IGNORED

Iso regen

Hi Alex @Superdad

Can you please share something on this. Anything... technical features? USB 3.0 support? Externally powered or no need? Release date? Price? Something lol

I'm in desperate need of a USB galvanic isolation device for my desktop setup.

Cheers ! :-)

I know everyone is anxious (me and John most of all!) and wanting more info. It has been a busy, stressful week and I just could not get to the write up. There is too much to describe and explain to put it out piecemeal.

It is going to be great and will be every bit of a sonic leap as anything we have done before (to be honest, this thing leaves the USB REGEN--and every other competitive device I have on hand--in the dust).

And the price will be terrific. More than USB REGEN (the bill of materials is a lot higher!), but much less than some have imagined. We expect to sell a boatload. And I am planning a nice "UpTone loyalty rebate"--related to prior USB REGEN and LPS-1 buyers...

So please be patient just a little longer. Another 100+ LPS-1 units are being prepared for on-time shipment Tuesday, and we are also in the middle of another sold-out 14 unit JS-2 run for March 21st shipment. Success is great, but someone needs to send in the clones to help... ;)

Thanks everyone!

--Alex C.

Yes, we have known it was coming for a while. You will note how challenging iFi said it was. I am sure they were not kidding. Here's the story:

It was November 2015 when I first contacted Silanna Semiconductor--presently the ONLY single-chip high-speed USB galvanic isolator device--for samples to incorporate into a greatly enhanced REGEN that we had already begun work on.

It is a good chip, but it is fussy to work with and Silanna offers virtually zero documentation. We were the first audio company to approach them and the first to propose pairing their chip with a USB hub chip for proper USB signal generation. In fact, their USA sales engineer in charge of this chip (they are a small firm) got pretty excited about our proposed use of it--and I think he began pitching their chip as a combo to a hub chip to other manufacturers in this space.

We quickly discovered how much noise and jitter their chip adds (so the handful of isolators--4 that I know of, 2 of which I have here--which use the Silanna by itself, CoolGear, AllDAQ, etc., sound terrible), and also how much trouble it can have (for technical reasons I won't get into) with isochronous, async USB audio. And when you start doing true galvanic isolation, funny things happen with EMI, static, and the paths for leakage.

Anyway, I am not ready to discuss today all the fabulous technical features of the ISO REGEN, and unless/until iFi reveals actual details about their clocking, voltage regulation, etc., nobody can compare them even on paper.

Yet I do know for a fact that the iGalvanic is using the very same expensive Silanna ICE08USB chip as we are in the ISO REGEN.

Frankly, the galvanic isolation is nice (especially when powered by an UltraCap LPS-1), but the rest of the tremendous enhancements we made to the rest of the REGEN (Crystek CCHD-575 clock, USB3.0 hub chip with the best signal integrity John has ever measured, and five of the world's ultra-lowest noise packaged linear regulators--the LT3042) far exceed the SQ benefit brought by the isolator. There were more than a few frustrating times when John and I considered ditching the Silanna and just coming out with an uber-REGEN instead of an ISO REGEN. Such could have been on the market a year ago!

But we've stuck with it. Here's a pic of me holding the first $5K worth of Silanna isolator chips. We'd best start shipping ISO REGENs soon because I'm under contract to take another $11K of the darn things by June!

Silanna chip supply1.jpg

Speculation: the ifigalvanic works on USB3. USB audio only needs USB2, if USB3 stack doesn't support Usb audio properly, then the ifigalvanic won't help, it's a driver problem for USB3.

The details are very slim on the ifigalvanic on the power to drive the thing. If the device is bus powered, then the same limitations to provide power for DACs is going to run short (for some).

Based on these two speculative points, there's not much point in looking at the ifigalvanic until the detail emerges otherwise.

The Iso Regen needs external power more than the USB bus can supply, OK, then use the LPS-1 technology to do so and have enough in reserve for the thirsty power DACs.

That already solves many problems.

Hi Gary:

Well I won't speculate too much on how iFi might or might not be using any USB3.0 Superspeed mode (I don't understand the point of that with their other devices either since I know of no DAC that accepts audio at Superspeed).

