IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

I have a question about how MQA works without a MQA dac. I know if I shut of upsampling, it does the first unfold to 88/96 even if the MQA in the right shows 192 or higher. But it also outputs to 88 even if the MQA file is only 22/44. Why would it output higher than the file?

Next question is if I do turn on upsampling, does the first unfold still happen? So does it convert to MQA 24/96 and then apply the additional upsampler?

This is what I'm planing for the Roon/HQPlayer combo when they update to MQA. Do the software unfold first and then send that to HQPlayer for dsd output.

Yes, to DSD256.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Turn off the upsampling and see what it outputs on that track? I don't think you'll see anything higher than 24/96.

I still don't understand this restriction though. I'm sure Audirvana would have no problem unfolding the whole thing if allowed. You just couldn't do the last step of matching to the DAC. And even then, if MQA provided the DAC profiles, the software could do that on the matched DACs. Really thinks it's to get you to buy a new DAC. See how good this sounds at 24/96, it would sound even better at 24/192.

But unfolding to 24/96 and then further upsampling to DSD makes the need for a MQA DAC less needed. And still looking at a very small percent of albums even encoded in MQA at the moment.