IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

Audirvana Plus 3.0 is now officially available!

Enjoy!

Damien

PS: there is still 15 days trial period fully functional.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

If I have a license for 2.6 is the upgrade free, or do I need to re-buy?

Upgrade is free for 2.x purchases since Dec 25th, 2016 CET

For other 2.x (or 1.x) owners upgrade is USD39 or €34 (+ VAT for Europeans)

Installed and playing! It does sound different and I think better....what did you change?

I've further optimised the audio playback engine :D

do I have to backup v2 library (... and preferences?), in case I want to go back, or v3 and v2 libraries are compatible?

You should make a backup in this case as v3 library has added columns for MQA authenticity information.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

@damien78 - I have a question about the MQA options.

When no MQA device is detected, A+ v3 give me the option to select (see screenshot). I'm guessing these options tell A+ how to handle MQA files for output.

1. Not MQA Device

2. MQA Renderer Device

3. MQA Decoder Device

I'm guessing if I select option 1, A+ handles software decoding of the core and option 3 just send MQA out bit perfect to the hardware decoder. But, what happens if I select option 2? Doesn't that also handle software decoding of the core just like option 1?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33872[/ATTACH]

That's correct:

1. A+ handles software core decoding, and any further audio processing (upsampling, audio units, ...) is available

2. MQA Renderer (e.g. Audioquest DragonFly) A+ handles software core decoding, but any further audio processing is disabled for MQA files

3. MQA Decoder (e.g. Meridian Explorer 2) No audio processing nor decoding. MQA files signal send bit perfect to the DAC that does all the MQA decoding and rendering

Audio processing is disabled for 2 & 3 so that the MQA DAC gets the MQA signal correctly and thus recognises it.

ReplayGain commands are then transmitted to the DAC for gain control in the DAC.

But note that for such gain commands to be send to the DAC, it needs to be detected as MQA DAC.

A USB connected MQA DAC is automatically detected as such. These manual settings are there only for the case a MQA DAC is connected through a unidirectional link (e.g. S/PDIF) and thus can't tell it is MQA.

@quark: you may want to check with Mytek if they have a firmware update with the MQA Device Management features

Non MQA files are not impacted with those settings.

Thanks pabe12 an Astrostar59. I had tried rebooting before. Just logging in and out didn't seeem to help either.

Qobuz individual tracks are greyed out. Error message says they cannot be streamed. Rebooted modem earlier. Can stream fun in qobuz app...

Appreciate the help all the same [emoji120]

Mac mini -> Regen -> Burson CV2+ -> HD560

Where are you located?

Qobuz may be enforcing more the restriction to allow streaming only from the countries where its service is available.

Yes, same problem here. Meridian Explorer 2, which indicates Audirvana must convert to PCM - plays back at double speed for DSD64. It also seemingly plays back at 4x for DSD128, and 8x for DSD256 ;)

Thanks for the report.

You can find get the fixed version here

I think I know this, but just so I'm not missing anything...

Audirvana+ is a music player on the Mac only, right? And - it has no music server mode to enable endpoints like the mR or the sMS-200, right?

Streaming to µRendu and others is coming with next release 3.1 :)

Just released minor update 3.0.1 with the fix for the DSD to PCM playing speed.

For owners of Teac 503 DACs, please note their is an issue in these DACs current firmware that causes an incompatibility with the MQA capability detection. This results in inability to start playback.

Until Teac fixes this with an updated firmware, I've made a build without the MQA DAC management. You can get it from here

@AudioDoctor

My Luxman DA06 is from 2014

Regarding to A+ v3 compabilty with some DACs, now I realized that in A+ download site has a disclaimer talking about it that includes Luxman' DAC, Teac, and others. There as special A+ v3 version, AudirvanaPlus_3.0.0.1-teac.dmg, to workaround but didn't worked to Luxman too.

I had to rolled back to version 2.6.6 and everything is working fine again with Luxman DA06.

I have already bought A+ v3 upgrade from v2, so I hope @damien78 could solve this issue as soon as possible!

I have other users with the Luxman DA06 and it works with the special build.

But after installing it in place of the regular version 3, you need to reboot, and to unplug then replug the DAC USB cable to ensure its USB interface has restarted.

Sorry, in both A+ 3.0.1 as well as A+3.0.2

Are you using the SW volume control? If yes, then this explains as there is an issue preventing native DSD playback with SW volume control. It is fixed for 3.0.3.

If you are not using SW volume control, but your DAC offers a volume control, be sure the slider is at full right position (100%) as some DAC USB interfaces have such volume control in the digital domain that damages the DoP signal.

I also use custom settings @ 96khz, it resets itself to 192khz.

Thanks for the report. Is also fixed for 3.0.3

Still having this issue with 3.02 (3006)

Can you send me by email or PM the crash report you get?

If I connect my Yggdrasil directly via USB, A+ 3.0.2 shows "16/192" in the upper left corner BEFORE I play any tracks. This is with no restrictions on bit depth or sample rate set in the software and no upsampling being done by A+. When I play a "16/44.1" track, it shows "32/44.1" in the upper left. When I limit the bit depth to "24" and the sample rate to "192", it shows "24/44.1" in the upper left.