I will say that for ISO REGEN we tested a number of USB 3.0 hub chips and chose the one we liked best--based on several factors. (It is a different brand than iFi has been using in their other USB 3.0 hub products.) But we turn all the Superspeed stuff off--sounds much better that way!

As for the rest of your speculation on powering, etc, you are incorrect--at least in regards to how the ISO REGEN uses and handles power. I have to go pick up my son for school now, so I'll have to get into this later.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

P.S. What's with the Ground Lift switch on the iGalvanic? Probably to defeat the isolation for when it causes problems. We have been struggling for a couple of months to avoid having to offer that bail-out "feature" ourselves. That is still up in the air. ;)

Any benefit to those of us who already own LPS-1 and microRendu?

Hi Danny:

Actually yes, but not because of the galvanic isolation--which you already have with the mR and LPS-1.

The enhancements to the REGEN (which sonically are more significant that the galvanic isolation which took a frustratingly long time to make work right) are what benefit the microRendu--and every other device.

I've been listening to my microRendu feeding the ISO REGEN (version of the board with and without the Silanna isolator chip) for a while now, and it sounds fantastic.

The combination of the great signal integrity USB 3.0 hub chip we chose (which lmitche and Jud separately picked blind from very early beta units last summer), the ultra-low-phase noise Crystek 575 clock, the e beefing up and separating of the power networks, and the 5(!) separate ultra-ultra-low-noise LT3042 regulators--those are the things that really contribute to the leap ahead of the ISO REGEN.

And some of the above--especially the clock--are why ISO REGEN is of benefit to even the hub-chipped "regen" output of the microRendu.

Best,

--Alex C.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Does it mean that the IR doesn't take external PS? Or another LPS-1 at 3V may drive the IR as well(I know that it should be 3.3V from your post)

While I really need to stop and take the time to right a proper announcement of ISO REGEN--detailing its technical features, its functional usage, some comparison to others so "place in market" is understood, pricing, etc.--I just can not just at this moment (unless 125 people don't care about having their UltraCap LPS-1s shipped on time tomorrow ;)).

Since so many power supply crazed 'philes here (I love you all) are asking questions, here is the deal for ISO REGEN powering:

Because the ISO REGEN is providing true galvanic isolation--of data, grounds, and power--it requires separate power for the "dirty," upstream side of the isolator chip (the ISO REGEN's "Input"), and separate power for the isolated, downstream side.

That is why the ISO REGEN requires both USB VBUS power AND an external power supply. Other, non audio firms using the Silanna chip--by itself (yuck!)--just VBUS power and use a switching regulator across the "moat." We are doing things the right way.

The upstream side contains pretty much nothing besides the USB B jack, some VBUS signaling stuff, and one ultra-low noise regulator to turn required incoming 5VBUS (from the USB cable) into 3.3V for the upstream side of the Silanna isolator.

The downstream side (the other side of the "moat" across which the isolator chip sits) is where all the sonic magic happens. And there are 5 voltage regulators on that side, to separately power:

the downstream side of the isolator (1 reg);

the selected USB3.0 hub chip (with best signal integrity John has ever measured; 2 regs for that);

the Crystek 575 ultra-low-phase-noise clock (1 reg);

the big 1-amp regulator to provide clean 5VBUS to the USB output cable for those DACs that need it.

With the exception of the VUBUS output regulator (the ultra-low-noise TI TPS7A4700 as used throughout both the original USB REGEN and in the LPS-1), all the other regulators in the ISO REGEN are the ultra-ultra-low-noise (0.8uV RMS to 100kHz!) Linear Tech LT3042.

Thus it should be clear that the DC power jack of the ISO REGEN is for powering all the various downstream circuits. And using a really good supply for it pays off nicely. Of course the also isolated--leakage-current-blocking UltraCap LPS-1 is ideal for it (and in testing lately I think it makes a bigger difference for the ISO REGEN than for the USB REGEN--but that could just be because the ISO REGEN reveals so much more of the music--it is staggering.)

