IGNORED

Digital Trends

• 3 weeks later...
Not available yet but commented in Digital Trends at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona:

Dirac Research Can Make Any Stereo Into a Hi-Fi System | Digital Trends

:) Flavio

Personally, I find it humorous that DIRAC thinks they can: take a device that somehow is not sensitive enough to pass information without changing it(distortion), and somehow change it enough in so that the distortion distorts back to perfect.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Well... Digital Trends is the actual name of the site I linked above but we are also working on a possible new trend in digital processing where the sound from the headphones is externalized and the soundstage does'nt move i.e. left when we move our head leftwise.

Nothing available in the market yet but more on the subject here:

How to Make Headphones Stereo-Compatible

In HiFi, Virtual Reality Might Be Better Than Reality

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Wow, that's fascinating/Interesting ;)

Well... Digital Trends is the actual name of the site I linked above but we are also working on a possible new trend in digital processing where the sound from the headphones is externalized and the soundstage does'nt move i.e. left when we move our head leftwise.

Nothing available in the market yet but more on the subject here:

How to Make Headphones Stereo-Compatible

In HiFi, Virtual Reality Might Be Better Than Reality

Flavio

Well, someone else did something similar before. When all was said and done, it still sounded meh. I mean you can dress up a pig's ear but it is still just a pig's ear. Using acoustics and reverb to try and fool your brain into thinking you are listening to a Hi-Fi system.

:D If you want a Hi Fi, buy one - that is what I think.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

9 hours ago, botrytis said:

Well, someone else did something similar before. When all was said and done, it still sounded meh. I mean you can dress up a pig's ear but it is still just a pig's ear. Using acoustics and reverb to try and fool your brain into thinking you are listening to a Hi-Fi system.

:D If you want a Hi Fi, buy one - that is what I think.

I'm pretty much with you. Headphones sound like headphones and a HiFi system sounds like a HiFi system. If you want one or both, purchase them. Trying to make one sound like the other will never compete with the real thing. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm pretty much with you. Headphones sound like headphones and a HiFi system sounds like a HiFi system. If you want one or both, purchase them. Trying to make one sound like the other will never compete with the real thing. 

Back in the 1980's when my wife and I lived in a house, then a mobile home, then an apartment, then a house again, we changed from using speakers in a hi-fi system to using headphones (again, in a hi-fi system), then back to speakers, and back to headphones again.  Other than having a somewhat different *visceral* experience with each setup, the music came through equally well on either.  Today we use headphones mostly, and speakers on occasion when the neighbors are away.  It's clear to me that if a person is tuned in to the music, they'll enjoy either setup, unless of course they "just don't like" one or the other.  And there's really no reason to complain, other than those unfortunate souls who don't have the wealth to have a house and a nice big hi-fi where they can blast the sound without disturbing the neighbors. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, using a hifi speakers/system in a untreated (normal) room without Dirac room correction is equally wrong (for me anyways) like using the headphone without proper calibration (Audyssey eq app). I've heard very expensive system in big rooms sounding so terrible that I've walked away after 2 minutes of listening. So any DSP done right that tries to improve the sound of any headphone or speaker is eventually a good idea. And since there is no standard for anything in Hifi and stereo reproduction it will always be only as good as it gets and not exactly the same like in the studio in the engineers chair (unless he somehow shares the curve and the actual sound signature of the room/speakers etc.)

So yes, try it all and don't bash on anything that you didn't hear your self;)