IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

It’s like 4am in France now...

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Hopefully the developer of A+ will learn from this and issue an update quickly to fix the licensing check.

...I'm giving A+ until tomorrow morning to start working, then I'll request my money back from my credit card company and will find another audio player.

1 minute ago, RobertinMn said:

After reading these, I cut my network access, booted AV, told it not to check for updates, killed the app, rebooted and connected to net. Started AV and it works.

So--don't check for updates. I don't know if this will help you or not. I also blocked the app from any communication going forward before reboot.

Great find! Thank you!

I disconnected my Mac from my network, started A+ and it worked. I then reconnected to the network.

7 minutes ago, RobertinMn said:

After reading these, I cut my network access, booted AV, told it not to check for updates, killed the app, rebooted and connected to net. Started AV and it works.

So--don't check for updates. I don't know if this will help you or not. I also blocked the app from any communication going forward before reboot.

Brilliant!  Works for me.  Thank you very much

8 minutes ago, RobertinMn said:

You are a savvy dude.  This worked for me!  After you launch A+ you can get back on the net.  Then go to prefs, log out of tidal, and log back in.  Solved.

24 minutes ago, RobertinMn said:

I had the same problem but after following RobertinMn instructions was able to open Audirvana. Thanks Good Looking Out !!!  and Thanks to all who provided the background information on why this happened in the first place.

Thanks 

Bob

There has been a hardware failure on 2 database servers at OVH, my cloud provider hosting Audirvana.com and its license server.

Unfortunately, it appeared they have put the service on "stand-by" until all the data has been properly re-replicated to ensure there is no data loss.

This should not be long now for having the service back online as one hour ago, the status of ticket was "Data replication Progress: 100%
All data are secured and the Ceph cluster is stable again.
We are gradually putting the service back online."

And this stand-by was not a server not responding, that would have been detected by Audirvana Plus as such, and you would have been able to use it during the grace period that is of 60 days.

Unfortunately the server still replies but with an unexpected reply, tricking the license check into an invalid license.

FYI, this affects only the users whose Audirvana Plus has not checked its license in the last 48 hours, as the check is done only once every 48 hours.

And this happens during the night here in France...

So fortunately in the meantime you have found the workaround: disconnect from the Internet when launching Audirvana Plus.

Upon waking up, I've updated the license check program on the app server so that it sends the right "connection failed" error to Audirvana Plus.

So it is the same as if the server was unreachable. And you should now be able to start Audirvana Plus, even without needing to do any workaround, as you are in the 60 days (no connection) grace period.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

You can be sure I'll be looking closely at the post-mortem analysis report from OVH...

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

OVH has now fixed their servers.

In addition to using the already activated computers, activating new ones, requesting trial licenses is now working again!

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Hi

Running Audirvana latest version (3.2.8) under Mojave Public Beta, the search menu comes up with what looks like a dark grey overlay over the text which makes it very difficult to read.  I don't remember it being like this before so I don't know if it's an Audirvana bug, an Apple bug or some interaction with the new dark mode (which I'm not using).

• 2 weeks later...

Filters don’t do any of these things. They are basically eq. Same with upsampling. Just choose what sounds best to you. If you choose upsampling stick to integer 2x, 4x upsampling. No point in going beyond 4x because most dac clocks are noisy at those rates. Don’t do pcm to dsd either unless you have really bright and top tilted audio system but again just eq. Best bet is to buy very clean dac that measures well ( like Rme or Benchmark) than use mR or uR as network endpoint to audirvana between source (pc) and dac. That way you can tuck pc away from pure audio rig. If you cann’t afford mR  or/and associated decrapifiers better use optical ( toslink) out of mac with great aq vodka cable (cca 100eur). Yea ,you heard right ( toslink). Might be a shocking experience what toslink can do. It aint pro audio standard for a joke.

1 hour ago, anvil vapre said:

Sox or Izotope?

iZotope!

Is it worth setting upsampling?

depends on your DAC. With most DACs upsampling in software is beneficial.

What are the best settins...

iZotope's own preset is a very good starting point:

steepness: 31
filterlength: 512.000
cutoff: 0.96
anti aliasing: 200
pre-ringing: 1

Forced Upsampling: Power of 2 oversamling only (2x, 4x...)

the above setting is "linear phase" and provides better space.

setting pre-ringing to 0 instead of 1 will be "minimum phase" ... which will provide better transients.

linear vs. minimum phase is basically a matter of taste ...

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

I have just stumbled upon this licence checking fiasco. 

My internet is down at the main cabinet in the street. Unlikely to be fixed for “days”. 

I cant listen to my music via Audirvana - I had been streaming various bits and pieces for the last month or so to catch up with new stuff. 

This whole licence check thing is a mess. 

People who are pirating this product would never have paid for it in the first place. There is no lost revenue caused by pirating. There may be lost opportunity but that is very different and not quantifiable. 

Ironically the developer will lose revenue as people cancel licences and don’t upgrade to future versions. 

I think our our developer and many other “indies” has this backwards in his head. 

Can I get a refund on my licence for all the days I can’t use he software until my internet connection is fixed......

2 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

iZotope!

depends on your DAC. With most DACs upsampling in software is beneficial.

iZotope's own preset is a very good starting point:

steepness: 31
filterlength: 512.000
cutoff: 0.96
anti aliasing: 200
pre-ringing: 1

Forced Upsampling: Power of 2 oversamling only (2x, 4x...)

the above setting is "linear phase" and provides better space.

setting pre-ringing to 0 instead of 1 will be "minimum phase" ... which will provide better transients.

linear vs. minimum phase is basically a matter of taste ...

Ok I'll try. I'm on a Dragonfly Red, you think upsampling in beneficial also with this DAC? (And HE-400i cans)

There's a way to restore default settings?

38 minutes ago, anvil vapre said:

I'm on a Dragonfly Red, you think upsampling in beneficial also with this DAC? (And HE-400i cans)

Thing is: almost all DACs do upsample internally. So even if you don't upsample in your audioplayer the actual music will be upsampled later in the playback chain (namely in the DAC).

Budget and mid range DACs are (generally speaking) not particularly optimized for high quality upsampling.

I don't know the Dragonfly Red but would think iZotope SRC in A+ should perform much better than the "built-in" oversampling of the DAC. However, since I don't know this DAC I don't know for sure.

There's a way to restore default settings?

Easiest way, IMHO, is to simply restore manually these values: default

... or simply select "forced Upsampling: None" to deactivate software upsampling.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX