IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

13 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

I think checking something while A+ is playing like unable Direct Mode in sierra while you didn't change the extension is not working even if enable... the next time you restart is not working... better always i think, restarting A+ when changing something in prefs panel just to be sure  :-)

No problems at all now, maybe just a one-time conflict.

BTW, more listening has led to some additional filter tweaks (see below). Sounds amazing!

IMG_0134.PNG

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

15 minutes ago, watercourse said:

BTW, more listening has led to some additional filter tweaks (see below). Sounds amazing!

IMG_0134.PNG

Trying it... all settings sound pretty good with my DAC ?? :) i'm upsampling to DSD128.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

10 minutes ago, Yucca06 said:

link dead... u means this ?

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

12 minutes ago, Yucca06 said:

YMMV. A lot of the recommended settings I've seen, especially steepness being set too low, tends to lead to a high freq roll-off and loss of air. However, I do agree that starting off with someone else's settings is a good starting point for refining in your own system.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

11 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Trying it... all settings sound pretty good with my DAC ?? :) i'm upsampling to DSD128.

With the above settings, I'm finally getting the creamy but detailed top end that my Bel Canto PL1 delivers to my DAC3 via AES/EBU, while retaining the bass fulsomeness and punch.

These settings do work as well for DOP, but again, my sense is that DSD tends to have rolled off highs in the first place, kind of like using a step up transformer with your low output moving coil instead of using an active gain stage.

@RunHomeSlowI may get a DSD DAC at some point, and have to start this all over again ;-)

10 minutes ago, watercourse said:

These settings do work as well for DOP, but again, my sense is that DSD tends to have rolled off highs in the first place, kind of like using a step up transformer with your low output moving coil instead of using an active gain stage.

You lose me there  :-)

i had so many troubles upsampling like you PCM x 2 i could never have no hiccups are music stopped while playing when going to 352/384 but all was fine till 176/192. Was happy not having problems like that when A+ offer that Upsampling DSD128. i was playing with JRiver that could do that also at the time with no problems, but with JRiver also had problems in PCM 352/384, Arf!. i'll try again with 3.0.3 if the problems are gone  :-)

3 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

You lose me there  :-)

i had so many troubles upsampling like you PCM x 2 i could never have no hiccups are music stopped while playing when going to 352/384 but all was fine till 176/192. Was happy not having problems like that when A+ offer that Upsampling DSD128. i was playing with JRiver that could do that also at the time with no problems, but with JRiver also had problems in PCM 352/384, Arf!. i'll try again with 3.0.3 if the problems are gone  :-)

Wow, I guess I am lucky I've had pretty smooth sailing with upsampling, just tweaking to the preferred sound.

I made the analogy with LOMC and phono stages with DSD sonics because I do think DSD tends to sound warmer and possibly more analog, but IME more like tape than vinyl.

Cue the sound of a can of worms opening...

19 hours ago, watercourse said:

IMG_0134.PNG

Always great to find better setttings ?

I've beeen using similar settings for the past year or so (now going up to B3, DSD128) 

Steepness....

125, max, 0,97, 200, 70

as others note, it can be nice to start with other people's settings, but really felt the magic happened for me once I really experimented for myself... I imagine that the same for us all.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Damien,

Thank you for a very capable Player you have provided to us CAF.

I have a proposal that I think would be helpfull for some A+ users.

I own a dCS Debussy DAC V2.2.

I have experimented with the DSD64 conversion of all files up to 88.2KHz SR, with pleasant (audible) results.

I believe that for users like myself, with DACs DoP capable but limited up to DSD64, it would be of greater convenience if we could select into the custom settings of the A+ options, the selection of  DSD64 or DSD128 ... upsampling for specific sampling rates.

In my case, I would like to be able to use a custom conversion table like the one following:

44,1 -> DSD64

48 (?) -> DSD64

88,2 -> DSD64

96 -> 192

176,4 -> 176,4

192 -> 192

Regards,

I have a problem with A+ and one set of Artists albums.  Melody Gardot absolutely refuses to sit with the rest of the Artists whose names start with M, and instead insists on sitting with the G's.  Yes the tags are correct.  I removed the files from iTunes, used Yate to make sure, and re-added them to the library.  Then, I deleted the A+ library and resynced.  Nope, she is still with the G's.

Any ideas?  She sits in her proper spot in iTunes.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have a problem with A+ and one set of Artists albums.  Melody Gardot absolutely refuses to sit with the rest of the Artists whose names start with M, and instead insists on sitting with the G's.  Yes the tags are correct.  I removed the files from iTunes, used Yate to make sure, and re-added them to the library.  Then, I deleted the A+ library and resynced.  Nope, she is still with the G's.

Any ideas?  She sits in her proper spot in iTunes.

Have you tried to change the settings in the View Menu Bar of Audirvana... Show Artists List

find her on the left and change it on the right to reverse names, enter, save

1 hour ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Have you tried to change the settings in the View Menu Bar of Audirvana... Show Artists List

find her on the left and change it on the right to reverse names, enter, save

edit:  I did not even know that existed, that seems to have fixed it.  Thanks.

