Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jamesg11

Iso regen

Recommended Posts

Will i be able to order from UK dealers to bypass any customs charges if bought direct off the website?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you mean... as is the case with that UK dealer you can buy a microRendu from for £660 instead of $640 direct? :P

 

get it direct from Alex and I'm sure he can do some magic to help you out ;)


Qnap HS-251+ NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a ZeroZone 19v/5A LPS) > Lumin U1 Mini (powered by a Vinnie Rossi Mini Pure-DC-4EVR LPS) >  UpTone Audio ISO Regen (powered by an Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2) > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier + First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

 

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U1 Mini > Metrum Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pl_svn said:

you mean... as is the case with that UK dealer you can buy a microRendu from for £660 instead of $640 direct? :P

 

get it direct from Alex and I'm sure he can do some magic to help you out ;)

 

Basically that price difference is reflecting the VAT in the UK, which he will have to pay even if he orders directly from Alex - they will add it on in customs before they release it to him. 

 

By buying from a dealer in the UK who has it in stock he is avoiding paying Alex for international shipping, and avoiding the hassle and delay of customs. If the prices are as you've quoted, then it's much better for him to buy from a UK dealer. 

 

Where I live there is a similar situation. Most audio equipment from a dealer is priced the equivalent of the US price plus VAT. If you do a personal import, you have to pay shipping and additional taxes, which most dealers "eat". Cheaper to buy thru a dealer if there is one. 


Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, musickid said:

Will i be able to order from UK dealers to bypass any customs charges if bought direct off the website?

 

Both Vortebox UK and Item Audio have been stocking our UltraCap LPS-1 and USB REGEN, so it is a good bet they will be carrying the ISO REGEN as well.

 

[Be advised though: Our products have always been priced for direct sale--without any room for the typical 40%+ dealer/importer discount. Dealers who do stock UpTone units are only getting them with the smallest of token discount (15%).  Obviously they are not making much at all on our pieces and carry them because of high demand and to compliment other products they sell.  Please be mindful of that when you use their time--and/or try to buy other things from them at the same time.  Thanks.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2017 at 1:11 AM, Superdad said:

Honestly, the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN is just icing on the cake.  It is all the other massive (and expensive) enhancements we have made to the device (over the original REGEN) that make this new piece perform wonders.  John and I can't wait for you all to hear it! :D

You are positioning galvanic isolation as a secondary contributor to the sound quality of the ISO REGEN rather than the key feature, right?

 

So wouldn't it be a good move for John and Jesus to update the micro rendu with the ISO REGEN enhancements (clocks, regulators)?  I'm not sure the Silanna chip would make  sense in the micro rendu given that ethernet is already galvanically isolated and the ISO REGEN requires +5v for the dirty side.


NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

 

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or will the ISO Regen create better sound quality without a mRendu in the component stream, thus the stream shall remain in the USB domain following the server?

Regardless, if the ISO Regen can exceed or get close to the sound quality of a renderer, via USB only, the ISO shall be my component of choice due to it's avoiding the network issues of renderers and providing all the benefits of format choices.

  


(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ElviaCaprice

@firedog

 

Similarly what would interest me is if the IsoRegen can make a standard and cheap minipc acting as NAA sound just as good as a specialized device like the microrendu or sms-200.  When I compared a mr with lps-1 to my i3 based PC, the mr definitely sounded better.  As much as I wanted to get either the mr or SMS I don't like being dependent on them to upgrade their kernel to support usage of my SU-1.  The fix has been on github for a while now with still no update from either company which I am totally ok with as a business decision.  But that only makes me prefer a pc based NAA solution so that I have more options.  

 

Anyway, I will definitely get the IsoRegen once it's released.  I just hope it doesnt break the bank!


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody who may have listened to the ISO REGEN hinted that I may need to replace my microRendu at my desktop setup... i.e. they hinted it's that good...

 

For those that have the microRendu at a desktop setup like I do or close to the PC, we're all obviously very eager to compare.. 

 

As per other threads I've been looking at ways to isolate ALL the audio from my PC (not just Roon and DLNA as the microRendu does) so I'm itching for this and it's worthy competitor to come out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Somebody who may have listened to the ISO REGEN hinted that I may need to replace my microRendu at my desktop setup... i.e. they hinted it's that good...

 

I am hoping that hint is true. Getting complete isolation from the PC side of the USB bus AND massive  improvements in USB power and signal on the DDC/DAC side of the USB bus would make it an near perfect solution for me.

