IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

13 hours ago, Miska said:

This is also what I do on two servers at the moment; use the standard minimal Ubuntu Server as a starting point, nothing else installed except SSH server.

So sorry, it is Ubuntu Studio Xenial Xerus 16.04.4 LTS  NOT Ubuntu Desktop correct?

4 hours ago, benkit said:

Hi Jussi,

Do you have any  update for  HQP embedded instal guide?  I have the HQPlayer embedded install guide V.0.5 that may be out date.

Have you any opinion for audiolinux OS that already HQPe  bundle onto it?  It just only purchase the license that's all .  Any  test  with sound quality and latency .

Thank you

Benkit 

Are you talking about the install guide couple of pages back?  If yes, that is the latest one that I have published.  There are some updates that needs to be added but I have not had a chance to get to it yet.  

Let me know if there is something specific that you are running into an issue with and I can help out.

1 hour ago, luisma said:

So sorry, it is Ubuntu Studio Xenial Xerus 16.04.4 LTS  NOT Ubuntu Desktop correct?

No no, both are desktop variants with GUI and I absolutely don't want to have any graphics running, only bare text mode console. So Ubuntu Server:

https://www.ubuntu.com/server

Currently still using 16.04 until 18.04 becomes officially upgradeable from 16.04 on the first point release. Downloads are here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04.4/

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

No no, both are desktop variants with GUI and I absolutely don't want to have any graphics running, only bare text mode console. So Ubuntu Server:

https://www.ubuntu.com/server

Currently still using 16.04 until 18.04 becomes officially upgradeable from 16.04 on the first point release. Downloads are here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04.4/

Thank you so much for clarifying, I had a lapse there :)

9 hours ago, benkit said:

Hi Jussi,

Do you have any  update for  HQP embedded instal guide?  I have the HQPlayer embedded install guide V.0.5 that may be out date.

Have you any opinion for audiolinux OS that already HQPe  bundle onto it?  It just only purchase the license that's all .  Any  test  with sound quality and latency .

Thank you

Benkit 

I do not know anything about Linux, but the  Pinkfaun 2.16 streamer is running Audiolinux.

As a user, I am extremely happy with its performance.  Of course, I cannot compare with other Linux variants.

Dirk

On 7/10/2018 at 7:13 PM, Miska said:

This is also what I do on two servers at the moment; use the standard minimal Ubuntu Server as a starting point, nothing else installed except SSH server. Then install my 4.14 kernel build which is optimized for this use case unlike the one installed as standard on Ubuntu. Then install libgmpris and hqplayerd packages and then fetch the missing dependencies with "apt install -f". That's pretty much it. Just set the configuration username+password with "hqplayerd -s username password" and restart hqplayerd service.

Network configuration is straightforward through /etc/network/interfaces file.

This should be good basis for Roon Core as well. Putting anything extra on my bootable images is tricky at best, so they are best as-is.

regarding the minimal installation...........i understand that this will create more horsepower for complex computations.

however, if the processor is very light loaded and easily handles all signal processing, is there a SQ advantage to a minimal installation versus a standard Xenial desktop implementation?

14 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Are you talking about the install guide couple of pages back?  If yes, that is the latest one that I have published.  There are some updates that needs to be added but I have not had a chance to get to it yet.  

Let me know if there is something specific that you are running into an issue with and I can help out.

Yes, I mentioned to install guide that written by Written by: D Vaidya, since October 26,2017 contain with 12 pages.

Software version for installing might differently between manual and current due to version already up that should fine to

change to current that has no problem to do and follow up almost step.  

I followed almost steps install HQPe on Ubuntu server version 18.04 LTS all steps flawlessly but unable to start HQPe with  run command; " hqplayerd  -u user password"  where user and specific with I desired it already.  It has error message "permission denied"  and unable to using browser connect to it

I tried to omit the password when starting that's fine without error but unable connect with browser. It has always keep to asking for username and password all time. Trying to input several passwords that defined  during installation ubuntu

but still no luck. Sorry I'm not linux guy and know a bit for linux and command.       

10 hours ago, benkit said:

Yes, I mentioned to install guide that written by Written by: D Vaidya, since October 26,2017 contain with 12 pages.

Software version for installing might differently between manual and current due to version already up that should fine to

change to current that has no problem to do and follow up almost step.  

I followed almost steps install HQPe on Ubuntu server version 18.04 LTS all steps flawlessly but unable to start HQPe with  run command; " hqplayerd  -u user password"  where user and specific with I desired it already.  It has error message "permission denied"  and unable to using browser connect to it

I tried to omit the password when starting that's fine without error but unable connect with browser. It has always keep to asking for username and password all time. Trying to input several passwords that defined  during installation ubuntu

but still no luck. Sorry I'm not linux guy and know a bit for linux and command.       

That would be me who wrote it.  

I have not tested it with 18.04 LTS but the process and commands for 16.x and 18.x should be the same.  Can you try the following command "sudo hqplayerd -u user password" without the quotes and see if the permission problem goes away.  I am assuming that you are using local user account to logon to Linux?

