IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is getting inconsistent results switching between audio devices on the remote app.  I am running Audirvana Plus on an iMac hooked up to my Schiit Gungnir DAC and if I want to switch the audio device out to my UPnP Raspberry Pi (using Volumio) via the app, it will not give me the option to do it. If I have Audirvana Plus device switched to something else (ie, Built In Input, Hiby R3) then it will allow me to switch to "Volumio" via the app.

Is there some other way I may need to configure my main computer DAC (Gungnir) in order to allow the the audio device to be switched via the App?

2 hours ago, damien78 said:

And no need for a DSD over PCM trick that eats 50% additional bandwidth for its markers, as the Core Audio PCM-only issue is no more.

Interesting news (news to me at least)!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

9 minutes ago, damien78 said:

No delay in it, 3.2.15 is just a quick workaround release.

The Beta version of the new free upgrade for Mac users (version 3.5) will be available in the 2nd half of February.
It will bring you a fully redesigned User Experience and "Dark Theme" optional interface along with a few nice surprises...
I know some of you expected it sooner, but we want this very significant release to be pleasant and smooth. So just a bit more patience.
Thanks!

Damien

Would be cool if the next version could identify MQA or Hi-Res albums on Tidal & Qobuz without having to click through them.

2 minutes ago, KenG said:

Would be cool if the next version could identify MQA or Hi-Res albums on Tidal & Qobuz without having to click through them.

Windows version does show hi-res on Qobuz, so my guess (and it is only a guess) is that 3.5 might bring the same for Mac.

ISTR a long while back when MQA first came to Tidal and I checked it out, that there was already a way to identify or isolate the MQA albums on Tidal, but I could be misremembering.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

14 minutes ago, Jud said:

Interesting news (news to me at least)!

a DSD over PCM frame is 24bit with the high 8 bit being an alternating marker, and the low 16bit being the DSD data

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

3 minutes ago, damien78 said:

a DSD over PCM frame is 24bit with the high 8 bit being an alternating marker, and the low 16bit being the DSD data

Yes - I took your statement to mean that native DSD is now possible with the Mac (I've never bothered to try, for example, DSD512, since my 2009 MacBook Pro won't run an OS more recent than El Cap, and even if it could it likely wouldn't have the resources for DSD512).  Is that correct, or did I leap to the wrong conclusion?

In DLNA, DSD signal is sent as an uncompressed DFF file to the network player.

Thus for a SACD ISO, Audirvana Plus uncompresses the DST compressed signal to then send the raw DSD data.

No conversion to PCM at all.

And no need for a DSD over PCM trick that eats 50% additional bandwidth for its markers, as the Core Audio PCM-only issue is no more.

The DSD compatible network players accept directly raw DSD (in DFF format).

Thanks a lot for the clarification!

The Sony documentation talks about DSD over DLNA but there is no other examples online of what it means, and if it was DLNA standard (in addition to DoP).

Thanks for making it work from Audirvana with the Sony receiver!

can’t wait for version 3.5 by the way :)

17 minutes ago, damien78 said:

Unfortunately you jumped to the wrong conclusion: CoreAudio is still limited to PCM only.

My point was that network playback using UPnP does not have this limit as the DSD network players do read true raw DSD (uncompressed DFF) directly.

It would also be nice if 3.5 worked with Asio.   I have an Exasound e-22 which can run with Asio & my understanding is that would be more efficient than CoreAudio.

No delay in it, 3.2.15 is just a quick workaround release.

The Beta version of the new free upgrade for Mac users (version 3.5) will be available in the 2nd half of February.
It will bring you a fully redesigned User Experience and "Dark Theme" optional interface along with a few nice surprises...
I know some of you expected it sooner, but we want this very significant release to be pleasant and smooth. So just a bit more patience.
Thanks!

Damien

@damien78 Will there also be an update to A+ Remote?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does A+ allow the use of multiple music libraries?  I have some music files on a separate HDD that I do not want commingled with my main music files and it would be great if I could have them in a separate library for A+ to access.  Of course, iTunes allows you to create different libraries that can be selected when holding the option key upon opening iTunes.  Can this be done in A+?  Thanks.

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

On 1/28/2019 at 8:51 PM, mimizone said:

Would 3.5 have a last.fm scrobbler?

That has been requested for years...

A workaround if you use A+ with a UPnP renderer: install a MPD scrobbler on the MPD device. I've installed mpd-scrobble (https://github.com/hawx/mpd-scrobbler) on my Volumio RPi and everything A+ plays now scrobble to last.fm.

(I can't get Volumio's own last.fm plugin to work for some reason. And I also tried mpdas (https://github.com/hrkfdn/mpdas) which seems better than mpd-scrobbler, but it doesn't work well over UPnP/with A+).

On 1/29/2019 at 3:02 AM, Russell_L said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does A+ allow the use of multiple music libraries?  I have some music files on a separate HDD that I do not want commingled with my main music files and it would be great if I could have them in a separate library for A+ to access.  Of course, iTunes allows you to create different libraries that can be selected when holding the option key upon opening iTunes.  Can this be done in A+?  Thanks.

Yes it does, you can specify multiple path in the library section of the preferences

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

HI, I am running the latest version of Audirvana+ v3 for Mac (v3.2.15) on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with macOS High Sierra v10.13.6, a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 16 GB of RAM, and a Samsung 1TB SSD. I am using Audirvana to stream TIDAL HiFi "Masters" MQA files to my Melco N1Z (Mk. 1) via WiFi. At the beginning of virtually every MQA track, there is a massive CPU spike of 100% to 200%+ that causes the music to stop for several seconds. After the CPU spike dies down, the music returns to normal. I am guessing these CPU spikes are caused by the 'unfolding' of the MQA tracks from, say, 24/44.1 to 24/88.2 or from 24/48 to 24/96. I get that the MQA unfolding process will cause a CPU hit, and I know I am not running a cutting edge processor, but these CPU spikes seem grossly excessive. Is there anything I can do to minimize this issue short of getting a new computer? Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

On 1/30/2019 at 3:05 AM, dgilz said:

Yes it does, you can specify multiple path in the library section of the preferences

Hmmm... I don't see it there.  I do see where I can specify multiple folders for my (single) library, and this is what I do currently.  But what I want is the ability to have a choice between different libraries (each pointing to its own set of folders).  In other words, there's some music I have that I do not want mixed in with my other music, and the only way I see to do this to have 2 (or more) distinct libraries.  iTunes allows this (by holding down the Option key when launching it); does Audirvana?

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3