No electron left behind.

4 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

edit:  I did not even know that existed, that seems to have fixed it.  Thanks.

you were fast enough to change your reply, different from my email  :-)

glad it helps  :-)

Working late and listening to some Jethro Tull (Steven Wilson Mix & Mastered) from Tidal MQA. So far, sounds really really good. I'm in a new home office with new speakers so this is far from a real evaluation, just a first impression.

For another great example of how good A+/Tidal MQA can sound, try Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors".

All of the above with a non-MQA DAC, so can't wait to audition new hardware designed to fully exploit this new encoding system.

Sorry, if raising a question that might have appeared earlier on: when selecting a track in Audirvana 3.0.3, my Mac Book Pro automatically switches to internal speakers as output, even though in Midi setup as well as in the preferences menu, the corresponding DAC (Aqua La Voce) is selected. So Farbe, I have not found a solution to the problem, so Andy Input is welcome. I am running El Capitan as the operating system.

Also in Audirvana, with my 1.5 metre long Audioquest Carbon USB cable, my Mac recognises my DAC, but when using a 3 metres long AQ Carbon cable, the very same DAC is not recognised any more! The joy of computer audio!!!

42 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Sorry, if raising a question that might have appeared earlier on: when selecting a track in Audirvana 3.0.3, my Mac Book Pro automatically switches to internal speakers as output, even though in Midi setup as well as in the preferences menu, the corresponding DAC (Aqua La Voce) is selected. So Farbe, I have not found a solution to the problem, so Andy Input is welcome. I am running El Capitan as the operating system.

Also in Audirvana, with my 1.5 metre long Audioquest Carbon USB cable, my Mac recognises my DAC, but when using a 3 metres long AQ Carbon cable, the very same DAC is not recognised any more! The joy of computer audio!!!

i would think that you've tried this, but, if not, select your DAC as the output device in System Preferences. In Audirvana Preferences > Audio System > Preferred Audio Device > Change. Enable Exclusive Access Mode and Direct Mode.

If you want to use the longer cable, try adding an inexpensive AC-powered USB hub. Use the USB port with the fewest devices on the USB bus.

1 hour ago, biosailor said:

This is by design; i.e., it's how exclusive access works.

Select your DAC in Audirvana preferences - as it grabs exclusive access for playback, you'll see the selected output change to (something else) in Audio MIDI if your DAC is normally selected in Audio MIDI.  Once Audirvana stops playback on your selected DAC, you'll see Audio MIDI switch back to your DAC.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

1 hour ago, jhwalker said:

This is by design; i.e., it's how exclusive access works.

Select your DAC in Audirvana preferences - as it grabs exclusive access for playback, you'll see the selected output change to (something else) in Audio MIDI if your DAC is normally selected in Audio MIDI.  Once Audirvana stops playback on your selected DAC, you'll see Audio MIDI switch back to your DAC.

All right, I get it: what you're saying is to de-activate exclusive mode? Did that and voilà, Audirvana plays straight into my DAC! Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

i would think that you've tried this, but, if not, select your DAC as the output device in System Preferences. In Audirvana Preferences > Audio System > Preferred Audio Device > Change. Enable Exclusive Access Mode and Direct Mode.

If you want to use the longer cable, try adding an inexpensive AC-powered USB hub. Use the USB port with the fewest devices on the USB bus.

Thanks for suggesting a powered USB hub. I thought myself about trying it, but never got around to add one. Will do that soon and I'll get back to you.

2 minutes ago, biosailor said:

All right, I get it: what you're saying is to de-activate exclusive mode? Did that and voilà, Audirvana plays straight into my DAC! Thanks!!!

Actually, the opposite, for best results.

To be specific:  Select your DAC in Audirvana (Preferences | Audio System | Change).  Leave Exclusive Mode checked.  Audirvana should play directly to your DAC.  If it does not work, that's another matter ;)

What you see in Audio MIDI is irrelevant; i.e., when Audirvana is playing to your DAC in Exclusive Mode, you'll see Audio MIDI switch to (something else) - because Audirvana has taken exclusive control of your DAC away from macOS - but that doesn't matter.  When Audirvana stops playing, Audio MIDI will switch back to your DAC, if that's your default.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

16 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Actually, the opposite, for best results.

To be specific:  Select your DAC in Audirvana (Preferences | Audio System | Change).  Leave Exclusive Mode checked.  Audirvana should play directly to your DAC.  If it does not work, that's another matter ;)

What you see in Audio MIDI is irrelevant; i.e., when Audirvana is playing to your DAC in Exclusive Mode, you'll see Audio MIDI switch to (something else) - because Audirvana has taken exclusive control of your DAC away from macOS - but that doesn't matter.  When Audirvana stops playing, Audio MIDI will switch back to your DAC, if that's your default.

Super, did that and it works!!! Enjoying Ike Quebec's Bossa Nova Soul Samba ?

I've been unable to figure out a way to search for Tidal Masters (MQA) using the Audirvana remote.  I can sort for new Tidal masters on my computer, but not on the remote.  Is this possible on my iPad, or am I missing something?  Thanks in advance.