Which timezone are you located in?  If the above command does not work out we can setup a screen sharing session and address the issue.

Miska

I can't get HQP and Roon running

Roon server and HQP running on W10, i7, SSD, 16g ram machine. Latest versions of HQP and Roon

Have MSB select dac with new V2 renderer. Roon works perfectly. HQP tells me no device but there is no device to select.

Please help.....

@Kingsrule I do not use Roon or MSB DAC but I remember Miska mentioning that you need to make sure that the DAC is not configured as a end point or equivalent terminology in Roon.  Since, your ultimate goal is to get the following working Roon --> HQP --> MSB DAC, I would get HQP to MSB working first and than get Roon to send the stream to HQP by configure HQP as the endpoint in Roon instead of the MSB DAC directly.

Also, you might want to post your question in the main HQPlayer thread since you seem to be running the desktop version of HQP.  The folks hanging out on this thread are more likely to be running the embedded version.

8 hours ago, Kingsrule said:

I can't get HQP and Roon running

Roon server and HQP running on W10, i7, SSD, 16g ram machine. Latest versions of HQP and Roon

Have MSB select dac with new V2 renderer. Roon works perfectly. HQP tells me no device but there is no device to select.

Please help.....

If you have the device enabled as endpoint in Roon, it keeps it reserved and HQPlayer cannot access it... Any DAC you want to access from HQPlayer needs to be disabled in Roon.

Note, setting password using "hqplayerd -u" writes the authentication data into $HOME/.hqplayer folder, so it gets set for the current user.

While using "hqplayerd -s" sets it for the hqplayerd.service by writing into /etc/hqplayer - this will need root access, so needs to be done through sudo if not already logged in as a root or "sudo su -".

Username argument is not related to local users, but it is just username you enter when browser asks for username and password.

On 7/12/2018 at 2:41 AM, cat6man said:

regarding the minimal installation...........i understand that this will create more horsepower for complex computations.

however, if the processor is very light loaded and easily handles all signal processing, is there a SQ advantage to a minimal installation versus a standard Xenial desktop implementation?

If you use a NAA it doesn't matter from sound quality point of view. If you connect directly to a DAC, it may lower the noise in USB output which may lower noise implications with the DAC.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

If you have the device enabled as endpoint in Roon, it keeps it reserved and HQPlayer cannot access it... Any DAC you want to access from HQPlayer needs to be disabled in Roon.

I tried that already I disabled the MSB in Roon HQP still can't find it...

21 hours ago, Miska said:

If you use a NAA it doesn't matter from sound quality point of view. If you connect directly to a DAC, it may lower the noise in USB output which may lower noise implications with the DAC.

As I expected.  Thanks for confirmation.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:02 PM, shadowlight said:

That would be me who wrote it.  

I have not tested it with 18.04 LTS but the process and commands for 16.x and 18.x should be the same.  Can you try the following command "sudo hqplayerd -u user password" without the quotes and see if the permission problem goes away.  I am assuming that you are using local user account to logon to Linux?

Which timezone are you located in?  If the above command does not work out we can setup a screen sharing session and address the issue.

Shadowlight,

I tried to install the ubuntu server v. 16.06 LTS  and success toinstall HQPe  without any error. But I'm still unable to connect to it by using browser.  When connecting at http://my_unbutu_IP_address:8088/config its unreachable. I verified its IP address with command "ifconfig" that address is correctly and are on the same network ,client and server. I also can pinging to ubuntu server machine. Any advise I verify HQPe configuration , running  process or message that I can dig down into it. 

My time zone is GMT+7 that may inconvenience for you assist remotely.

Thank you

@benkit confirm that you have HQPe is running by typing the command "ps -ef|grep -i hqplayerd".  If you do not see it running type the following command "systemctl start hqplayerd.service".  If you get an error message with the last command, type the following command "systemctl enable hqplayerd.service".  If nothing works please reboot the system, which should auto start HQPe.

I am on the road until next Friday but if you are still having issues we can figure out a way to do remote assist, since the time difference between you and me is around 11 hrs or so and I should be able to make it work.

The other option that you have is to leverage the prebuilt image that Miska has published - https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images/

8 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

@benkit confirm that you have HQPe is running by typing the command "ps -ef|grep -i hqplayerd".  If you do not see it running type the following command "systemctl start hqplayerd.service".  If you get an error message with the last command, type the following command "systemctl enable hqplayerd.service".  If nothing works please reboot the system, which should auto start HQPe.

I am on the road until next Friday but if you are still having issues we can figure out a way to do remote assist, since the time difference between you and me is around 11 hrs or so and I should be able to make it work.

The other option that you have is to leverage the prebuilt image that Miska has published - https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images/

OK. I will to verify onto my installed per you advised.

I will download Jussi's prebuilt image if my installed couldn't finger out.

Thank you very much