IGNORED

Iso regen

On 3/20/2017 at 1:54 AM, Superdad said:

I like to give our products short names that are easy to remember and to type.  USPCB seems easy.  It is a concatenation of USB and PCB (meaning Printed Circuit Board).  Rolls off the tongue well I think.

...not to forget USP

Ahem

One task of my daily routine: refresh Uptone's website page from time to time to check whether ISO REGEN pre-order page is online. :D

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

On 16/03/2017 at 8:27 PM, Em2016 said:

Great question that a lot of people would be asking (looking for best bang for buck). But it seems like the ISO REGEN needs either an LPS-1 or a linear power supply (for the leakage currents reasons). Certainly the upgrades can be done in steps though but the ultimate end result is LPS-1 and ISO Regen for sure. Just depends how quickly each person decides to get there, depending on each budget at the time.

If I were you (given your current setup) I'd actually start with the LPS-1, replacing the SMPS and when funds allow later add an ISO Regen. Only one opinion though. Certainly no hard and fast rules with this game :-)

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Sound advice my friend! 

Order placed for an LPS-1 

Just to let everyone know, the area where Alex lives was hit by a big storm a couple days ago which knocked out the major communications hub in the area. As of last night he had phone service restored but not internet.

He has not been ignoring people, he just could not get on the internet. It still be some time before he can get back online to answer questions.

John S.

hope communications are all that was affected :/

best wishes to Alex and everyone around there :)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

On 3/13/2017 at 10:28 AM, Superdad said:

But if your DAC needs VBUS power, then you have to feed our REGENs (both models) at least 6V since the regulator for VBUS needs to be able to drop some to regulate to 5V.

Perhaps a dumb question...I am using an SU-1 that I want to power with 5v from the LPS-1.  Ideally I could use the LPS-1 to also power the Iso Regen at 5v.  However, the SU-1 needs vbus power as well.  If I use the LPS-1 to provide the vbus power via my split usb cable, can I then power the Iso Regen (and SU-1) with 5v instead of 6v?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

13 hours ago, tboooe said:

Perhaps a dumb question...I am using an SU-1 that I want to power with 5v from the LPS-1.  Ideally I could use the LPS-1 to also power the Iso Regen at 5v.  However, the SU-1 needs vbus power as well.  If I use the LPS-1 to provide the vbus power via my split usb cable, can I then power the Iso Regen (and SU-1) with 5v instead of 6v?

Could you please give a little more detail on the system you are trying to put together? I assume you have some sort of source that outputs USB, then you want to go through an ISO REGEN, then to an SU-1?

I'm not familiar with the details of the SU-1, you mention it needs VBUS but also needs external power, correct? If so it sounds like you will be having double isolation, which will be bypassed if you feed both from the same LPS-1.

If the VBUS from the ISO REGEN is driving ANYTHING, then the voltage powering it must be higher than 5V. If you use a power injector to feed the load then you could theoretically get away with the same 5V driving the ISO REGEN and the injector.

John S.

15 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Could you please give a little more detail on the system you are trying to put together? I assume you have some sort of source that outputs USB, then you want to go through an ISO REGEN, then to an SU-1?

I'm not familiar with the details of the SU-1, you mention it needs VBUS but also needs external power, correct? If so it sounds like you will be having double isolation, which will be bypassed if you feed both from the same LPS-1.

If the VBUS from the ISO REGEN is driving ANYTHING, then the voltage powering it must be higher than 5V. If you use a power injector to feed the load then you could theoretically get away with the same 5V driving the ISO REGEN and the injector.

John S.

Thank you John.  Right now, my system is PC >> SU-1 >> DAC.  I want my system to be PC >> ISO Regen >> SU-1 >> DAC

The SU-1 needs VBUS as well as external 5v.  Right now I am powering both the SU-1  and providing VBUS to it from a 5v battery.

I understand that if the ISO Regen is driving the SU-1 it will need higher than 5v which is why I was thinking if I use the LPS-1 to provide the VBUS then I could use it to also power the ISO Regen and SU-1 at 5v instead of 6v.  

I hope that makes sense.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I wanted to power the SU-1 and ISO Regen using a single LPS-1 as well. But, the SU-1, according to Singxer, must receive 5vdc only. Any more and it would be damaged. The SU-1 uses the USB VBUS power so the ISO Regen would need more than 5vdc.

So, a single LPS-1 is not going to work. I am not inclined to buy a second LPS-1. So, I am inclined to use a Mean Well SMPS to power the ISO Regen and a Mean Well SMPS to power the LPS-1 powering the SU-1.