 

I have also been looking at the Icron ethernet USB extender as a way to completely isolate the computer system from the audio system. But the primary use of the Icron would be extend the USB from my home office to my Library where my 2 channel system will soon be. This would make it so I would not have to move my MacBook Pro between rooms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

 

I am hoping that hint is true. Getting complete isolation from the PC side of the USB bus AND massive  improvements in USB power and signal on the DDC/DAC side of the USB bus would make it an near perfect solution for me.

 

I have also been looking at the Icron ethernet USB extender as a way to completely isolate the computer system from the audio system. But the primary use of the Icron would be extend the USB from my home office to my Library where my 2 channel system will soon be. This would make it so I would not have to move my MacBook Pro between rooms.

 

I've tried the LANRover powered by LPS-1 (this is made for PS Audio by ICRON with some audio specific changes) with my desktop headphone setup. I didn't prefer it over my microRendu powered by LPS-1.

 

Some say the LANRover needs a REGEN after it but I returned it for a refund. I guess this proves isolation is not everything (as Alex hinted above) since the LANRover was ethernet transformer isolated and mains isolated (Uptone LPS-1) - just like the microRendu. The USB signal integrity stuff that John has mastered (in the microRendu too) must be the secret sauce.

 

If you are able to try an ICRON or LANRover for free, do try it, because your experience may vary. Both have many very happy customers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not looked at the microRendu. How does the microRendu work with A+? Or does it replace it? How is the sound quality compare to A+? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for Alex @Superdad

 

Assuming my PC to USB Dac direct connection is working 100% fine, i.e. the USB drivers are working and the PC and Dac are playing nice together: if I inserted the ISO REGEN between the PC and USB Dac and couldn't get it working (after trying different USB cables etc) could I return it for a full refund?

 

I had this compatibility issue with an Intona previously. While compatibility issues are usually very few and far between they do happen. There aren't any drivers to install for the ISO REGEN (right?) so there's only so much I could tweak to get it working. Again, assuming the PC to USB Dac direct connection is working 100% before inserting the ISO REGEN into the chain.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

I have not looked at the microRendu. How does the microRendu work with A+? Or does it replace it? How is the sound quality compare to A+? 

 

At present it is not possible to use Audirvana+ with the microRendu (or any remote "streamer?/renderer).  Damien from Audirvana is working on an update that will support DLNA/OpenHome (possibly just for specific hardware like the mR, I don't), and that would allow A+ to direct audio to a microRendu on a LAN.  Not sure in what forcing version of A+ that support will come in.  You can ask over in the A+ thread.

 

Best,

--Alex C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Question for Alex @Superdad

 

Assuming my PC to USB Dac direct connection is working 100% fine, i.e. the USB drivers are working and the PC and Dac are playing nice together: if I inserted the ISO REGEN between the PC and USB Dac and couldn't get it working (after trying different USB cables etc) could I return it for a full refund?

 

I had this compatibility issue with an Intona previously. While compatibility issues are usually very few and far between they do happen. There aren't any drivers to install for the ISO REGEN (right?) so there's only so much I could tweak to get it working. Again, assuming the PC to USB Dac direct connection is working 100% before inserting the ISO REGEN into the chain.

 

Cheers

 

Neither original USB REGEN nor ISO REGEN require any drivers to be installed.  They are seen as fully USB-spec compliant hubs.

 

I have complete confidence that the ISO REGEN will work between your PC and DAC.  After all, we have just under 4,000 USB REGENs in the field and 98% of users have no problems.  (Some DACs can be a little finicky about power on connection and Linux-based devices don't have a fully functional Udev so hot swapping of USB devices does not work--boot up with connection in place is needed.)

 

As for refunds:  Not only can you (or anyone) return an UpTone product for a full refund if you can't get it to work (within 30 days, less shipping), we want people to return it if they are not completely thrilled. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

 

Neither original USB REGEN nor ISO REGEN require any drivers to be installed.  They are seen as fully USB-spec compliant hubs.

 

I have complete confidence that the ISO REGEN will work between your PC and DAC.  After all, we have just under 4,000 USB REGENs in the field and 98% of users have no problems.  (Some DACs can be a little finicky about power on connection and Linux-based devices don't have a fully functional Udev so hot swapping of USB devices does not work--boot up with connection in place is needed.)

