IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

18 hours ago, shadowlight said:

@Miska will you be updating the custom kernel for Debian and Fedora?  Xenial directory has updated kernels that were release on Aug. 29th.

There is also updated kernel for Stretch. But I'm not planning to make any kernel releases for Fedora. So on Fedora you are on mercy of what comes with the distro.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

@Miska  have you run into a situation / interaction between BubbleUPnP and HQPe.  I am streaming Qobuz and the main web interface and the logs both show the format of the previous songs format.  On the BubbleUPnP screen I am seeing the correct format listed.

For example I am playing the Depeche Mode Policy of Truth which is 48kHz/24bit Stereo but HQPe's main window and logs show 44100/2/16 but the song being played is the correct one.

HQPe is running v.4.3 under Debian Stretch talking to Windows NAA connected to DAC.

5 hours ago, shadowlight said:

@Miska  have you run into a situation / interaction between BubbleUPnP and HQPe.  I am streaming Qobuz and the main web interface and the logs both show the format of the previous songs format.  On the BubbleUPnP screen I am seeing the correct format listed.

For example I am playing the Depeche Mode Policy of Truth which is 48kHz/24bit Stereo but HQPe's main window and logs show 44100/2/16 but the song being played is the correct one.

HQPe is running v.4.3 under Debian Stretch talking to Windows NAA connected to DAC.

I have not seen such what I've tested BubbleUPnP with MinimServer. I cannot test with Qobuz since it is not available in Finland.

Have you checked that BubbleUPnP doesn't have transcoding enabled in Renderer specific settings? You should be able to disable transcoding and enable eventing there.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

I have not seen such what I've tested BubbleUPnP with MinimServer. I cannot test with Qobuz since it is not available in Finland.

Have you checked that BubbleUPnP doesn't have transcoding enabled in Renderer specific settings? You should be able to disable transcoding and enable eventing there.

I will double check tonight but I am pretty sure that transcoding is disabled.  I will also enable logging in BubbleUPnP to see if I can spot something.

Hi @Miska

Just setup my new HQP Embedded machine, fanless Asus H110T i7-7700T.

I noticed that the case is noticeably warmer to touch when running in ALSA mode than NAA mode, to DSD512 (the wonderful poly-sinc-short-mp-2s).

Does ALSA output mode at DSD512 cause a notable increase in CPU usage?

I'm not too bothered by it - in the end I was planning to use NAA anyway. 

Just a general query.

HQPeplaying to iFi Pro iDSD DAC at 22MHz/24MHz and sounding so so good ?

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

I noticed that the case is noticeably warmer to touch when running in ALSA mode than NAA mode, to DSD512 (the wonderful poly-sinc-short-mp-2s).

Does ALSA output mode at DSD512 cause a notable increase in CPU usage?

No, both are practically the same. NAA actually causes slightly higher load due to network stack, depending on how much hardware offload support the network adapter has.

Filter selection combined with source format is the dominating factor.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:38 AM, Miska said:

On Linux with ALSA backend, you may want to set "Buffer time" to for example 100 ms which is quite good starting point.

Hi @Miska

If 100ms is a recommended starting point for ALSA backend, is there any reason not to just go straight to the max of 250ms ?

Can there be any negative effects going to the max of 250ms?

I'm currently using HQPe bootable image and trying ALSA backend to iFi Pro iDSD.

100ms works fine but just wondering what would be the reasons to not just use 250ms.

55 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

If 100ms is a recommended starting point for ALSA backend, is there any reason not to just go straight to the max of 250ms ?

Can there be any negative effects going to the max of 250ms?

I'm currently using HQPe bootable image and trying ALSA backend to iFi Pro iDSD.

100ms works fine but just wondering what would be the reasons to not just use 250ms.

Doesn't really matter much, I have just felt that 100 ms is a good compromise... It has some impact on how quickly controls react.

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

Doesn't really matter much, I have just felt that 100 ms is a good compromise... It has some impact on how quickly controls react.

Ha turns out you are right (surprise surprise) - I tried 250ms and I can't stay the 150ms delay (first world problems). Back to 100ms I go... 

I am just trying Audiolinux for the first time and have it installed on a PC. First time venturing out with Linux and have some questions.

1. How do I get the .xml registration file for this installation? 

2. What are my remote control option. I was using Geoffrey Armstrong's JRivertoHQPlayer when using a Win 10 set up. Any such thing with this set up? Is there anything like Remote Desktop here?

3. I am sure there are some Holo Spring DAC users here, do I need to install a driver for this DAC (I have a SU-1 between the computer and the DAC and connect to DAC with I2S).

2 hours ago, sig8 said:

I am just trying Audiolinux for the first time and have it installed on a PC. First time venturing out with Linux and have some questions.

2. What are my remote control option. I was using Geoffrey Armstrong's JRivertoHQPlayer when using a Win 10 set up. Any such thing with this set up? Is there anything like Remote Desktop here?

