IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

If one were trying to update HQPlayer Embedded by copy-pasting a14 into a pkgbuild for a8, it would definitely fail on account of changes to the package contents from a9 on.

OK, thanks. Still don't know yaourt command. I would have thought it was same as the yaourt command for a8 (except a14). That's all I guess I meant.

I don't use Audiolinux but it's based on Arch Linux which meana that yaourt -S hqplayer-embedded should install whatever the latest version available on the AUR is. The package "provides" hqplayer-embedded, meaning it would simply overwrite the current version with a message it was doing so. What exactly was the process for installing a8?

I don't use Audiolinux but it's based on Arch Linux which meana that yaourt -S hqplayer-embedded should install whatever the latest version available on the AUR is. The package "provides" hqplayer-embedded, meaning it would simply overwrite the current version with a message it was doing so. What exactly was the process for installing a8?

Thanks. That command did it. Now to find my proper xml config and move forward. Thx

A14 does not have the stop-click issue. Thanks. I now have some extraneous warbly low level noises in the background and wondering if they are amp/preamp noise (could be tube, but prevalent at zero volume too) or some sort of network noise. It's always somethin'. Prolly not related to this topic.

Now there is a15 build available. Quite a bunch of fixes and improvements again. And one new feature; point your browser at port 8088 of the machine where hqplayerd is running to get to a status page where you can also change some active settings. Note! Those settings can be only changed when playback is in stopped state, in other cases any changes made will be ignored.

Web page is very simple and made such way that it scales for both desktop and even to display of iPhone 6.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I now have some extraneous warbly low level noises in the background and wondering if they are amp/preamp noise (could be tube, but prevalent at zero volume too) or some sort of network noise.

One other person reported this kind of behavior, but with HQPlayer Desktop. Tube gear too (Audio Research), I think he is also on this forum.

There is not enough information yet to say much about... I can think of some possible causes, but I don't want to go too far speculating anything.

OK, so...you AudioLinux experts :) how do I get A15? it is not (to my knowledge) in the AUR yet.

P.S. Maybe I shouldn't be so bleeding edge..

Sorry Ted, I am not familiar enough with ArchLinux to add much here but I think you will have to wait for Piero (sp?) to convert the Debian/Ubuntu package to one that is compatible with ArchLinux before you can install.

I am testing under Debian right now.

Now there is a15 build available. Quite a bunch of fixes and improvements again. And one new feature; point your browser at port 8088 of the machine where hqplayerd is running to get to a status page where you can also change some active settings. Note! Those settings can be only changed when playback is in stopped state, in other cases any changes made will be ignored.

Web page is very simple and made such way that it scales for both desktop and even to display of iPhone 6.

Ok, I installed the a15 no issues but couple of questions related to the web page.

Couple of observation with the web page and it is likely to change since this is the first attempt.

1) There is no way to change sample rate from Auto

2) If you change Mode to Auto you lose option to change filter/dither/sample rate.

3) I did not see option to change modulator settings when you select SDM for mode.

4) I am assuming that when Mode is SDM the filter setting is equal to oversampling settings.

5) The settings are real time settings and are not written out to hqplayerd.xml file under /etc/hqplayer directory or does it try to write the information to users home .hqplayer directory.

@ted_b I switched to Debian for that very reason. Too many papercuts out there on the bleeding edge ... Wondering which Arch packages might cause errors in HQPlayer or Roon. I imagine AudioLinux takes care of some of that uncertainty.

Anyways, totally possible to update to A15. I'm not sure if this will be enough to get you there, or even if it's worth doing other than to learn the process—the package is usually updated in a quite timely fashion. The gist of it would be:

• AUR (Arch Linux User Repository) page for hqplayer-embedded. (Same package maintained by Audio Linux)
  • Download snapshot and unzip to some local folder. `tar xvf hqplayer-embedded.tar.gz`
  • Edit PKGBUILD. In this case, 14 and 15 may be similar enough in structure that changing all the "14"s to "15"s will do it. Save and exit.
  • run `makepkg` to build the package. Alternatively, run `makepkg -i` to make and install.
  • If something happens to go wrong, likely no update will be made. At any rate, running yaourt -S hqplayer-embedded would take you back to 14.

As they say: no warranty is implied. Good luck!

Her's a silly newbie Linux question re: AudioLinux....