As for the input voltages the ISO REGEN can run from (coming in on the DC jack), the story is much the same as it is with the USB REGEN (read the USB REGEN's power FAQ). If you DAC does not draw ANY VBUS power from the REGEN, then input power can range from 5V to as high as 9V, as the devices running from the regulators at 3.3V are drawing very little, and at such low currents even the drop from 9V to 3.3V won't generate a lot of heat (though I will check with John about dissipation on the very small LT3042s).

But if your DAC needs VBUS power, then you have to feed our REGENs (both models) at least 6V since the regulator for VBUS needs to be able to drop some to regulate to 5V.

As far as the VBUS input to the ISO REGEN--just to run the regulator for the upstream side of the isolator--I am sure there will be some crazies here trying out VBUS injection to give it cleaner 5V. But that won't result in any sonic improvement because that mis-understands why VBUS-injection schemes sometimes improve things in the first place. I won't go through the litany of it now. Remember, isolation--from VBUS noise and leakage--comes as part of the ISO REGEN's design.

The whole point of the ISO REGEN--and why we persevered a whole extra year (we were ready with all the other REGEN enhancements back in March 2016)--is to give everyone a single tiny box to take care of everything in their USB path. No more crazy-daisy USB chains! One REGEN to rule them all!

[Think I'd best stop here. Nobody wants to read my cheesy marketing slogans. That's really not my thing. ;)]

Best,

--Alex C.

.......and when do you start taking orders ?

As with all our past product launches, we will not take a single order until we can quote an accurate ship date. Too many companies will happily take your money with a "soft" ship date which then gets missed.

We are quite close. But we are not ready to announce the price or ship date just yet.

As before, everyone on our mailing list (which includes everyone who has ever bought from us or entered their e-mail at the bottom of our home page) will receive a pre-order announcement e-mail a day or two before the product web page "AddToCart" button goes live. Then, at 9:00 a.m. (California time) of the date indicated in the e-mail (and publicly on these forums the day before), the "AddToCart" button will appear on the page--and the first couple hundred units will likely be sold in less than an hour. (For the LPS-1, the first 120 sold in the first 5 minutes!)

Thanks everyone for your patience. I promise ISO REGEN will be worth the wait!

--Alex C.

Great! Can I use an y cable to power both the microRendu and the IR at the same time?

Sure. Read post #32 just above. I posted a photo of exactly that! http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/iso-regen-31769/index2.html#post645281

Will you provide a quality y cable in your IR package?

No, I think doing so would really confuse people.

Just pick one up off Amazon. One like this if your target devices are close together: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q8IKRE

Or one like this if what you want to power is far apart:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9JATN0

I have a dumb question (no, it's not my first). Why is your first link one female and two males, but your second link is one male and two females? I personally prefer the latter configuration :)

As stated, if one needs to feed devices that are far apart, then use the second one (plugged into the PS) and then 2 DC cables. If the devices to be powered can be close together (not further that about the 8 inch spread of the 'Y'), then use the first one with 1 DC cable running back to the PS.

Alex,

So, using one LPS-1 to power both sides of the ISO-R's "moat" is OK, from a leakage loop perspective? Since the mR is on the "dirty" side?

I can see why, since the LPS-1 is isolated from the AC mains ground, but just confirming.

Well yes. First off, there is no AC leakage current coming from the LPS-1. And secondly, powering both a microRendu (already Ethernet isolated) and the ISO REGEN--they form their own system together.

So while if you power both devices with a single LPS-1 you do lose the galvanic isolation--between the output of the mR and the output of the ISO REGEN--they are still isolated from the rest of the system. As explained earlier, the benefit of an ISO REGEN to microRendu users (really not our main target market) comes from all the rest of the enhancements to the REGEN (select 3.0 hub chip, Crystek 575 clock, etc.).

I'd really prefer that this thread not turn into a discussion of power supplies and microRendus... ;)

Hi Alex,

I know these but I want an Y-cable of high quality for SQ.

Alright, let's break this down.

To me high quality DC cable means decent gauge wire. Sure I enjoy silver-plated, Teflon-insulated wire for interconnects and speaker cables, but for DC I think what matters most is having a large gauge and a shield.

