IGNORED

Anyone going to do a new build with AMD Ryzen CPU?

There has been a lot of talk about the price/performance of the new AMD Ryzen CPU. At least for me, the Ryzen seems ideal as I use HQP in a fanless case. I am thinking the 1700 would allow me to convert to DSD512 while only have a TDP of 65W. And of course the price is hard to beat! I've never had any computer with an AMD chip so I dont really know anything about them in terms of performance, reliability, hardware support, etc.

Curious what others think about the new Ryzen.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I've never had any computer with an AMD chip so I dont really know anything about them in terms of performance, reliability, hardware support, etc.

I have a couple of them and they've been no problem. Agree, the Ryzen looks very promising at half the price of Intel!

I used to own an AMD Athlon way back when in 2003 or so. Good CPU.

What I have seen from Ryzen is that it consumes less energy than the comparable Intel alternative. So, that makes it a good candidate for fanless devices and therefore audio PCs. It also seems that the new AM4 socket allows for more direct connections of devices to the CPU instead of going through a separate chipset (northbridge vs southbridge). I need to read up on that some more though. More direct pathways probably will result in a quieter PC compared to a similar Intel.

The main take on all this is that we finally have choice again between comparable CPUs.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948