I run mine via generic but decent Cruzer Glide 32GB USB thumb drive (alternating boots with Win10 on my SSD). Is this $30 USB stick platform worthy of running such a high end HQPlayer environment, given that the rest of my server is i7 6700k, Nvidia GTX960 CUDA, etc etc? Am I better off at least copying AudioLinux to a partition on my SSD? I have worked hard to get HQPlayer to a clean and powerful environment, but the inexperienced in me says it seems weird that I am running my OS off a generic USB stick.

BTW, I would go Debian if it included the plug-n-play type of GUI that Audiolinux gives me, especially as a newbie to Linux.

Now there is a15 build available. Quite a bunch of fixes and improvements again. And one new feature; point your browser at port 8088 of the machine where hqplayerd is running to get to a status page where you can also change some active settings.

This is great, thank you. After an evening of listening, the only issue I've noticed with Roon is a tendency for playback to stop when using "Play Now" if something is already playing. I don't know if this is something that would need to be tweaked on the Roon end but it looks like this:

clControlThread::ParseMsg(): clHQPlayerEngine::Play(): clThread::Create(): already running!

Her's a silly newbie Linux question re: AudioLinux....

I run mine via generic but decent Cruzer Glide 32GB USB thumb drive (alternating boots with Win10 on my SSD). Is this $30 USB stick platform worthy of running such a high end HQPlayer environment, given that the rest of my server is i7 6700k, Nvidia GTX960 CUDA, etc etc? Am I better off at least copying AudioLinux to a partition on my SSD? I have worked hard to get HQPlayer to a clean and powerful environment, but the inexperienced in me says it seems weird that I am running my OS off a generic USB stick.

BTW, I would go Debian if it included the plug-n-play type of GUI that Audiolinux gives me, especially as a newbie to Linux.

I have my AudioLinux installed on the internal HD. I used the USB flash disk to test, but I quickly swapped to HD.

BTW, the procedure is slightly complicated (it's not just copy from USB to HD) and you better be directed by Piero about it.

All upgrades are always "yaourt -S hqplayer-embedded". Usually Piero makes the new package available within a day on AUR.

This is great, thank you. After an evening of listening, the only issue I've noticed with Roon is a tendency for playback to stop when using "Play Now" if something is already playing. I don't know if this is something that would need to be tweaked on the Roon end but it looks like this:

clControlThread::ParseMsg(): clHQPlayerEngine::Play(): clThread::Create(): already running!

Hmmh, I thought I already fixed that problem because I didn't see it anymore. I'll look into it and make a new build once I find the problem. There may be a time window somewhere where the playback is being stopped and then next playback is being asked while the stop procedure is still ongoing. These kind of timing problems are hard to catch in testing...

I have my AudioLinux installed on the internal HD. I used the USB flash disk to test, but I quickly swapped to HD.

BTW, the procedure is slightly complicated (it's not just copy from USB to HD) and you better be directed by Piero about it.

All upgrades are always "yaourt -S hqplayer-embedded". Usually Piero makes the new package available within a day on AUR.

Thanks! Did moving AudioLinux to the hdd improve anything?

May I suggest to concentrate on release of finalized and well documented official APIs. Release of web pages, APPs and whatever will follow by themselves.

@Miska

Understood.

The mention of timing made me wonder whether this could be latency or some subtle interaction of the wired and wireless connections in my current configuration:

iOS remote (5g wifi) -> Roon server (wired Ethernet) -> NAA (2.4g wifi).

Cheap dual band (Archer C7) router, lots happening on both bands in a small time frame, could be something. Maybe my imagination but so far it's much less likely to trigger a full stop with iOS remote set to 2.4ghz band.

Will test some wired connection, as well as the cubox when it arrives hopefully today.

May I suggest to concentrate on release of finalized and well documented official APIs.

APIs are "finalized" already unless something new is needed. Documentation is in form of example code.

Release of web pages, APPs and whatever will follow by themselves.

Mmm, no? Adding the current control web control feature took me almost two weeks. Then there's quite a bit more work to be done for configuration GUI. I understand editing the XML file is not particularly friendly way.

Release of web pages, APPs and whatever will follow by themselves.

Mmm, no? Adding the current control web control feature took me almost two weeks. Then there's quite a bit more work to be done for configuration GUI. I understand editing the XML file is not particularly friendly way.

I meant, external developers can follow up quickly.