Twisted pairs--or better yet, star-quad--are great for keeping inductance low and in the case of star-quad, keeping the shield at an even distance. In fact, a heavy gauge, shielded, star-quad cable is what we ship with our big 5-7 amp JS-2. Four 18awg conductors--paired off makes for two 15awg conductors--plus the shield tied at one end. The end that does not have the shield tied looks like this:

UpTone Oyaide Belden.jpg

Now those Oyaide plugs are the only DC barrels in the world that will take our big wire (and Oyaide has recently made them unusably smaller so I'm about to order 1,000 piece$ to get them to make me more of the original style as seen above).

Making these cables is hard enough as it is. I used to spend 20+ hours a month hunched over the bench making batches of them until I got smart and started paying an aerospace cable assembly firm to do it for me (they charge a lot but it's worth its to have my time back).

So custom "audiophile" DC 'Y' cables from UpTone? Not going to happen anytime soon.

The 27-inch, 16awg coax DC cable we ship with the LPS-1 is something I have custom made in China--1,000 at a time. And they are not happy about having to use thick 16awg wire. There certainly is no way they could mold two pieces of 16awg into one DC jack. I'm holding in my hand one of the Amazon 'Y' cables--the one with two males and one female. I think the 6 inches before the 'Y' split is 16awg coax, and the two males of the 'Y' look like they are on 6 inches of 18awg.

Both 16awg and 18awg are total overkill for a 1.1A power supply (which in the application being discussed will not even be asked for 0.75A)--especially in this very short length.

So if audiophile obsession drives someone to find or make a fancy, hand-made silver 'Y' cable, then go for it. Or maybe, as with the cottage industry in ultra-short USB cable "links" that cropped up around the success of the REGEN, some other company will start offering $130 DC 'Y' cables....

:)

Alex,

I'm going to be politically incorrect, and ask you this outright.

I currently use an Intona + RUR (powered by LPS-1) combo. If I were to replace with an ISO-Regen (powered by LPS-1), would I be a happy camper?

Note: I do NOT use an mR. I currently have the Aries Mini, but assume I'll be driving with an sMS-200 (powered by another LPS-1).

Sorry, I would prefer to get the product out into peoples' systems and let their reactions do the talking. ;)

And I also must refrain from answering the dozens of questions coming up every day. I can answer questions all day long or work on getting the product out there. Can't do both. Plus my e-mail box is now overflowing again! Argh...

Thanks,

ALEX

Lionel,

Alex was referring to a prototype of the ISO-REGEN built without the isolation chip. This was used for testing purposes to compare against prototypes with the chip installed. This allowed Alex to both hear the benefits of the isolation chip, and to hear the improvements over the legacy REGEN sans the isolation and was generally useful for debugging the product.

AFAIK there is only one version of the ISO-REGEN that will come to market. It will deliver at least two benefits 1) isolation which stops leakage currents and 2) improved REGEN functionality all in one box.

Larry is correct. Just one version. But you would not believe how many versions of the board we did in testing. Comparing USB 2.0 and 3.0 hub chips, comparing the standard USB REGEN's low-jitter clock to the $10 Crystek 575, and then endless variations and hacks to get USB connection and handshake right with most computers and DACs. Did I mention there are 86 parts on the tiny board? ;)

Trust me, doing the dual-power thing was NOT the easy path to take! But powering the downstream "clean" side with switching-derived bus power was never a compromise we would consider.

Some of this is going over my head, but in simple terms - if I have a microRendu powered by a LPS1, are there any expected benefits from putting an ISORegen downstream from this? And if so, can one LPS1 with a split lead power both?

Yes and yes. See this post for the why to your first question:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/iso-regen-31769/#post644717

And this post for a picture demonstration answer to the second question:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/iso-regen-31769/index2.html#post645281

As I've indicated, microRendu users are really not our primary market target with the ISO REGEN, but some of you folks really enjoy taking things to the n'th degree, and to my ears in my system, the new piece really does enhance the mR--for reasons explained in the first linked post above.

Re-read what I wrote. I am not worried about the SMPS energizing the LPS-1 contaminating the DC power the LPS-1 generates. I have concerns about the SMPS contaminating the AC mains and causing issues for other devices using that AC power.

