IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

• 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, fourstrings1891 said:

This happens every time I try to re-arrange songs in a playlist. Great stuff.

Screen Sharing Picture 26 June 2017 at 19.45.58 GMT+2.png

More playlist craziness...

I drag track 2 and put it between track 4 and 5 (picture 1), and the dragged track disappears and the replaced with the name of track 3 (picture 2)...

How can A+ be so bad at library management? It's repeatable every time. (3.0.7). 

picture 1.png

picture 2.png

• 1 year later...

So what's up with new version...?

A+ really has everything I wish when it comes to sound quality and library management, but the interface is so buggy and unpredictable I sometimes want to throw the computer out the window. And don't get me started on the iOS app... So many time's I've thought "this is it, now I'm switching to another software". But the alternatives are always worse, and it's back to A+. Again and again. It's so frustrating!

I really hope the new version will be a huge improvement (and please don't go the iTunes path and remove customisable elements, just to make a cleaner interface!). But the focus on a completely new Windows port is worrying. Please give A+ Mac and the THE IOS APP some love! ❤️ 

20 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

What alternatives have you tried?

Roon (looks pretty and have some nice features, but way too little control over the view settings for me.)

JRiver (that's just a mess)

Do you know if the are any other I can try?

What I like with A+ is that it lets me control exactly what metadata to show in album and track view. I've put a lot of time in using the comment and grouping fields on my albums, and with A+ I can use that information in  nice way. A+ also has AppleScript support which I use in different ways.

I'm even thinking of setting up a separate computer (Windows, Linux or whatever), if I just can find a r ock solid and customisable library manager that can stream to a network renderer, controllable via an iOS app.

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 11.08.39.png

To give some examples of some very annoying bugs (they might be minor things, but they ruin the whole experience, causing frustration):

In album view:

Bug 1 - when selecting albums:

1 Click the black space between the albums to make sure no album is selected (so the track list is hidden)

2 Click one album - nothing happens

3 Click again - track list shows as intended, but the whole view scrolls (to the middle of the window?), so the selected album disappears

4 Scroll back to see the selected album

Bug 2 - when selecting multiple albums:

1 Select one album (going thru the process above...)

2 Hold down the Cmd key and click the album next to the album currently selected - that album is also selected. Good.

3 Hold down the Cmd key to also select a third album - everything is suddenly de-selected

(only way to select multiple albums is to click-and-drag, after which cmd-click works)

Bug 3 - dragging albums to a playlist:

Same as Bug 1, an album has to be selected twice before it can be dragged to a playlist

(after an album i correctly selected and the track list is shown, the drag-to-playlist works as intended).

Other bugs:

Bug 4 - sorting is not working at all in playlist view.

Bug 5 - shuffle doesn’t start with first track in play queue:

1 Add some tracks to the play queue

2 Click the Stop button to make sure the queue is reset

3 Click the shuffle button to shuffle the queue

4 All tracks before the first track (when it was originally added) in the queue are now marked as played and will be skipped during playback.

5 Click the stop button again to reset the queue and mark all tracks as unplayed.

@damien78

On 9/1/2018 at 7:57 PM, buonassi said:

i've noticed a few of these bugs you mention.  But I've accepted it as the tradeoff you make when going with an audiophile vs consumer-grade software.  the business models are different I'm guessing.  

1. Audiophile - 1/1,000th of the paying customers.  One developer.

2. Consumer - many paying customers, or free software that is monetized through some other framework.  Development team with never ending QA squashing bugs before they get out of beta.  

I think one's expectations could potentially be level set when thinking about it in these terms?  

Yes, that is true. And I don't expect everything to be perfect. But I still think these examples are minor things that should be fixed before starting up new, huge, projects (e.g. a Windows port).

More issues:

This Tidal track plays for only a few seconds, then skips to the next track: https://tidal.com/track/90481347

This track: https://tidal.com/track/86655419, and this track: https://tidal.com/track/93905303, both crashes Audirvana when I play them from a Tidal playlist. The first example can be played if I play it from directly from the album, and not from a playlist. Second example crashes A+ both from album and playlist.

All three tracks plays fine in the Tidal app.

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 8:51 PM, mimizone said:

Would 3.5 have a last.fm scrobbler?

That has been requested for years...

A workaround if you use A+ with a UPnP renderer: install a MPD scrobbler on the MPD device. I've installed mpd-scrobble (https://github.com/hawx/mpd-scrobbler) on my Volumio RPi and everything A+ plays now scrobble to last.fm.

(I can't get Volumio's own last.fm plugin to work for some reason. And I also tried mpdas (https://github.com/hrkfdn/mpdas) which seems better than mpd-scrobbler, but it doesn't work well over UPnP/with A+).