IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

My personal interest is the best sounding solutions within a reasonable price range. My funds are also limited. The problem with these kind of discussions is that those who find something to expensive or have invested a lot of time and effort in something, automatically have the tendency to protect and defend. That is normal human behaviour. Like I said, I am a long time A+ adept and will stay with the product if it realises the best sounding solution in my chain. At the moment it is not. I am not a Roon fanboy. In fact, I am using the free 2 month trial that came with my mRendu. I am open minded and willing to learn and adjust in this very fast moving digital audio world.

I see from your signature that you've got the wonderful Lindemann monitor speakers but not their DAC. I just wondered if you had a chance to hear their new DSD series musicbook DACs at all?

I've recently replaced my ageing Zodiac Gold with Musicbook 20 DSD and I must say I'm very pleased with it.

FWIW, I tried the MQA via the TIDAL desktop app but Audirvana sounds better even without the MQA software decoding.

Can't wait to try out the MQA music with Audirvana+ 3!

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

I see from your signature that you've got the wonderful Lindemann monitor speakers but not their DAC. I just wondered if you had a chance to hear their new DSD series musicbook DACs at all?

I've recently replaced my ageing Zodiac Gold with Musicbook 20 DSD and I must say I'm very pleased with it.

Actually I am in the market for a new DAC. I auditioned the Chord DAVE, the Aqua La Scala mkII Optologic and the Metrum Pavane so far but there are others I want to listen to before I decide. I read good things about the Lindemann musicbook products but did not consider them yet. I guess because they are to all-in-one for me. Such concepts come with sacrifices. Not having an AES/EBU input for instance. And I really want to make a big step compared to my Chord Hugo.

You are right, the Lindemann BL-10 monitors are something! I am sorry for the off topic, back to A+ v3.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Obviously we have someone who is part of Roon's market, and someone who is not. :) But this is aside from A+ v3, which is what we're discussing....

I'm very much in Roon's market. Just observing its price, and to my ears comparable yet not superior audio quality, is not going to dominate our market anytime soon - which is good news for A+ and the others. I can afford Roon, just not compelled enough by what it does to pay.

As for library management, yes, Roon wins the blue ribbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

My personal interest is the best sounding solutions within a reasonable price range. My funds are also limited. The problem with these kind of discussions is that those who find something to expensive or have invested a lot of time and effort in something, automatically have the tendency to protect and defend. That is normal human behaviour. Like I said, I am a long time A+ adept and will stay with the product if it realises the best sounding solution in my chain. At the moment it is not. I am not a Roon fanboy. In fact, I am using the free 2 month trial that came with my mRendu. I am open minded and willing to learn and adjust in this very fast moving digital audio world.

I'm very much in Roon's market. Just observing its price, and to my ears comparable yet not superior audio quality, is not going to dominate our market anytime soon - which is good news for A+ and the others. I can afford Roon, just not compelled enough by what it does to pay.

As for library management, yes, Roon wins the blue ribbon.

For me, wrong on both counts I guess (who is and isn't in Roon's market). :)

I tried out Roon for library management, but have never listened to its audio output, since I only ever tried it with HQPlayer. I suppose I am a man of simple tastes ( ;) ), because I already knew most of the information Roon showed me, and I actually much prefer A+'s display of my music. However, I recognize many other people prefer the sort of information and organization Roon can do for them.

Since software sample rate conversion and filtering is a way for me to get sound on a level meeting or exceeding the filtering and conversion of the best DACs at a much, much lower price, I don't foresee listening without it. However, back in the days when Audirvana wasn't yet "Plus" and didn't incorporate upsampling, I preferred it to other players because of specific steps Damien had taken to ensure good sound quality (something he continues to do today). Even without upsampling, with Roon's emphasis on UI, it is difficult for me to imagine that it would be as light on resources when playing music as A+.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Roon does look good but personally, I don't need all the fluff.

