IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

18 hours ago, damien78 said:

The license validation must be done once every 2 weeks. So you need to connect your Mac to the Internet every two weeks.

This is the reason why I won't even consider upgrading from v. 2. A one time activation process is the most I'll ever accept as DRM. This new scheme will probably only bring you bad will and lost sales. Hope you reconsider.

I do understand anti-piracy measures and requiring an internet connection on first install is fine

but treating each and every customer as a (potential) thief o.O is unacceptable! 

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

3 hours ago, mevdinc said:

I also think there should be a better way to check for license validation.
I'm sure Damien will come up with a more practical and reasonable solution.

Agreed. Another solution would be appreciated in my implementation.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

I also will not upgrade to v3. I appreciate Damian's work over the years to deliver high SQ to the MacOS platform. However, the increase in complexity of the product, the continuing weakness of database handling (and bugs), as well as the inclusion of a sonically-compromised and proprietary protocol (MQA) are deal-breakers for me. The adoption of the new verification system is not appropriate for me as I often am offline.

I will continue to enjoy Audirvana 2.6 and would request that Damian continue to support this version.

Poor Damien, he must be beginning to wish he had never heard of MQA, let alone implemented it.

Yes, this version at the moment holds no interest for me at all, and will not until 1) major bugs are fixed, 2) license is immune from absnce of ability to regularly check home, and 3) the library is fixed to include browsing and sorting by folders. And given the MQA ongoing seemingly continuous problems I would personally refer 2.6 to be retained with library improved as a matter of urgency, then maybe re-release 3 as a v4, much like Microsoft rapidly had to replace the awful Win8.

Mac Mini - late 2012: core i5/2.5GHz/16GB/2x1TB SSDs/El Capitan, headless - Audirvana optimised, dedicated USB bus - USB Regen - Chord Dave DAC - tri-amped with Bryston amps - PMC/ATC speaker combo. (Detail in my profile.)

4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Poor Damien, he must be beginning to wish he had never heard of MQA, let alone implemented it.

Yes, this version at the moment holds no interest for me at all, and will not until 1) major bugs are fixed, 2) license is immune from absnce of ability to regularly check home, and 3) the library is fixed to include browsing and sorting by folders. And given the MQA ongoing seemingly continuous problems I would personally refer 2.6 to be retained with library improved as a matter of urgency, then maybe re-release 3 as a v4, much like Microsoft rapidly had to replace the awful Win8.

Hm - works perfectly for me.  And exactly which "MQA ongoing seemingly continuous problems" are affecting you?

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

7 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Hm - works perfectly for me.  And exactly which "MQA ongoing seemingly continuous problems" are affecting you?

Sorry, that was typed in transit and the MQA in that phrase was spurious from an edit: Delete the 'MQA' when reading that. 

Mac Mini - late 2012: core i5/2.5GHz/16GB/2x1TB SSDs/El Capitan, headless - Audirvana optimised, dedicated USB bus - USB Regen - Chord Dave DAC - tri-amped with Bryston amps - PMC/ATC speaker combo. (Detail in my profile.)

Oh, now what about those of us running a headless Mac inside a home network dedicated to music playback from the NAS and USB/Firewire connected storage only ?

I do N O T like this kind of behaviour that an application starts talking to Mum or Dad without asking me !

I have paid my license fee for all three major release versions.
If my system is running fine I even do not follow up on every update.

Damien, this is really disappointing !

Also, this may be the first version of A+ that has actually done anything when the SYStem OPTimizer was set to on...  How do I know?  Well, when Spotlight is turned off, and then back on again, it forces it to re-index your drive/drives again...

Every single time I turn A+ off after updating to 3.0.5 Spotlight goes nuts and so do my fans.

No electron left behind.

+1!

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

Obviously sailing against the tide here, but I was just about to remark on spending a lovely late afternoon/early evening with nothing else to do (extremely rare for me lately) listening to Fleetwood Mac's "Bare Trees" and Steely Dan's "Countdown to Ecstasy" and "Pretzel Logic," thinking how wonderful the music sounded.

The "phone home" license checking doesn't adversely affect me, but I empathize with those for whom it does and hope a workable solution is found.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 4/11/2017 at 1:34 PM, damien78 said:

The license validation must be done once every 2 weeks. So you need to connect your Mac to the Internet every two weeks.

Hi @damien78: Is there usage data transmitted or just a license verification? What happens if A+ wants to check at a moment when I don't have a connection, like on a plane, or on vacation and without a reliable connection?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

14 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Hi @damien78: Is there usage data transmitted or just a license verification? What happens if A+ wants to check at a moment when I don't have a connection, like on a plane, or on vacation and without a reliable connection?

@damien78: You see, my problem is that I mostly use A+ on my laptop when I leave the house. This means often I have not used A+ until I am on the road and more often than not this means internet connections are spotty.

So in all likelihood I will bump into this on a plane or somewhere where I don't have an internet connection.

I think I'm "upgrading" back to 2.6.5! 

PS: Where's the LAME emoticon when you need it?!

PS2: I subscribe to Adobe's Lightroom, Photoshop, and Acrobat DC. Never had an issue.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

For the license thing, if Adobe and Microsoft can't do anything about piracy, i doubt that Damien could...

If this licensing was for that reason alone, i would go back.

After all the troubles 3.0.2 introduced with SysOpt,

3.0.5 is back to normal now and all is fine for me.  :-)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13