like to hear any critique of my plans and advice on what software I should choose.

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity for reflection.” 
Bertrand Russell 

I'm a long-term audiophile, just now making the transition to computer audio. I have my hardware purchased, but won't be able to set it up for a few weeks due to an ongoing home reno.

For storage and distribution, I have a QNAP 451+ (8GB, 16TB, RAID) and TP-Link extender.

Downstairs in my main system I will use a microRendu with Welborne Labs PS-1. I have an AudioLab 8200 CDP that does 96/24. I wil add a KORG DS-DAC-10 for vinyl ripping and DSD replay. I may or may not keep the AudioLab, depending how it sounds vs. the KORG. For the upstairs system, I bought ChromeCast Audio. Control is via Windows 10 laptop, Android tablet and Android phone.

I'd like to solidify my software choices so I can transition from research to learning. QNAP offers MinimStreamer and Music Station. Not sure how Music Station compares with other apps. I am mostly interested in ease of use and effortless networking of these various devices. I am not interested in software that costs hundreds, nor in softwares that lock you into a proprietary ecosystem. PureVinyl seems an obvious choice for vinyl labelling, etc. Audacity or dbpoweramp for CD rips?

I would like to hear any critique of my plans and advice on what software I should choose.

I have a QNAP as well. I used the QNQP music app for a while but found it klugy and slow at times

Loaded Minimserver w/ BubbleUPNP the other day. While I can't really hear a difference in the quality of.music I find Minimserver/bubble combo much more user friendly and significantly faster + it will provide for gap less playback.

Loaded Minimserver w/ BubbleUPNP the other day. While I can't really hear a difference in the quality of.music I find Minimserver/bubble combo much more user friendly and significantly faster + it will provide for gap less playback.
Assuming you are referring to the BubbleUPnP Server helper application, it does not actually provide gapless playback where there was none before. The "Gapless playback" checkbox in BubbleUPnP Server's OpenHome renderer creation config is there to switch on gapless for the created OpenHome renderer, only if the underlying standard UPnP/DLNA renderer you are creating it for supports gapless playback in the first place. The checkbox will be greyed out and therefore not selectable (with its default unchecked non-gapless setting), if the standard UPnP/DLNA renderer is detected as not supporting gapless playback.

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I'd like to solidify my software choices so I can transition from research to learning. QNAP offers MinimStreamer and Music Station. Not sure how Music Station compares with other apps.

MinimServer (can include its optional MinimStreamer transcoder component) is a no brainer as the choice of UPnP/DLNA media server. given its excellent support, ease of use and its no nonsense efficient transparent design.

Also, installing the before mentioned BubbleUPnP Server on the QNAP, to allow your Chromecast Audio devices to stream from any UPnP/DLNA media server using any standard UPnP/DLNA controller or OpenHome controller.

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks for the replies tja1 and Cebolla. I had not considered BubbleUPnP Server at all, but from your comments and some further investigation, it looks to be ideal for my system. Do I still need to install BubbleUPnP for my control points, or am I covered with BubbleUPnP Server?

I've decided on Exact Audio Copy for CD ripping and KORG AudioGate for vinyl. So my hardware will all be here soon, my software decisions are clearer. I have to get busy with the home reno so I can set everything up. Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it.

I wil add a KORG DS-DAC-10 for vinyl ripping and DSD replay.

Meant to say DS-DAC-10R.

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity for reflection.” 
Bertrand Russell 

Thanks for the replies tja1 and Cebolla. I had not considered BubbleUPnP Server at all, but from your comments and some further investigation, it looks to be ideal for my system. Do I still need to install BubbleUPnP for my control points, or am I covered with BubbleUPnP Server?
The BubbleUPnP Android app is an excellent UPnP/DLNA, OpenHome and Chromecast controller and can actually be used without the BubbleUPnP Server helper software. This would include using it to control the Chromecast Audios.

However, using the BubbleUPnP Server with the BubbleUPnP Android app does give you some benefits, such as being able to operate the Chromecast Audios & the microRendu as if they were OpenHome renderers. Also, being Android only, the BubbleUPnP contoller app is not available for Windows, so you are going to need the BubbleUPnP Server to allow you to use any Windows run UPnP/DLNA or OpenHome controller for the CCAs (eg the Linn Kazoo OpenHome control point).

Incidentally, are you aware that the Chromecast Audio devices don't support gapless playback when used to stream audio files one after the other?

-- Boris Johnson

-- Jo Cox

BubbleUPnP contoller app is not available for Windows, so you are going to need the BubbleUPnP Server to allow you to use any Windows run UPnP/DLNA or OpenHome controller for the CCAs (eg the Linn Kazoo OpenHome control point).

I'm still confused about software. Thus far, I have selected Exact Audio Copy, AudioGate, MinimServer, BubblePnP Server, BubblePnP, and I need one more, correct? Which do you recommend for my system?

Incidentally, are you aware that the Chromecast Audio devices don't support gapless playback when used to stream audio files one after the other?

I did not know that, which is not surprising since I know almost nothing about computer audio or streaming. I won't be doing any serious listening through ChromeCast Audio. Having never experienced gaps in playback, I'm not sure how irritating it may be in a system intended solely for background music.

I experienced some buyer's remorse yesterday and cancelled the microRendu, which was scheduled to ship tomorrow. The sMS-200 is $230 less here, and comes with a cheap power supply vs. none for the mR. Both seem to be extreme value products. I couldn't find justification for the mR's higher price, they seem to be direct competitors. Simple Design were very gracious about refunding the money. I imagine flavour of the week is pretty common in computer audio. :-)

Bertrand Russell 

I'm still confused about software. Thus far, I have selected Exact Audio Copy, AudioGate, MinimServer, BubblePnP Server, BubblePnP, and I need one more, correct? Which do you recommend for my system?

Cebolla is an expert on this stuff, but here's the net, net:

* install minimserver and minimstreamer on the qnap to serve as your server.

* install bubbleupnp server on the qnap to provide open home compatibility

* your sms-200 will be your renderer. After installing it, go into bubbleupnp server and set up the sms-200 as a open home renderer.

* depending on whether you are an ios or Android person, you have choices to control your music. On ios, you can use Lumin or Linn kazoo. On Android you have those two plus the bubbleupnp app. These apps tell the server what to send to the renderer.

Note that you'll likely want to install minimwatch on a pc. This tool is how you configure minimserver.

You'll be super happy with this setup. Cebolla helped me with this and it's pretty sweet.

sources:  intel nuc8i7 (audiolinux, roon core) (server) | simaudio moon mind 2 (renderer)
headphone rig:  chord qutest > bryston bha-1 > audeze lcd-3
main rig:  chord dave > parasound jc5 > kef reference 1