Now, as I have said before, I would say this is a bug as A+ should be sending "16/44.1" to the DAC. A+ should let the DAC do any bit depth and sample rate changes when "Forced Upsampling" is set to "None".

Sending 16bit was causing more issues than any benefit. These issues started with El Capitan. That's why it is no more changing the bit depth of the stream over the USB bus.

The DAC recognises 24bit stream with the low 8bits being 0s as 16bit data anyway.

And most DACs offer only 24bit (or even 32!) streams on the USB bus.

On 17/03/2017 at 4:39 PM, wwaldmanfan said:

I went back to v.3.0 and the volume bar is indeed missing when software volume is selected in the prefs. Surprised no one else, especially Damien, has noticed this.

Just checked. It is an old issue (dating from v2) that does not update the volume bar displayed or not when changing in the user prefs. It is changed only when restarting Audirvana Plus.

This is now fixed for upcoming 3.0.3

On 17/03/2017 at 11:17 PM, moth said:

I can report the same issues with macOS 10.11.6, only my DAC accepts only 96 kHz and thus reverts to 96hHz by it's

own.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

This is fixed for 3.0.3

1 minute ago, astrostar59 said:

Have you viewed your library in iTunes to check that that software hasn't created the duplicate? It all is ok, then you need to fix things in A+.

How did you open up V3? Did you go from V2 and update the DB inside V3?

It is not possible now to go back to V2 once you use V3 unless you have made a copy of the audirvana DB.

I would say, go to prefs in V3, delete the music library link in V3, and then re import the library again. It will take some time, but should work better.

This issue of duplicated files comes most of the times from iTunes way of importing files: iTunes duplicates the files it imports, copying them in its iTunes Media folder.

This happens unless selected otherwise in the advanced settings of iTunes preferences.

So if you have told Audirvana Plus to synchronise with the folder containing the original files, and the iTunes Media folder, you see the two (or more depending on the number of importations done in iTunes) copies that are present on your disk.

Quick solution is to not synchronise both folders.

Better, but requiring more manual process is to clean up your disk by removing the duplicates.

1 hour ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Found a little bug...

I always have that CD in the Compute ReplayGain window...

It won't calculate or vanished if already compute with JRiver after...

Slow Motion (1974) [2008, +Bonus, Esoteric Recordings]

Found that removing the + sign cured the thing.

Where was this + sign in the track, album title, or the filename?

1 hour ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Filename of the Folder contening the flac files in my external hard drive.

Thanks. Now fixed for 3.0.3 (released a bit later today)

Just released 3.0.3 with the said bug fixes:

• Fix native DSD streaming when SW volume control is enabled
  • Fix upsampling custom sample rate wrongly displayed in preferences
  • Fix inability to play tracks in some CueSheets
  • Streaming artists: load more than 20 artists when artists list view is of more than 20 lines
  • Immediately handle Volume control type change in preferences in user interface
  • Fix issue preventing playback and ReplayGain computation of audio files with a '+' in their path name
  • WavPack library update to 5.1.0

1 minute ago, Sander_Kaa said:

My version of Audirvana (2.6.x) just auto-updated after I gave confirmation. However, not Audirvana always crashes on starting the application no matter how many times I try incl. rebooting the computer.

This is the hidden gift from Apple when compiling on Sierra. It breaks the compatibility with Mavericks.

Sorry for this, should not have issue a last version 2 bug fix... I'm applying the workaround, and I issue a 2.6.8 that will then be the last of the 2.x series.

Just now, Sander_Kaa said:

Thx to you both. Amazing to see a reaction in 5 minutes and Damian working on a solution. Merci bien!

2.6.8 built. Now testing on Mr Mavericks...

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Frojo said:

Using 'built-in' dac for output, also checked Audio/midi settings...... greyed out.

thanks for the suggestion.

If the system volume is greyed out, this means the selected audio device has none, like the digital output. Do you have a toslink(optical) cable plugged?

If you were trying to play audio with another application while Audirvana Plus was playing, macOS tries to find the next available audio device for it, and selects it.

Audirvana Plus takes exclusive control of the audio device to avoid interferences from other applications and be able to apply its advanced optimisations.

6 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Damien, I think you'd like to hear that 3.0.4 is working just fine for me...

Thanks! Same on all my macs I've used for validating this release.

Now the issue is to understand what is going different for those who have issues...

4 hours ago, Frojo said:

Hi Damien,

No other devices connected,and not trying to play other applications. It seems as if Audirvana has taken exclusive control but has not returned it afterwards- so i am stuck in 'exclusive mode'.

Even if Audirvana Plus had not released exclusive mode (what it does when stopping playback), it would have been reclaimed by the OS when exiting the application.

So there is another application interfering there.

What other audio applications/drivers do you have?

2 hours ago, win32pro said:

Hi,

I have a strange issue.

When I start Audirvana Plus (3.0), I get the message box that says it is unable to verify the license.

It goes away as soon as I have the internet connection.

Question: is that a bug or an intended behavior?

Regards,

Michael

The license validation must be done once every 2 weeks. So you need to connect your Mac to the Internet every two weeks.