IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

That would be great. Always looking for an improvement, but all the tweaking in Audirvana and Dirac can take its toll.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Do yourself a favor and forget about upsampling. Just enjoy the organic sound of the native file. Won't be long before upsampling is filed away with "loudness buttons" and graphic equalizers.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

I do agree. The latest bottom end lost some body but it's better controlled overall.

There's nothing worse than an uncontrolled bottom, is there my friend?

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

How do you think a DAC normally works?

Personally speaking, I could care less. My views are totally based on the music I hear. I find upsampling alters or reconstructs the sound in an artificial manner that has limited appeal.

With very very few exceptions, DACs upsample, so unless you are listening with a non-upsampling override setting (which will sound horrible due to aliasing and other artifacts), your expectation bias is what you are hearing. Having software do so instead (or in addition) simply gives you more control. If you don't like those options, no one is suggesting you have to use them, but telling other people that it is damaging to the music is kind of ill-informed, despite the fact that you "could [sic] care less."

Upsampling is generally caused by an obsessive compulsion to fiddle, in a hopeless quest to extract another 0.1% of "sound quality" from your audio equipment. It's the very definition of expectation bias.

I would gladly forget about upsampling if it did not sound better. The only frustration I have is that finding a good starting point is so difficult. I love to tinker, but I am sure there are many who would give up pretty quickly. The amount of reading and experimenting I have done to get to a good place has been enormous. HQPLayer has the right idea with several sophisticated presets that are well done. It's interface is just too sparse. If Audirvana offered several presets designed for different types of DAC's and still allowed manual adjustments I think it would really help new users and would likely expand Damien's market share.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Sounds good. Please proceed, as you feel fit. Glad you enjoy the improvements in sound you are experiencing.

Well, If I happen to email you, I know how you would answer. It's naive to think you know the mind of every person who might receive such an email. Software development is a vast and varied field. Things happen, things don't happen, it's life... As is my griping about it. If it's deleted for being inappropriate to the topic at hand, that's fine too.

And maybe I am naive but I still say that the good will engendered by "hey sure, that's funny, off by four hours!" is preferable to the alternative. In the scenario posited above (what about the 23rd , the 22nd!) ... I wonder how many people that would really be?

Maybe I'll email and ask :)

I'm with you on that. Software is just another consumer (or B2B) product. You wanna stay in business? Word to the wise, don't piss off your customers - especially over 40 bucks. It's just stupid business. Damien's a fantastically talented programmer and seems like a great guy. But this kind of thing won't serve him well. I've been in consumer products my entire career and I can tell you, at times like this, you suck it up and help your customers. It all comes around.

Damien started this as an open-source hobby project, not as a money-maker, and he was hoping that more people would get involved. Since they didn't, or couldn't, he's selling it for a nominal fee in his spare time, but it isn't like this is some large business with six people answering phones at a help desk call center while filing their nails and hanging out at the water cooler. Get a grip.

OK, you seem to know all about his business model. Or lack of, as he's just a saintly chap doing the world a huge favor. LOL :-)

No, but he is a fellow CA member, who decided to take a shot at writing his own audio software. He is one of our own, and he is a great guy who is doing a lot of us a huge favor.

It's OK - I love him too.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TommyCat said:

I personally don't upsample and have no hi-res files past 96khz; I believe anything past that is both unhearable (is that a word?) and just puts stress on the system.  This is of course a highly arguable topic akin to the cable war (Yes, I do think cables make a huge difference ;-)

TommyCat - agreed on all points.  I went through an extended loop - testing all kinds of upsampling to high res PCM and DSD, as well as fiddling around with  filtration tweakery.  Eventually I came to the realization that non-upsampling sounds best on my system.  It's like drinking coffee without lumps of sugar and dollops of milk distorting the flavor.  I just like it better. And yes, good cable selection makes a far more satisfying contribution to enjoying the music. YMMV :-)

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

I forget.  Which non-upsampling DAC are you using?

I use a Hegel HD25.  According to the LED display, it processes redbook files at 44 kbps.  I dunno, does that mean it upsamples them?     

• 1 month later...