IGNORED

Spotify Lossless?

Integrate it with Roon, and I'll kick Tidal to the curb!

I'm sure many would agree with this sentiment. There has been much talk re Spotify on the Roon forum, and in summary it would appear Spotify are not interested in talking to Roon. So it does not look like this might happen any time soon. A shame, but that's how it looks.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I'm sure many would agree with this sentiment. There has been much talk re Spotify on the Roon forum, and in summary it would appear Spotify are not interested in talking to Roon. So it does not look like this might happen any time soon. A shame, but that's how it looks.

Spotify might come around if they believed Roon integration would drive demand for lossless subscriptions.

Spotify...Lossless? Sign me up. It's about time Spotify. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Spotify has such a huge catalog (along with iTunes) that a lossless service from them would be a must-buy for me.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

A few days ago I posted the fact that Spotify had 40 million users as a reason why they would not be interested in a tie up with the relatively tiny Roon. This morning I see Spotify announcing that they have 50 million users. It does look like they have momentum. To put this into perspective, I was chatting to a bunch of guys at work this week, all in their early 30's. I asked them if they had heard of Roon. None of them had. When I explained about Roon, they seam puzzled why they would need such a thing. The point is though, about two thirds of them stated simply that they used Spotify. When I was chatting about ripping CD's, lostless streaming, one guy simply stated that there is no point ripping his CD's, everything he has on CD is on Spotify anyway, so why bother. It's always good to talk to normal folk (non-audiophiles) occasionally to keep a sense of perspective. Although I do agree with earlier posters, Spotify's catalogue available 'lostless' would be a compelling offering.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

So far Spotify has been very tight to keep their own client as only front-end to the service.

Remind me of a certain other SW [emoji3]

(Well that was probably not fair at all. I'm under the impression those things has changed with the embedded version)

Does Spotify still have a lot of content with audible watermarking?

I was not aware of this. Can you explain?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

So far Spotify has been very tight to keep their own client as only front-end to the service. This is one of the major differences to Tidal and possibly one of the reasons why Tidal has succeeded as well as it has.
There's Sonos...

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Spotify can maintain their user interface control easier when access is via closed systems like Sonos.

Access over Sonos is quite barebones, there's really nothing remaining from the Spotify interface in it (I use it). I don't think it has anything to do with hardware per-se other that those implementations are simple and require very little maintenance. I think the line gets blurred with software implementations that can get enriched and change dramatically very quickly and make Spotify's "edge" in interface more diluted.

system pics

Access over Sonos is quite barebones, there's really nothing remaining from the Spotify interface in it (I use it). I don't think it has anything to do with hardware per-se other that those implementations are simple and require very little maintenance. I think the line gets blurred with software implementations that can get enriched and change dramatically very quickly and make Spotify's "edge" in interface more diluted.

But now that Spotify Connect can be used with Sonos it makes it a more compelling option. Also,now that Roon can be used with Sonos it makes it a better product also.

David

But now that Spotify Connect can be used with Sonos it makes it a more compelling option. Also,now that Roon can be used with Sonos it makes it a better product also.

Ah, very true. I suppose the only reason would be their control of the experience. Additionally I have always wondered about their tracking of users habits, playlists, etc. For example, if they allowed a Roon interface they wouldn't get data such as songs started but skipped, browsing habits without playing, etc etc. I would bet this is all data they collect.

system pics