And of course there is the very specific thread on the topic, the place where I occasionally shunt the SMPS-worried posts to:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/discussions-alternate-energizing-charging-ps-units-use-ultracap-linear-power-supply-1-not-any-will-make-any-difference-output-30026/

:)

... and I still have no doubts about where my money will rather go ;)

Thanks Paolo. :)

Alex, iFi has provided some information about their Ground Link in post #17 ...

Yes, it is interesting that iFi is including a 3-position ground switch on the iGalvanic (at least one position of which will partially defeat the isolation).

Once one deciphers their heavy doses of marketing-speak (I mean their device, just like the ISO REGEN is the Silanna chip, a hub chip, a clock, and some power supply stuff), you can see at the end they likely faced similar problems we did, which is that some DACs' USB inputs are really fussy when you isolate them.

Funny thing is, we've been using the iFi micro iDSD DAC as one of our "corner cases" for testing. It and other entirely bus-powered DACs are the most problematic of all when you fully isolate them.

We have been trying to avoid including a switch on the ISO REGEN (its in the same size case as original USB REGEN so it can still be mounted right at the input of the DAC for best signal integrity/impedance match and to avoid the need for an extra cable), but it may get a tiny switch after all.

----------

And hey, because it is Friday and the CA site is going down tomorrow for its makeover, here is a tidbit we have been holding back for many months. It is a truly solid USB A>B adapter--made with a PCB and perfectly impedance-matched (John calculated in the connector pin gauges when laying out the trace widths, etc. of the board). There is even a switch to disconnect VBUS (for DACs that don't need any; the transistor you see is the switch--a tiny dip switch can't handle the VBUS current).

And we will offer a version where the "B" plug is turned 90-degrees--for folks who have trouble fitting their REGEN or microRendu to their DAC with a standard orientation.

Pricing is not decided yet (in truth I have not yet sent it for bid though John gave me the files months ago). But we plan to offer it as an add-on on the ISO REGEN order page--as well as selling it separately.

John and I have both been using the prototypes for a while now. They sound great! Much better than any other cable we have or the stock Chinese "solid" (with wires squished inside) adapter that has always shipped with the REGEN or microRendu.

So I present to you the USPCB!

USPCB proto.jpg

On 3/18/2017 at 1:31 AM, R1200CL said:

I'm a bit confused.

Maybe it's because Superdad post contains two totally different subjects ? Or is he talking about the same thing and how Uptone has solved the same problem iFi has ?

We solve our different issues in different ways.  And we discuss our designs in different ways.  We prefer to be up front about what our products do and how they do it. (Within limits of prudence regarding intellectual property--and in the time frame that is most strategic for us.  Why disclose certain things now before either of the two similar products are out?)

Is the only purpose of the uspcb to have the option to isolate the Vbus power with a switch ?

(And being a A>B adapter)

No, the primary purpose of the USPCB is to be the only true "solid" adapter--based on a circuit board which we have 100% control of impedance and shielding.  The Chinese adapters have 4 scrunched up wires molded in between their plugs.

The switch for turning off VBUS power was something easy to include, so I figured why not?  It has no relation whatsoever to the isolation of the ISO REGEN or of the SQ of the adapter itself.  Just tossed in a feature that some people like to use.  Frankly, if one is using the adapter at the output of a REGEN into a DAC that does not use VBUS power, then I don't even see the need to switch VBUS off--as it is not being used!

If so why can't a simple Sbooster Vbus isolator serve the same purpose. (+ a USB cable A>B)

Aside from the gender of the SBooster VBUS isolator being female>male 'A' and not a 'B' for going into a DAC, I am certain that it too is made with scrunched up wires molded in between the plugs--just 3 wires instead of 4.

And what is the reason for not offering a Vbus switch integrated to the ISO regen.

Space on the board and the fact that it is not a particularly important feature.  Plus it will be on our new USPCB. :)

The uspcb is offering something more than just optimal remove the Vbus power and being a A>B converter, and if so, why is not this something integrated into the ISO regen?

