IGNORED

Iso regen

15 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

I am hoping that I can get rid of my Singxer F-1 and plug the ISO Regen straight into my Yggdrasil using the USPCB.  I don't see how I could give it a better USB signal.

So is actually your present configuration with the F1 better than USB cable direct to your USB DAC (the Yggdrasil) ?

I suppose the answer is yes, but I'm wonder what is then the possible logical explanation behind.  Anyone?

3 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

So is actually your present configuration with the F1 better than USB cable direct to your USB DAC (the Yggdrasil) ?

I suppose the answer is yes, but I'm wonder what is then the possible logical explanation behind.  Anyone?

My premise is that the the DDC, the F-1, handles the USB crap (power, ground, clock issues) better than the DAC does. The DDC has a great clock and isolates the DAC from the USB bus/PC nicely.

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Thanks Sam!

Oh ! I'm jealous of either your memory, or your ID -> first name list  :) If its the latter (my bet) the story of how you knocked some of your mailing lists or whatever together to extract that fine info would be a fine tale for here, when you have some spare time; to sit around the campfire - so to speak  :)

4 hours ago, tboooe said:

The SU-1 requires VBUS in addition to 5V for operation.  Right now, I am using a split USB cable to inject VBUS from either my LPS or 5V

Did you not bypass the original PS of the SU-1 and add a LPS-1 ?

Is it that LPS-1 that supplies both VBUS and the rest of your SU-1

(I'm interested in exchange my F1 in an SU-1, so I like to understand what works or not). 

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

Did you not bypass the original PS of the SU-1 and add a LPS-1 ?

Is it that LPS-1 that supplies both VBUS and the rest of your SU-1

(I'm interested in exchange my F1 in an SU-1, so I like to understand what works or not). 

The plan is to power the SU-1 and supply VBUS with the LPS-1 but I have not received mine yet (I just placed an order for it a few days ago).  For now, I am using a Teknet 5v battery and it works just fine.  I wanted to verify that i could get the SU-1 working in this configuration before buying the LPS-1.  The SU-1 uses very little power by the way.  If the LPS-1 sounds better than my battery or linear power supply I will need to buy another one for the IsoRegen.  Ouch!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

45 minutes ago, tboooe said:

The plan is to power the SU-1 and supply VBUS with the LPS-1 but I have not received mine yet (I just placed an order for it a few days ago).  For now, I am using a Teknet 5v battery and it works just fine.  I wanted to verify that i could get the SU-1 working in this configuration before buying the LPS-1.  The SU-1 uses very little power by the way.  If the LPS-1 sounds better than my battery or linear power supply I will need to buy another one for the IsoRegen.  Ouch!

I measured a maximum of 111mA of current consumption at +5V for the downstream (I2S, coax, AES, etc.) side of my SU-1.  The current reading was highest when streaming 24/192 PCM out I2S (to my Spring DAC; I don't have any 24/384 content), so perhaps the 24.576MHz oscillator is a tad more power hungry than the 22.5792MHz oscillator??  The two oscillators are power-gated on the SU-1 so only one gets powered at a time depending on the incoming sampling rate.  I tried playing DSD256 (44.1K-based 11.2896MHz) but the current reading became slightly lower vs. 24/192 PCM.  Please note my SU-1 has been modified with a Belleson Superpower regulator so the current reading can well be a bit different from a stock SU-1, even when powered with the same DC +5V power source.

Instead of using two LPS-1, perhaps you can keep just one to power the downstream side of your SU-1 exclusively, and use a decent linear power supply or battery to feed the ISO Regen when it arrives.  The USB input (upstream) side of the SU-1 has galvanic isolation (i.e. moat) from the downstream side, so powering the upstream side with another LPS-1 may not yield much of an incremental benefit.  I suppose it can be tempting to try it anyway, though.

Hi Alex,

Reading this:

"The VBUS output from the REGENs (both the original USB REGEN and the forthcoming ISO REGEN) is extremely good as it regulated by the venerable TI TPS7A4700 1-amp ultra-low-noise LDO regulator (4.17uV RMS noise from 10Hz-100kHz, and PSRR of 82dB @100Hz). "

Makes me wonder, 

• if the power source for the ISO-REGEN is an LPS-1,
  • and presuming the LPS-1 output has lower noise then the 4.17u RMS,

does the TI regulator add back the noise up to the 4.17uV level?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

@Superdad any luck with the new Wireworld HDMI cable and the USPCB fitting on the back of the SU-1?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

4 minutes ago, tboooe said:

@Superdad any luck with the new Wireworld HDMI cable and the USPCB fitting on the back of the SU-1?

No, this thing is fatter and stiffer than the generic HDMI cable it will be replacing!  And then there is the fact that I stupidly ordered the 12-inch one--meaning that to use it I'll have to place the SU-1 right on top of the Holo Spring, then use longer USB cables.  I really don't like all these outboard things (says the guy who makes his living selling such xD).  Scan80269 may be replacing clocks in his Spring with hand-selected ultra-low-phase-noise pieces, and if that works out well I'll probably go for that and go back to using the Spring's USB input.