 

As for refunds:  Not only can you (or anyone) return an UpTone product for a full refund if you can't get it to work (within 30 days, less shipping), we want people to return it if they are not completely thrilled. :)

 

 

Brilliant stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to a microRendu + LPS-1 + Curious Mojo Link > Chord Mojo > Sennheiser HD800S  (but wishing I could have a direct PC to Dac connection so not limited to Roon/DLNA/Shairport) and I'm gobsmacked at how this can possibly get better while keeping a simple setup/chain... but I guess not long to go until we find out :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience with the PS Audio LanRover has been quite good. But the LanRover alone is not adequate to push the SQ to the next level. It did offer a refinement to the SQ after some tweats.  After several major tweaks in my system, I have now come to this stage that I think the SQ is the best I can get without another component upgrade. So I am looking forward to the ISO Regen. If it can better what I am getting now, I will definitely buy it. Just hope it will not put a hole in my pocket :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zorro said:

My experience with the PS Audio LanRover has been quite good. But the LanRover alone is not adequate to push the SQ to the next level. It did offer a refinement to the SQ after some tweats.  After several major tweaks in my system, I have now come to this stage that I think the SQ is the best I can get without another component upgrade. So I am looking forward to the ISO Regen. If it can better what I am getting now, I will definitely buy it. Just hope it will not put a hole in my pocket :D

 

Very nice, yes it's a great product. Lots of variables in all of our systems that give us slightly different experiences. I'm also hoping to not get a hole in the pocket ! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hoping that I can get rid of my Singxer F-1 and plug the ISO Regen straight into my Yggdrasil using the USPCB.  I don't see how I could give it a better USB signal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, I have a question about the USPCB and IsoRegen VBUS.  I intend to use the IsoRegen and USPCB right before my Singxer SU-1 DDC.  The SU-1 requires VBUS in addition to 5V for operation.  Right now, I am using a split USB cable to inject VBUS from either my LPS or 5V battery.  

 

1.  Is the VBUS coming from the IsoRegen of sufficient quality so that I can just use that for the SU-1 instead of supplying it separately?

2.  My original intent was to purchase a short USB cable from Curious and have them add a separate VBUS cable with appropriate 2.1mm female connector so I can provide VBUS.  Will the USPCB be theoretically superior to the Curious cable?


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Guys, I have a question about the USPCB and IsoRegen VBUS.  I intend to use the IsoRegen and USPCB right before my Singxer SU-1 DDC.  The SU-1 requires VBUS in addition to 5V for operation.  Right now, I am using a split USB cable to inject VBUS from either my LPS or 5V battery.  

 

1.  Is the VBUS coming from the IsoRegen of sufficient quality so that I can just use that for the SU-1 instead of supplying it separately?

 

The VBUS output from the REGENs (both the original USB REGEN and the forthcoming ISO REGEN) is extremely good as it regulated by the venerable TI TPS7A4700 1-amp ultra-low-noise LDO regulator (4.17uV RMS noise from 10Hz-100kHz, and PSRR of 82dB @100Hz).  That is likely equal to or better than whatever outboard PS you are using for 5VBUS injection now.

 

32 minutes ago, tboooe said:

2.  My original intent was to purchase a short USB cable from Curious and have them add a separate VBUS cable with appropriate 2.1mm female connector so I can provide VBUS.  Will the USPCB be theoretically superior to the Curious cable?

 

Well the USPCB is meant to beat any cable--in that it is not a cable--it's an impedance controlled, shielded circuit board.

But if you are using the I2S output of the SU-1, then you will likely have to use a cable as the USB jack and HDMI jacks are close to one another.  I have an SU-1 and with my present chunky HDMI cable end, I have to use the 20cm Curious REGEN Link cable.  Maybe the HDMI plug of the Wireworld Chroma7 arriving today will be more svelte.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome thank you Alex.  So I dont need to futz around with a split cable anymore!  

 

Please let me know if the USPCB will fit when using the I2S output from the SU-1 when you get your new HDMI cable.  


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superdad said:

But if you are using the I2S output of the SU-1, then you will likely have to use a cable as the USB jack and HDMI jacks are close to one another.  I have an SU-1 and with my present chunky HDMI cable end, I have to use the 20cm Curious REGEN Link cable.  Maybe the HDMI plug of the Wireworld Chroma7 arriving today will be more svelte.

 

Dang FatHead HDMI cables are ruining The Plan!  Sounds like we need someone to build a .3m skinny HDMI headed cable so I can use some USPCB!


Sparky SBC/USBridge (HDPlex) –> Uptone ISO Regen(Uptone LPS-1) -> Singxer SU-1(Uptone LPS-1)/Holo Audio Spring –> Cary Audio SLP-05 –> Electrocompaniet AW180 Mono Blocks –> Martin Logan Summit X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...