IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

His website still says end of January. Would be comforting, and perhaps respectful, to receive an updated release date.

With all due respect, do you want it fast, or do you want it right? This isn't even his day job.

It's not like you can't keep using the old version in the meantime.

Not sure what is going on. I downloaded the trial version of 3.0. The GUI and everything else looks exactly the same as v.2x, no changes to prefs, or anything else. The attached user manual also says v2.6. Do I have to delete something on my hard drive? I've already deleted the library files, and recreated them, since I only use it in basic, Play Queue mode anyway.

No point in disparaging those who like the iZotope filters. Whether you use this feature depends on your hardware and your taste. Personally, my DAC upsamples everything to 844 kbps PWM, and doesn't have to "work hard" to do it, so I feed it native files. Instead, I focus my attention on finding the best digital masterings of the music I like, which, ultimately, has more effect on SQ.

Audirvana provides an amazing array of features and options besides its excellent sound. It only took me a few tracks to realize that v3.0 does sound better than ever. Of course, I pulled the trigger on the update, which is a bargain, notwithstanding the fact that I only use it in its most basic Play Queue mode. Note that the new license key code only works on up to two Macs.

I didn't disparage those who like iZotope filters. I just don't bow down to them like they are the end all be all. I didn't like how it sounded compared to what my $250 DAC did on it's own.

I don't care what anyone else uses. Use what you think sounds best. I, apparently, am not allowed to prefer what is in my DAC. I am obviously stupid for not preferring iZotope filters and NOS DACs.

Since I agree with you completely, does that make me stupid, too? I hope not.

No one here is forcing anyone to do anything, as far as I can tell. It's all good.

As an Audirvana user since v1.4.9.7, I want to give a big merci beaucoup shout-out to Damien for this latest update. This one delivers the biggest change in SQ from the previous versions. I've always thought the supposed improvements with each new iteration were subtle at best, but this time, it was immediately apparent. Best bang for the buck upgrade since I got into computer audio.

Hope all you guys with network, streaming, and library management issues get them sorted out.

Any idea how I transfer my 2.6 License file purchased 2/1/17 to 3.0???

My license number was not included in the email from Avangate and appears to be encoded.

On your computer, locate your license file from v2. The document suffix is .audlic

Open the file in TextEdit. About 16 lines down, your license number will be shown like this:

<key>OrderRef</key>

<string>38XXXX90</string>

<key>City</key>

Go to the Audirvana Plus website. Click Buy Now > Upgrade

Enter your info and number

Even though direct mode doesn't work on latest mac software, am I missing a lot as a result? I have never used A+ before you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I don't think so. I'm running Mavericks. If there's a difference to be heard, it sounds as good or better with it off.

Don't worry about the friggin' USB cable, or your preamp. Been there and done that with half a dozen USB cables, and a $4K Mark Levinson preamp that a friend loaned me. No audible difference.

I stopped worrying about all this minutae, and am free just to enjoy the music.

What a weird way to upgrade a product. You have to use the Buy button to do a FREE upgrade, thank goodness someone clued me in, otherwise I would've never figured it out. That's something they need to fix, and communication, I asked at the web site and here to Damien, no one bothered to answer me. That all leaves a horrible view about how Audirvana does business.

Some people will find something to complain about, no matter what.

So, your point to this guy is "you should pay be happy to pay more"? I had almost the exact same experience. I also purchased on the 24th of December, and feel totally shafted. If Damien is at all concerned about "staying in business", maybe pursuing customer loyalty instead of customer alienation would be a good strategy? Instead of being happy to buy the remote, buy subsequent upgrades that aren't announced immediately after I purchase, and so on, I am so annoyed with the so called 'customer service' that I am more likely to spite-purchase a 500$ Roon licence than ever buy another Audirvana product ever again. It's isn't the 39$, it' the principle.

Great first post. Just what we need here, another petulant whiner.

1 minute ago, TommyCat said:

Well, that is beautiful and thank you!  Looks like upsampling to 211 khz is happening!  So the theory is that upsampling in the software, prior to sending to Dac, is more efficient than letting the dac do it?

thanks again!

I don't believe that the DAC has to "work harder" to do what it is designed and built to do. By the same token, upsampling in the music player software forces the computer to "work harder" before sending the file to the DAC, does it not?

You have options, so assume nothing. Better to experiment a bit, and let your ears decide what sounds best. On my rig, I think that iZotope upsampling in Audirvana colors and muddies the sound, and artificially alters the soundstage. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Sorry, if raising a question that might have appeared earlier on: when selecting a track in Audirvana 3.0.3, my Mac Book Pro automatically switches to internal speakers as output, even though in Midi setup as well as in the preferences menu, the corresponding DAC (Aqua La Voce) is selected. So Farbe, I have not found a solution to the problem, so Andy Input is welcome. I am running El Capitan as the operating system.

Also in Audirvana, with my 1.5 metre long Audioquest Carbon USB cable, my Mac recognises my DAC, but when using a 3 metres long AQ Carbon cable, the very same DAC is not recognised any more! The joy of computer audio!!!

i would think that you've tried this, but, if not, select your DAC as the output device in System Preferences. In Audirvana Preferences > Audio System > Preferred Audio Device > Change. Enable Exclusive Access Mode and Direct Mode.

If you want to use the longer cable, try adding an inexpensive AC-powered USB hub. Use the USB port with the fewest devices on the USB bus.

14 minutes ago, Serpieri said:

I have licenses for the version 2.x of the software.  I downloaded the demo for 3.x.  How does one go about getting the license key to make 3.x valid again?

Find the v.2 license document on your computer. The file suffix is .audlic. Open that file in TextEdit. About 16 strings down, your license key will be shown like this:

<key>OrderRef</key>

<string>38XXX90</string>

<key>City</key>

That 7-digit code is your customer number. Enter it where prompted on the Audirvana update page, and pay the upgrade fee.

38 minutes ago, anmaksh said:

I think I know what caused my issue.  I have two computers in the house and I entered my license key on the 2nd computer and now I am trying to start A+ on the first computer. :-)  Oops!

How can I remove my 2nd computer from using the license?

Best,

Ken

You can have A+ on two computers, but not run it simultaneously. Quit the app, or turn off wifi on the one you are not using.

2 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Occasionally having to 'check in', say monthly, doesn't worry me, but as I mentioned in my first post on this aspect, what is a concern is what happens to my hifi system when Damien one day decides he's had enough of this lark, or our whinging, or something worse - I expect it to sit there, stable, working indefinitely. 

Good point. If the unwarranted backlash here becomes too obnoxious, he might well decide to walk away. After all, as we know, developing Audirvana is not his day job.

Regardless, the world would not come to an end. Worst case, you could always revert back to version 2.6, which everyone was perfectly happy with way, way back in the good ol' days (a few weeks ago).

13 minutes ago, Daudio said:

I get the same results as you, running A+ 2.5.4, on OS X Mavericks, with DAC connected. Figured I'd turn off Direct Mode, since it seemed unnecessary, but the changes in the A+ Preference panel were disconcerting ! This doesn't make any sense to me given the background of the two modes.

Disconcerting or not, this is the way it has always worked. What matters to me is how the software sounds, not what it says in the preferences. After critical listening, on my main system I prefer Mavericks with v2.6.8, direct mode + integer mode 1.

V.3.0.5 sounds too harsh through my B&W's. Turning off integer mode mellows it a little, but v2.6.8 still sounds more natural. However, on my desktop/headphone rig v.3.0.5 sounds wonderful.