IGNORED

Iso regen

Great question that a lot of people would be asking (looking for best bang for buck). But it seems like the ISO REGEN needs either an LPS-1 or a linear power supply (for the leakage currents reasons). Certainly the upgrades can be done in steps though but the ultimate end result is LPS-1 and ISO Regen for sure. Just depends how quickly each person decides to get there, depending on each budget at the time.

If I were you (given your current setup) I'd actually start with the LPS-1, replacing the SMPS and when funds allow later add an ISO Regen. Only one opinion though. Certainly no hard and fast rules with this game :-)

Except the LPS-1 is energized by an SMPS. Won't this SMPS contaminate the mains? Yes, you will get clean power into and out of the ISO Regen which is very important. But what about the devices getting power form the same AC circuit?

My plan is to have everything in the audio system on one AC circuit and everything in the computer system, including the ISO Regen, on another circuit. I don't want the SMPS for the LPS-1 creating issues for the AC feeding the audio equipment.

Another great question but there is an entire thread about the energizing plugpack for the LPS-1. The charging bank of ultracaps is completely isolated from the discharging so you can be happy forever using the meanwell SMPS that Alex includes with the LPS-1. Feel free to read that entire thread but I think I just saved you a lot of reading :-)

Re-read what I wrote. I am not worried about the SMPS energizing the LPS-1 contaminating the DC power the LPS-1 generates. I have concerns about the SMPS contaminating the AC mains and causing issues for other devices using that AC power.

I wanted to power the SU-1 and ISO Regen using a single LPS-1 as well. But, the SU-1, according to Singxer, must receive 5vdc only. Any more and it would be damaged. The SU-1 uses the USB VBUS power so the ISO Regen would need more than 5vdc.

So, a single LPS-1 is not going to work. I am not inclined to buy a second LPS-1. So, I am inclined to use a Mean Well SMPS to power the ISO Regen and a Mean Well SMPS to power the LPS-1 powering the SU-1.

I decided to hold off buying the SU-1 and to continue to use the Singxer F-1 I have instead. I will use the LPS-1 I have to power the ISO Regen when I get it.

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Somebody who may have listened to the ISO REGEN hinted that I may need to replace my microRendu at my desktop setup... i.e. they hinted it's that good...

I am hoping that hint is true. Getting complete isolation from the PC side of the USB bus AND massive  improvements in USB power and signal on the DDC/DAC side of the USB bus would make it an near perfect solution for me.

I have also been looking at the Icron ethernet USB extender as a way to completely isolate the computer system from the audio system. But the primary use of the Icron would be extend the USB from my home office to my Library where my 2 channel system will soon be. This would make it so I would not have to move my MacBook Pro between rooms.

3 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

So is actually your present configuration with the F1 better than USB cable direct to your USB DAC (the Yggdrasil) ?

I suppose the answer is yes, but I'm wonder what is then the possible logical explanation behind.  Anyone?

My premise is that the the DDC, the F-1, handles the USB crap (power, ground, clock issues) better than the DAC does. The DDC has a great clock and isolates the DAC from the USB bus/PC nicely.

7 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

There seem to be two aspects of USB interface that affect SQ, signal integrity and leakage loops. A microRendu and LPS-1 block leakage loops, so that aspect of the ISO REGEN will not add improvement, BUT the SI of the ISO REGEN is better than the microRendu.

So there is a fairly good probability that if you use separate LPS-1s to power both you will have improved SQ. Other configurations are not so sure. For example you could power the microRendu by some other supply and use the LPS-1 on the ISO REGEN, or use the same LPS-1 for both (using a Y cable on the output of the LPS-1). These MAY provide better SQ or not, it is very hard to tell. Neither Alex nor me have tried all possible combinations and even if we had, there is no guarantee it would behave the same in your system.

John S

John,

Please check your PMs.

Thanks!

On 4/9/2017 at 10:16 PM, Superdad said:

Well IN the test I did tonight with a single LPS-1 powering both the microRendu and the ISO REGEN,  the ISO REGEN was supplying VBUS power to a Singxer SU-1.  And while I know the F-1 is slightly different in that it is 100% bus-powered, the USB 2.0 spec does not allow for more that 500mA bus draw and only full on bus-only DAC/headphone amps ever approach near that.  

So I am rather confident that the combo would work fine for you too.

i do encourage everyone to get the handy Drok USB VBUS meter for checking devices: https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Capacitance/dp/B00J3JSEG6/

(I like the LED version for $10.47; I use it all the time.)

Okay, the Singxer F-1 had the following numbers from the DROK:

5.2 vdc

160 mA

0.83 w

Based on that, I would think I could use one LPS-1 to power both the micorRendu and ISO Regen, right?