I decided to hold off buying the SU-1 and to continue to use the Singxer F-1 I have instead. I will use the LPS-1 I have to power the ISO Regen when I get it.

13 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I wanted to power the SU-1 and ISO Regen using a single LPS-1 as well. But, the SU-1, according to Singxer, must receive 5vdc only. Any more and it would be damaged. The SU-1 uses the USB VBUS power so the ISO Regen would need more than 5vdc.

So, a single LPS-1 is not going to work. I am not inclined to buy a second LPS-1. So, I am inclined to use a Mean Well SMPS to power the ISO Regen and a Mean Well SMPS to power the LPS-1 powering the SU-1.

I decided to hold off buying the SU-1 and to continue to use the Singxer F-1 I have instead. I will use the LPS-1 I have to power the ISO Regen when I get it.

Exactly.  Which is why I am asking if I can supply VBUS from the LPS-1 via a split USB cable.  This would bypass the ISO Regen supplying the VBUS.  I would use 3 way splitter from the LPS-1 and power the SU-1, ISO Regen, and VBUS all at 5V.

Sounds like from John's response this would work in theory. 

Other components:

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

So why not just set LPS-1 to 7 VDC, and insert a resistor that drop the voltage to 5 on the SU-1. You are in any case modifying your SU-1, right ?

(You bypass the original SU-1 PS and use the LPS-1, or have I misunderstood how the SU-1 works)

You want the resistance as high as possible. I'm sure John can confirm this and suggest a value.

I suppose you already has verified powver consumption? (Thought I'm not sure if the ISO regen numbers has been released.)

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

So why not just set LPS-1 to 7 VDC, and insert a resistor that drop the voltage to 5 on the SU-1. You are in any case modifying your SU-1, right ?

(You bypass the original SU-1 PS and use the LPS-1, or have I misunderstood how the SU-1 works)

You want the resistance as high as possible. I'm sure John can confirm this and suggest a value.

I suppose you already has verified powver consumption? (Thought I'm not sure if the ISO regen numbers has been released.)

Using a resistor to drop voltage from 7V to 5V is not recommended.  The voltage will change depending on device current draw (per Ohm's law).  Even using 3 diodes in series to realize a ~2V drop will not be all that good.

There should be no need to mess with 7V.  Set the LPS-1 to 5V to power the ISO REGEN, do VBus injection via USB cable into the SU-1 (to power the XMOS receiver module on upstream side of the moat) and finally the SU-1 downstream logic via a modification to bypass the internal linear PSU and run in 5V via a DC jack.  If you want to do this then you need a 3-way DC splitter cable with three 5.5/2.1 DC plugs wired in parallel.  Like John said, this scheme will bypass much of the isolation that ISO REGEN and SU-1 offer with their designs.

A more sensible power solution would involve at least two supplies, one for ISO REGEN, another for SU-1 (2 rails).  Perhaps a battery can be used to power the ISO REGEN.  The ultimate configuration would involve three LPS-1 supplies, one for each rail, to take full advantage of the double isolation.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Yes, everything is fine thanks.  Just finishing up a lot of details for the launch. Some parts are in short stock at the regular distributors and take time to track down.

Great to hear that you are fine.  We'll wait patiently.

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

It is all the other massive (and expensive) enhancements

:S

:D

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I'd be lying if I was to say I wasn't excited to hear more.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

8 minutes ago, SuperRu said:

I'd be lying if I was to say I wasn't excited to hear more.

I promise you will.  Very soon.  I'll start a new thread and post pics and details.  Will announce the new thread in this one so that subscribers don't miss it.  

(Oh wait, on the new CA forum its "Content", "Topics", and "Followers", not Posts, Threads, and Subscribers. :P)

23 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I promise you will.  Very soon.  I'll start a new thread and post pics and details.  Will announce the new thread in this one so that subscribers don't miss it.  

(Oh wait, on the new CA forum its "Content", "Topics", and "Followers", not Posts, Threads, and Subscribers. :P)

Yeah Alex, get with the program!

I'm hoping you notify current customers by email too?

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I'm hoping you notify current customers by email too?

Absolutely!  Everyone who has ever bought an UpTone product directly from us--and anyone who put their e-mail address in the "Newsletter" signup box in the lower-right of our homepage--will receive a notice at least the night before the AddToCart goes live on the (yet-to-be-created) ISO REGEN product/order page.