Having determined that no cable really is the best cable, my plan is to run microrendu and Iso Rendu from separate LPS-1's with no DC power cables, just a couple of DC male double adapter plugs.

To make this work practically using two USPCB, I need some info.

Alex, how long is the USPCB and what are the external measurements of the Iso Rendu?

Thanks,

Al J.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

34 minutes ago, Al Jones said:

Having determined that no cable really is the best cable, my plan is to run microrendu and Iso Rendu from separate LPS-1's with no DC power cables, just a couple of DC male double adapter plugs.

What's an Iso Rendu?  :D  We'll soon offer an ISO REGEN, but the "Rendu" stuff is from Sonore...

34 minutes ago, Al Jones said:

To make this work practically using two USPCB, I need some info.

Alex, how long is the USPCB and what are the external measurements of the Iso Rendu?

Thanks,

Al J.

ISO REGEN is the exact same size case as original USB REGEN--about 1.75" long by 2.25" wide.

The length of the USPCB--excluding the portion of the plugs that gets buried into the jacks is about 1.2".

Hope that helps. 

17 hours ago, lmitche said:

Hi Alex,

Reading this:

"The VBUS output from the REGENs (both the original USB REGEN and the forthcoming ISO REGEN) is extremely good as it regulated by the venerable TI TPS7A4700 1-amp ultra-low-noise LDO regulator (4.17uV RMS noise from 10Hz-100kHz, and PSRR of 82dB @100Hz). "

Makes me wonder, 

• if the power source for the ISO-REGEN is an LPS-1,
  • and presuming the LPS-1 output has lower noise then the 4.17u RMS,

does the TI regulator add back the noise up to the 4.17uV level?

The regulator driving the VBUS in the USB REGEN and ISO REGEN is exactly the same as the output regulator used in the LPS-1, the TPS7A4700. They are all the same noise level.

John S.

16 hours ago, Superdad said:

ISO REGEN is the exact same size case as original USB REGEN--about 1.75" long by 2.25" wide.

The length of the USPCB--excluding the portion of the plugs that gets buried into the jacks is about 1.2".

Hope that helps. 

Brilliant!

If I place each LPS-1 on its right side, supported by an upright 10x10cm heatsink, then I can make an ultra-short digital chain/train with USPCB's for signal connection and these DC plugs for power to the microrendu and Iso Regen. (My apologies for the Iso Rendu brainfart.)

These minimalist plugs sound significantly better than any DC cable I have tried, including Paul Haynes silver and Sonore DC-4.

double DC adapter.jpg

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Hi Al, just curious as I was looking at the minial plug you showed, it looks like the space might work on microrendu and just have enough space left for plugging in the ethernet cable. But for the Regen, the power and USB input are placed so close and it doesn't seem like it's going to fit even turned side way. Had you tested it out and worked? Thanks.

Sorry, no definitve measurements. I'm expecting a very tight fit at best based on the dimensions Alex gave above.

Maybe Alex could find the time to post a diagram of the Power/USB Out side of the Iso Regen with detailed measurements?

Al J.

7 hours ago, Al Jones said:

Sorry, no definitve measurements. I'm expecting a very tight fit at best based on the dimensions Alex gave above.

Remember that you can put either of them vertical as well. I have seen other members doing this to accomondate a solid DC connector.

🎛️  Audio System  

Corman, using the solid, 3" long USPCB will restrict the ability to rotate microrendu or Iso Regen. If rotation were possible, there would still be the question of whether the USPCB could clear the top of the LPS-1 case with the plug inserted.

I would love to use two double DC plug and two USPCB, but it might not be physically possible. In that case, I'll have to test them separately and go with whatever sounds best.

Al J.

1 hour ago, Al Jones said:

Corman, using the solid, 3" long USPCB will restrict the ability to rotate microrendu or Iso Regen. If rotation were possible, there would still be the question of whether the USPCB could clear the top of the LPS-1 case with the plug inserted.

I would love to use two double DC plug and two USPCB, but it might not be physically possible. In that case, I'll have to test them separately and go with whatever sounds best.

Ok, I see! :)  The 3" USPCB might cause you some difficulties if you want solid DC connectors as well. Difficult to predict the outcome of it. Very interesting project though. I will cross my fingers it will all fit nicely! ;) 

🎛️  Audio System  

Just a silly question. would the a cable be improved ie better impedance control attached to the adapter. Or is this not the case as this is just a fixed design and not adaptive. 

I just ordered the LPS1 in advance, UK side shop. Any more news?

Not rushing you ..honest just like reading the pre work issues on the journey.

Good luck with the house

Cheers

Dave

On 18. marts 2017 at 2:36 AM, Superdad said:

And we will offer a version where the "B" plug is turned 90-degrees--for folks who have trouble fitting their REGEN or microRendu to their DAC with a standard orientation.

USPCB proto.jpg

Alex,

In the twisted version, wIll the B plug be turned 90 degrees to the left or to the right?

Al J.