I want the best sounding player and ease of use. I don't want to have to navigate an app and scroll through pages to play a song.

Saying that I do hope A+ V3 includes some UI changes to make it easier on the eyes.

As far as sound goes, A+ wins it for me and that is my 1 criteria.

However, back in the days when Audirvana wasn't yet "Plus" and didn't incorporate upsampling, I preferred it to other players because of specific steps Damien had taken to ensure good sound quality (something he continues to do today). Even without upsampling, with Roon's emphasis on UI, it is difficult for me to imagine that it would be as light on resources when playing music as A+.

This was a concern for me as well. Roon server acts as a background process on my dedicated Mac mini. Is does not even open a window or has some kind of interface. CPU usage is between 2 - 4% and memory usage approximately 1.5 times wat A+ needs. The more heavy duties like updating and backing up the DB are scheduled for sleeping hours. What I find amazing is that my own collection and all from Tidal co-exists transparently and that I can associate between artists, influencers, labels etc. just like for instance in Tidal's own UI.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

This was a concern for me as well. Roon server acts as a background process on my dedicated Mac mini. Is does not even open a window or has some kind of interface. CPU usage is between 2 - 4% and memory usage approximately 1.5 times wat A+ needs. The more heavy duties like updating and backing up the DB are scheduled for sleeping hours. What I find amazing is that my own collection and all from Tidal co-exists transparently and that I can associate between artists, influencers, labels etc. just like for instance in Tidal's own UI.

That part is cool

Audirvana 3 has released!! - just saw in my day dream, Damien :)

How does it sound? :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

I just ran into an issue. Damien and I are working on it. I hope I didn't delay the release :~(

If there's an issue capable of repetition in a user's system, the delay would be worthwhile IMHO.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If there's an issue capable of repetition in a user's system, the delay would be worthwhile IMHO.

You're not particularly particular :D

Damien found the problem and it wasn't related to A+. I told A+ to scan my music by adding the top folder on my NAS share. I totally forgot that I had RoonDB backups in that location as well. This caused some very strange display issues that we all self inflicted.

Carry on ...

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Damien found the problem and it wasn't related to A+. I told A+ to scan my music by adding the top folder on my NAS share. I totally forgot that I had RoonDB backups in that location as well. This caused some very strange display issues that we all self inflicted.

Carry on ...

though... an option to exclude sub-directories would be a godsend ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hi Damien

Again ready and really willing to test Beta..........

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

All I have heard lately about A+ has to do with streaming. Is A+ going to be focused on streaming content? What is the future of the product? He seems to be betting his future on MQA.

I listen to, primarily, local content in 16/44.1 PCM format. What about features that benefit people like me? Better library management is badly needed. Managing manual playlists is a joke.

Is there a better more user-friendly player option out there for the Mac that offers equivalent or better SQ when using an upsampling DAC like the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil playing 16/44.1 PCM source material?

All I have heard lately about A+ has to do with streaming. Is A+ going to be focused on streaming content? What is the future of the product? He seems to be betting his future on MQA.

I listen to, primarily, local content in 16/44.1 PCM format. What about features that benefit people like me? Better library management is badly needed. Managing manual playlists is a joke.

Is there a better more user-friendly player option out there for the Mac that offers equivalent or better SQ when using an upsampling DAC like the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil playing 16/44.1 PCM source material?

The "headline feature" for 3.0 is MQA, and for 3.1 is streaming capability. But there is no diminution of the ability to play local files.

For me the primary criterion has always been the sound. I've found no better SQ for Mac, and as I've mentioned previously, I've heard a beta (not using one now, waiting for the new release like everyone else) and felt the sound quality to be improved. (More than a little, by the way. I was not told by Damien; I heard the beta and asked if he'd done something to improve the sound.)

Sorry to say I don't know what if any library management changes there have been, because I have for a long time had a fairly simple library management process that A+ works with very well, so my testing doesn't really explore those features.