3. I am sure there are some Holo Spring DAC users here, do I need to install a driver for this DAC (I have a SU-1 between the computer and the DAC and connect to DAC with I2S).

You have some options for remote control:

1) Unified remote if you want to control HQPLayer Desktop with a virtual remote on Android and iPhone

2)  HQPDcontrol (see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.prochazkaa.hqpdcontrol) on Android for both embedded and Desktop

3) Roon

4) Bubble UPnP on Android for HQPE + Rygel

5) For remote Desktop you can install NoMachine on PC, MAC, Android iPhone. It will connect automatically!

No, the kernel is already patched for it. Also SU-1 should work out of the box.

For the license you should buy it at Signalyst...

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

3 hours ago, sig8 said:

I'm also running Audiolinux with the Holo Spring.  If you wouldn't mind, please let me know if you have any issues upsampling to PCM 384 or DSD512.  For some reason I'm having an issue in Linux where I didn't have one in Windows.

16 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

In my Holo audio Spring both upsampling are working fine. Maybe the new xmos 208 usb board has a different code? 

You can send me the output of lsusb command in a terminal and I will check and eventually I will make a kernel patch.

I'll send it to you tonight Piero, and thank you.  I can't say enough about how good you are at responding and helping.

20 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

In my Holo audio Spring both upsampling are working fine. Maybe the new xmos 208 usb board has a different code? 

You can send me the output of lsusb command in a terminal and I will check and eventually I will make a kernel patch.

The DSD support update I did that is now included in 4.18+ kernels should fix most of these kind of issues and simplify the driver maintenance a lot...

On 9/7/2018 at 5:08 PM, Johnseye said:

I'm also running Audiolinux with the Holo Spring.  If you wouldn't mind, please let me know if you have any issues upsampling to PCM 384 or DSD512.  For some reason I'm having an issue in Linux where I didn't have one in Windows.

John: I don't have issue upsampling to PCM 384 but stuttering at DSD 512. I was able to upsample before under Win 10 on same machine. I think Piero is going to look into it.

7 hours ago, sig8 said:

John: I don't have issue upsampling to PCM 384 but stuttering at DSD 512. I was able to upsample before under Win 10 on same machine. I think Piero is going to look into it.

In general realtime kernels use more processing power than standard ones. The problem is more apparent in not powerful processors (celeron, atom, etc). You can try this:

1) If you have a compliant nvidia card, install nvidia closed source drivers and enable cuda in HQPlayer.

2) Disable realtime manual priority assignment disabling the corresponding systemd services (after you need to reboot):

systemctl disable rtirq

systemctl disable rtapp.timer

3) Boot into audiolinux extreme option (this way the processor won't go to sleep state, but you must check temperatures...)

4) Install the standard arch kernel 4.18.x

5) Buy a more powerful PC... :)

For specific support on one of these options, contact me directly.

15 minutes ago, jmmbarco said:

Hi! Sorry for the dumb question but, how do you measure cpu usage and temperature in your linux console? i don´t want to install unnecessary packets....

Thank you!

top is a fairly standard utility that is likely already installed, but you may find htop makes more sense visually. It is lightweight, doesn't have many dependencies, and does not run anything in the background.

CPU temp monitoring requires installing lm_sensors. Some basic info for Ubuntu here. (Basically just install lm_sensors package, run sensors-detect and say yes to all the questions. It generally requires zero configuration beyond this.) You can ignore the sections about various monitor apps as you don't have a gui. After installation, simply invoking sensors from the command line will give you temperature readouts. If you wanted a more realtime display that would be another thing, I can't advise there because I pretty much forget about this after verifying reasonable temps. 

More new filters, awesome! Excited to listen.

General question: have any Arch Linux or Audiolinux users out there attempted CUDA offload? I know officially only Ubuntu is supported (and that's what I'll probably continue to use)  but the AUR package is based on the xenial release, so I'm curious if any tinkerers have experimented.

35 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

More new filters, awesome! Excited to listen.

General question: have any Arch Linux or Audiolinux users out there attempted CUDA offload? I know officially only Ubuntu is supported (and that's what I'll probably continue to use)  but the AUR package is based on the xenial release, so I'm curious if any tinkerers have experimented.

Yes CUDA is working if you install the nvidia closed source driver. In archlinux wiki is explained how to do. 

13 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

Yes CUDA is working if you install the nvidia closed source driver. In archlinux wiki is explained how to do. 

Hi Piero, although I can use the poly-sinc filter without stuttering after enabled the CUDA offload under Audiolinux OS in accordance to your advice, I don't understand why every time I can play one song ONLY. After that, the next song simply CANNOT continue. And the BubbleUPnP loses connection with HQPlayer Embedded.

The same situation occurs, no matter I use BubbleUPnP or HQPDcontrol. How can I solve this problem?