IGNORED

Which speakers for Teac AI-101DA?

hello friends,

I am looking to move to a lower power and more compact speaker configuration.. I currently have a UD-501 acting as my DAC connected via Amber Regen to my PC USB, lining out to a new AI-101DA, which I'd like to drive smaller lower wattage speakers. Currently I have a set of PSB Image 2B that have been with me a long time, and so I'm looking for some smaller bookshelves to pair with the 101DA.

The 101DA max wattage output is at 25W per channel. I've seen a couple options, such as the Wharfedale Diamond 225, and the Axiom M3, which both look like great options for me and can be driven with lower power amps, but am curious how the 101DA would be able to drive them. I'm not looking for super loud output, and they will be positioned at my desk, use for close proximity listening 95% of the time.

Eventually the room I move them to will be my first floor living space, so the room will be larger than the bedroom I'm in now, but not by much, so again, loudness isn't really a big requirement (again, the reason I'm trying to go to a smaller amp/speaker solution)

I listen to mostly Drum and Bass and Dub and Trap and House.. electronic. So bass response for me is very important, and although I realize bass output will be lessened (as the PSB are bass all day long) I'd still like something that offers solid bass response and output, as much as possible.

Any opinions on some speakers I could have a look at beyond the two I mentioned would be much appreciated!

How about some JBL LSR305 active speakers. You connect up your Teac UD501 via XLR directly to the LSR305s. These are very slightly smaller than the Wharfdale Diamonds you mention. Have built in power amps. These are very clean, and powerful. Monitor speakers meant for up close listening. Hard to believe sound quality at such a lower price. Less than the Wharfdales, better sound quality and includes built in power amps.

Makes the 101 DA un-needed. Not sure how important the wireless capability of that is to you.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

How about some JBL LSR305 active speakers. You connect up your Teac UD501 via XLR directly to the LSR305s. These are very slightly smaller than the Wharfdale Diamonds you mention. Have built in power amps. These are very clean, and powerful. Monitor speakers meant for up close listening. Hard to believe sound quality at such a lower price. Less than the Wharfdales, better sound quality and includes built in power amps.

Makes the 101 DA un-needed. Not sure how important the wireless capability of that is to you.

Thank you for your reply.

One of the reasons I wanted to use the 101 was for the bluetooth connectivity. Its important enough that I'd prefer to use something that allows me this functionality since I will eventually be positioning my setup in a common room, and the ability for people to connect to the system wirelessly to play music is attractive.

This really is the only reason I'd elect to stick with an amp rather than powered speakers. If there were speakers that feature a bluetooth direct connection, I'd jump at that as well, and just use the 501.. are there any hi fidelity speakers that offer that? I've always used passive speakers in my setup, so my knowledge in active speakers is less than current.

Thank you for your reply.

One of the reasons I wanted to use the 101 was for the bluetooth connectivity. Its important enough that I'd prefer to use something that allows me this functionality since I will eventually be positioning my setup in a common room, and the ability for people to connect to the system wirelessly to play music is attractive.

This really is the only reason I'd elect to stick with an amp rather than powered speakers. If there were speakers that feature a bluetooth direct connection, I'd jump at that as well, and just use the 501.. are there any hi fidelity speakers that offer that? I've always used passive speakers in my setup, so my knowledge in active speakers is less than current.

I suspected that was important.

https://www.amazon.com/KEF-LS50-Wireless-Speaker-Copper/dp/B01M65KZ5Q

These would do what you want, but are a bit pricey. Music over wifi or bluetooth 4.0.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Wow, yeah you weren't kidding.. those KEF are pretty spicy. Seems that they sound awesome though. I wonder how the AudioEngin HD6 would compare at half the price of the KEF.

I have not heard those. A number around here have them and speak highly of them. Seem a sensible design.

I have not heard those. A number around here have them and speak highly of them. Seem a sensible design.

Also sounds like the Klipsh R-15PM may fit the bill.. they also have bluetooth connectivity and have great reviews. I may go with these and just ditch the 101DA outright.

Either way, I think this would be a better idea just in general over going passive from here on out. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Ill settle on one type of speaker and update the thread with my impressions once I pull the trigger.