IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

I'm finding the 3.0 imposes performance requirements on my MacBook that are more like those of HQPlayer when I use Izotope to upsample to DSD128 or DSD256. That isn't surprising; what is surprising is that version 3.0 seems to require more processing power to do the same level of upsampling than version 1 or 2 did. Is anyone else noticing that?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Thanks for the report.

You can find get the fixed version here

Thank you! Confirmed now working on all three (i.e., DSD64, DSD128, DSD256) with release 3.0.0.1.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

@damien78 - I have a question about the MQA options.

When no MQA device is detected, A+ v3 give me the option to select (see screenshot). I'm guessing these options tell A+ how to handle MQA files for output.

1. Not MQA Device

2. MQA Renderer Device

3. MQA Decoder Device

I'm guessing if I select option 1, A+ handles software decoding of the core and option 3 just send MQA out bit perfect to the hardware decoder. But, what happens if I select option 2? Doesn't that also handle software decoding of the core just like option 1?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33872[/ATTACH]

I too am curious of what the difference is between the selections. If my DAC is not MQA capable, do I use only #1? Thanks.

1. Not MQA Device

2. MQA Renderer Device

3. MQA Decoder Device

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

Really enjoying this new version. MQA integration is working very well - so nice to have another player that supports it! - and sound quality is superb, even without any upsampling, etc.

Just for grins, I compared playback of the same album via Audirvana 3.x (direct connect to DAC via USB) vs. Roon (through mRendu powered by LPS-1) and there is absolutely no contest - Audirvana is *so much* better, I thought something was broken in Roon :/ Will be interesting to see if Audirvana can keep the same quality sound when / if it supports streaming through the mRendu ;)

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I think I know this, but just so I'm not missing anything...

Audirvana+ is a music player on the Mac only, right? And - it has no music server mode to enable endpoints like the mR or the sMS-200, right?

Streaming to µRendu and others is coming with next release 3.1 :)

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

... which "others"? :)

:P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Thank you so much for listening to your users and implementing this :) Always available for beta testing *hint, hint* ;)

If I buy a MQA file for 17€ and it gives me a 24bit/352kHz resolution, thats the same as a flac purchase of that same 24/352khz resolution? If i use a MQA Dac?

I ask, because storage requirement is less than the flac file.

Thank you

Hello,

NO, it is a little like comparing a track in alac (lossless) and a aac (lossy) “mastered for iTunes”.

Hello,

NO, it is a little like comparing a track in alac (lossless) and a aac (lossy) “mastered for iTunes”.

It's really somewhere in-between.

All audible frequencies are effectively lossless; i.e., they're not taking out whole chunks of music they think you can't hear to get to a compressed state like MP3 or AAC. Once you get into the supersonic realm (i.e., above audibility even to a child), only the relevant content is encoded (i.e., they don't waste space recording endless 000s and noise), but only relevant content.

Whether it's the best idea or not I don't know, but it's nowhere near as lossy as either MP3 or AAC, which both discard data in the audible range and ignore the supersonic range altogether.

My copy is reporting 3.0.0.0 is the latest version?

See post #147

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

That's encouraging. I know you can't give time frames, but can you say what protocol this will be? Given that mR (and "others" like it) support DLNA/MPD, Roon Ready, and NAA, I'm assuming it's one of these protocols? Or is it something different?

Thanks.

OneHandWaving - thanks for the tip.

As I corrected in my post, my issue was that Qobuz isn't available here in Finland....

Tidal however, seems to work fine.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

First impressions is that this sounds lovely, and MQA on Tidal is pretty close to local files in comparisons. However, +1 on searching in the masters which is a pain and today I've been having some strange issues with the remote app which is struggling to connect properly. Worth the upgrade just for the sound though

Really struggling with the remote at the moment. It connects and I can change tracks in a playlist but it never quite manages to load in the album art and everything is behind where it should be. Can't select an artist because it never loads up the list. I've shut down the remote app and Audirvana and it persists. I hope there is a solution because I run my system headless and rely on the remote

damien78: all that plays ie sound is MQA albums it is pristine but songs play and no sound from non MQA TIDAL albums/playlists or from Qobuz why? Please see my post#110 plus I have emailed support and went to A+ blog page-no response

bobbmd

Really struggling with the remote at the moment. It connects and I can change tracks in a playlist but it never quite manages to load in the album art and everything is behind where it should be. Can't select an artist because it never loads up the list. I've shut down the remote app and Audirvana and it persists. I hope there is a solution because I run my system headless and rely on the remote

Problem solved, at least for now, strange network issue

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

As an Audirvana user since v1.4.9.7, I want to give a big merci beaucoup shout-out to Damien for this latest update. This one delivers the biggest change in SQ from the previous versions. I've always thought the supposed improvements with each new iteration were subtle at best, but this time, it was immediately apparent. Best bang for the buck upgrade since I got into computer audio.

Hope all you guys with network, streaming, and library management issues get them sorted out.

This one delivers the biggest change in SQ from the previous versions.

Are you saying this about non-MQA files? I just want to understand if you're excited about software decoded TIDAL MQA material, or non-MQA local/streaming input.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Quick bug note: it appears Spotlight does not restart properly after stopping playback or exiting Audirvana.

This was working well in all the 2.x releases (as I recall), but is broken for me in 3.x.