Integrated in what way?  The only way to "integrate" it would be for the REGEN to have a male USB 'B' plug as its output.  But we the decision long ago to not do that because there are many folks who can't physically place the REGEN right at the input of their DAC.

Is my understanding correct, that the uspcb will not be offered with the first batch of 200 ISO regen boards ?

I do not know where you got such information.  Don't believe anything about our products or plans unless John or I state it. ;)

1 hour ago, greenleo said:

Alex,

What's the full name of the USPCB or what des that mean?

I like to give our products short names that are easy to remember and to type.  USPCB seems easy.  It is a concatenation of USB and PCB (meaning Printed Circuit Board).  Rolls off the tongue well I think.

1 hour ago, greenleo said:

I thought that the switch to switch VBUS power off was for DACs that don't need VBUS power so that the SQ will be better.  But your last sentence suggested something otherwise.  Would you mind to elaborate?

The entire "cutting off VBUS power" thing started as a very minor tweak to not have the 5 volts capacitively coupling to the data lines along the length of the USB cable (that's the same reason for those "split" USB cables).

So it really only makes sense to do it at the computer end--to keep the 5V off the cable--if someone desires such.  And that is why the SBooster VBUS isolator has male 'A' (into the computer) and female 'A' (to just plug a standard A>B cable into it.

But our USPCB adapter is male 'A' to male 'B'--for connection from the output of a REGEN (or microRendu) to the input of a DAC.  If a DAC does not use/require 5VBUS, then it is likely that pin 1 (the 5V pin) of its 'B' input jack is not connected to anything.  So turning off the VBUS right there at its input does nothing really.  So I don't know why we decided to put a switch on the adapter.  Maybe I'm just stupid. ;)

Now as far as cutting off VBUS before the ISO REGEN with some other cable or adapter, sorry, but unlike the USB REGEN (which itself ignores pin 1 at its input), the ISO REGEN requires 5VBUS to power the upstream side of its isolator chip.  No easy way around that.  Free lunch will not be served...

Ciao,

--Alex C.

P.S. I am starting to get used to the new CA forum system.  It's nice, and hey, I just noticed it got wider!  Yay!

Now if I could get used to not having to hit "return" twice to put to a space between paragraphs.

17 hours ago, spacexpert said:

Would anyone please have knowledge on the following?

I remember reading about someone using a Regen for an external hard drive hook up.

So...

If I had an sms-200 and a single LPS-1 UltraCap, and I wanted to add an external 3.5" hard drive to one of the USB ports on the sms-200.  Could I go with the following...

sms-200 (LPS-1) < ISO Regen (LPS-1) > HD Dock with 3.5 HD* (*12V Wall Wart)

So there would be no power draw from the sms-200, as the ISO Regen is LPS-1 powered on the output side (something that wouldn't be achievable with an Intona?) and the noisy hard drive is now galvanically isolated from the sms-200.

Any thoughts on the ISO Regen performing that duty? ...And does signal integrity still apply in this usage?

Good questions.

First off, if the USB drive you are hanging off the sMS-200 is externally powered, then even directly connected (without a REGEN) will not make it a problem for the LPS-1 to power the sMS-200.  What we advise against is hanging a bunch of bus-powered drives off an sMS-200 which is to be powered by an LPS-1.

Frankly, it probably is not sonically ideal to play from sMS-200/USB connected drives--better to put the drives on the network.

But yes, what you describe will work.  As for if you will get sonic improvement in doing so is anyone's guess at this point (though there are a bunch of REGEN users using them with hard drives/SSDs/thumb drives.  Some of that stuff is bit too far "into the weeds" for me.  We designed the REGEN(s) for improved signal integrity/impedance match into a DAC--that's where the payoff is greatest.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Finally USB (cable) done right ?✅

This is something I like to try together with my MicroRendu. 

Possible to indicate an expected price (range) ?

And estimated availability ?

No price until we receive assembly cost quotes.  

Expect to have it available simultaneous with the ISO REGEN launch--so that people can add it to their ISO REGEN (or USB REGEN) orders--with a drop down order option--on day one.  And yes, they will also be offered separately.