IGNORED

The Vaporware Trails February 2017

Rt66indierock

As of February 24th the number of MQA albums is 1,658.

A couple interesting TIDAL hires, Tony Gervino and Elliot Wilson who come from the Hip Hop and Rap news Magazine XXL.

It still seems like MQA still has a long way to go.

Where did you get the total number of albums?

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

As of February 24th the number of MQA albums is 1,658.

A couple interesting TIDAL hires, Tony Gervino and Elliot Wilson who come from the Hip Hop and Rap news Magazine XXL.

It still seems like MQA still has a long way to go.

I really don't see any reason to revisit this now. Why not wait until January 2018 to get a meaningful measure of how this number grows. We will know so much more about the whole issue of hi-rez streaming and its prospects by then. Just takes a little bit of patience.

1070957250_Imprimatur.NihilObstatSepia3Crop(2).jpg.2162a44365e84a5df7d456bf8026ed67.jpg

I really don't see any reason to revisit this now. Why not wait until January 2018 to get a meaningful measure of how this number grows. We will know so much more about the whole issue of hi-rez streaming and its prospects by then. Just takes a little bit of patience.

A wise statement.

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Strange how Warner and Tidal are mum on this discrepancy...
Is it.? For me MQA has been a 'mum' format since its very begining! It's been 'unmummed' mostly probably here on CA.
What’s true of all the evils in the world is true of plague as well.
It helps men to rise above themselves.

―  Albert Camus, The Plague.

I disagree. Andy Merrill has a spreadsheet constantly being updated with exports from Roon. And we will know more after SXSW in March about hi-res. After all at CES 2017 it was announced that there are more than 15,000 albums available in hi-res and that 7 out of 8 people who pay for streaming don’t care about hi-res.

I disagree. Andy Merrill has a spreadsheet constantly being updated with exports from Roon. And we will know more after SXSW in March about hi-res. After all at CES 2017 it was announced that there are more than 15,000 albums available in hi-res and that 7 out of 8 people who pay for streaming don’t care about hi-res.

Is there something in particular happening at SXSW that you think will be significant? Lots of meet-ups and sessions, but nothing that strikes me as momentous: 39 Music Tech Events At SXSW - hypebot

1070957250_Imprimatur.NihilObstatSepia3Crop(2).jpg.2162a44365e84a5df7d456bf8026ed67.jpg

After all at CES 2017 it was announced that there are more than 15,000 albums available in hi-res and that 7 out of 8 people who pay for streaming don’t care about hi-res.

Sounds about right. Actually sounds a bit high if anything.

David

Is there something in particular happening at SXSW that you think will be significant? Lots of meet-ups and sessions, but nothing that strikes me as momentous: 39 Music Tech Events At SXSW - hypebot

They are going to have session about what it will take to move hi-res into the mainstream. The music industry is finding is hi-res is a very hard sell. There will be brave talk about the progress hi-res is making but not enough albums are available in hi-res to have a viable streaming service so that limits potential growth. It’s a numbers game and there aren’t enough albums.

Sounds about right. Actually sounds a bit high if anything.

Here are the numbers as people in the recording industry have told me. Albums recorded originally in hi-res PCM are about 2,000. The same amount for DSD about 2,000. There are a little over 11,000 albums converted mainly from analog tape to hi-res.

They are going to have session about what it will take to move hi-res into the mainstream. The music industry is finding is hi-res is a very hard sell. There will be brave talk about the progress hi-res is making but not enough albums are available in hi-res to have a viable streaming service so that limits potential growth. It’s a numbers game and there aren’t enough albums.

Thats' nice initiative but we would like to have it without restrictions for unaltered "non MQA" players and DACs, like impossiblilty to use DSP with fully decoded MQA stream. We will see if that initiative can succeed with these restrictions and complexity of MQA caused by inbound DRM features. Because people interested in hires tend to use players and DACs of their choice from sound quality reasons.

Just curious: Any idea if this means "available to the public for purchase" or "in the vaults"?

And any idea if this includes classical? I'm thinking DG has been digitizing a LOT of back catalog tapes.

Thanks in advance.

Just curious: Any idea if this means "available to the public for purchase" or "in the vaults"?

And any idea if this includes classical? I'm thinking DG has been digitizing a LOT of back catalog tapes.

Thanks in advance.

My sources tell me this is the amount available to the public and does include classical music. I'm not sure about digitizing back catalog music. Too many things you think would be digitized aren't.

Thats' nice initiative but we would like to have it without restrictions for unaltered "non MQA" players and DACs, like impossiblilty to use DSP with fully decoded MQA stream. We will see if that initiative can succeed with these restrictions and complexity of MQA caused by inbound DRM features. Because people interested in hires tend to use players and DACs of their choice from sound quality reasons.

It's worse that that, the small percentage of people 'interested in hires' at least tend to have some combination of ear and gear that -might- be able to differentiate between hires and not. The people 'not' interested in hi-res, what amounts to 'the main-stream', typically don't have either (e.g. smart phone + earbuds or whatever). For hi-res to become mainstream the content and gear just needs to happen at main-stream price points. Even CD didn't really take off with the mainstream until the players and albums hit mainstream price points and availability.

It's worse that that, the small percentage of people 'interested in hires' at least tend to have some combination of ear and gear that -might- be able to differentiate between hires and not. The people 'not' interested in hi-res, what amounts to 'the main-stream', typically don't have either (e.g. smart phone + earbuds or whatever). For hi-res to become mainstream the content and gear just needs to happen at main-stream price points. Even CD didn't really take off with the mainstream until the players and albums hit mainstream price points and availability.

Excellent comments, can ask what you consider mainstream price points? The best I've done is around $570 with vintage stuff and a DAC a couple of years ago. The best I can come up with new is $840. Both people are happy with the systems.

Without veering too far off topic, those with smartphones/earbuds would realize the biggest increase in sound quality just by moving up to something like Etymotic HP5s or Westone or Shure IEMs with microphones.

IMHO, that's the beginning of the path to driving demand for higher quality media. The Oppo HA2 stack (for example) is a non-starter for most hipsters I know.