IGNORED

Sound Quality of different formats

STC

In video #1 One and Two have different levels.

What is 8 track in video #2? It is 8 tracks studio tape mixed to stereo?

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

In video #1 One and Two have different levels.

What is 8 track in video #2? It is 8 tracks studio tape mixed to stereo?

The hiss was more evident than the level to my ears in video #1.; and

Re: 8 track

In my country, we used to call it cartridge .

[video=youtube;XLZS0Sj9-1U]

Thank you for interesting information, I don't heard before about such device.

The hiss was more evident than the level to my ears in video #1.

Yes, hiss in sample Two.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Video one the hiss gives it away. I preferred the digital recording anyway. Sounded more like what comes off a mike.

I don't know about video two. For starters the vinyl was very poor quality as it had maybe 6-8 db of channel separation. Near mono. Vinyl can sound much better than that. Either a cartridge alignment issue or some other problem with the TT quality. So not really representative of vinyl in my opinion. Treble sounded down on the vinyl too. Hard to believe so many liked it in the comments.

I also believe some of the cassettes were recorded with dolby B NR and were being played back without dolby on. Or so they sounded. Cassette has more treble than 8 track of course, but half the cassettes had that crunchy dolby upper mid not being decoded sound.

BTW, I was listening over headphones. Maybe the near mono vinyl in vid #2 would have been less obvious over speakers. Over phones it was a dead instant give-away whenever vinyl was played. The headstage collapsed to less than half the size of cassette or 8 track. Bad LP rig when 8 track smokes your vinyl sound.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I prefer the digital for accuracy but the tape sounded a bit easier on the ears.

Video #2 is rather disappointing in terms of SQ but I don't think many here had the opportunity to compare the different formats side by side. I grew up with LP, cartridge (stereo 8) and cassettes but somehow the cartridge sound did register as attractive. Probably, the old TV size player with built-in speakers tricked a 5 year old boy then.

This video is more interesting where you can make digital to sound analogue....

Maybe I should use my Nakamichi deck to record some CDs. Using metal tape and Dolby C I believe some people would have real difficulty hearing the difference of digitally encoded cassette and the CD itself. Not that such is true of most cassettes.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Maybe I should use my Nakamichi deck to record some CDs. Using metal tape and Dolby C I believe some people would have real difficulty hearing the difference of digitally encoded cassette and the CD itself. Not that such is true of most cassettes.

Go for it! But like everything else expect lukewarm response for the poll. [emoji39]

Go for it! But like everything else expect lukewarm response for the poll. [emoji39]

Probably no poll. Just post them in both formats unlabeled and let people hear it. Discuss it as they want. Might not ever reveal which is which.

Video one the hiss gives it away. I preferred the digital recording anyway.

I'm forgotten what is hiss in begin of 2000s (if I don't mistaken) when available sound cards got own noise level lesser -100 dB :)

Its hiss may be listened after significant volume knob up.

First cheap sound cards had significant noise almost like analog.

Microphones are serious noise catchers. Especially condencer one.