IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

14 minutes ago, Phil261575 said:

Is this a recent problem or a known issue?

I don't know. I don't really know much about GentooPlayer.

14 minutes ago, Phil261575 said:

Would you suggest an alternate distro instead of GentooPlayer that would host both Roon Server and HQP Embedded properly instead of ROCK + HQP Embedded (I do have only one server at that time)?

I would first ask the GentooPlayer people.

Alternatively you could always use one of the distros supported by me.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

11 minutes ago, Gato said:

Sound's beautiful!

My full agreement 👍

12 minutes ago, Gato said:

But the last 8 cores seems never used. Do I miss something or is it like this for the moment?

You probably mean the E-cores? I have deactivated all but two of them, since only two were used simultaneously in my setup (without CUDA). 

The high efficiency of the 13th Intel generation allows the limitation to 4GHz (P-cores) and 3.2GHz (E-cores) in my fanless system. 

44779656ri.png

3 hours ago, Gato said:

But the last 8 cores seems never used. Do I miss something or is it like this for the moment?

Depends on the case, but when not needed, efficiency cores are left for running the OS itself and any other processes there are.

With HQPlayer OS the usage is naturally lower since there is very little other activity except the kernel, so they sleep lot of the time. If you would be running for example Roon Core on the same machine, then those would be used more.

I tried to install HQP Embedded with Signalyst OS, but I can’t find how to install it on the internal SSD after booting from USB key. What have I missed?

GentooPlayer (Roon+HQPlayer) ==> exaSound Gamma+e68 ==> Audiophonics Eigentakt / Accuphase A46 / Audiophonics Eigentakt ==> Jensen Supravox / Arai Radian / Fostex

7 minutes ago, Phil261575 said:

I tried to install HQP Embedded with Signalyst OS, but I can’t find how to install it on the internal SSD after booting from USB key. What have I missed?

You can boot for example Ubuntu Desktop or Fedora Workstation installation/live image to write the image to internal SSD.

But it may not be worth the trouble, it is probably easier to just run it from USB memory stick.

8 minutes ago, Phil261575 said:

I boot to a different OS, then use Etcher to write the image to the internal drive on which I want to run HQPe. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 11/29/2022 at 9:50 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I boot to a different OS, then use Etcher to write the image to the internal drive on which I want to run HQPe. 

Thanks for the tip. I used an USB to M2 adapter to write the image using Etcher. Very easy!

GentooPlayer (Roon+HQPlayer) ==> exaSound Gamma+e68 ==> Audiophonics Eigentakt / Accuphase A46 / Audiophonics Eigentakt ==> Jensen Supravox / Arai Radian / Fostex

On 12/1/2022 at 7:18 AM, Gato said:

New version: Trivial Temperature viewer v2.1!

Also a new TT launcher called TTV, allowing, for example, to visualize the maximum temperature reached during the TT session.

tt 22.63 kB · 6 downloads ttv 629 B · 4 downloads

On 12/1/2022 at 7:18 AM, Gato said:

New version: Trivial Temperature viewer v2.1!

Also a new TT launcher called TTV, allowing, for example, to visualize the maximum temperature reached during the TT session.

tt 22.63 kB · 6 downloads ttv 629 B · 4 downloads

New version, mainly cosmetic: Trivial Temperature viewer v2.2!

Also a new version 1.1 of TTV (the TT launcher).

tt ttv

Miska,

on my server (NUC 8i7 4 cores/8 threads) with HPQE Os, I can see that CPUs 4 to 7 are loaded by the DSD processing (average is 75%), but CPUs 0 to 3 are not loaded at all (average 1%).

Are these 4 first CPUs "preserved" for the OS?

Is there a way to force the use of some CPUs for DSD processing (e.g. 2 and 3)?

Is the only way to have more power is to have a more powerfull proc with additionnal CPU?

3 hours ago, Phil261575 said:

on my server (NUC 8i7 4 cores/8 threads) with HPQE Os, I can see that CPUs 4 to 7 are loaded by the DSD processing (average is 75%), but CPUs 0 to 3 are not loaded at all (average 1%).

Are these 4 first CPUs "preserved" for the OS?

Is there a way to force the use of some CPUs for DSD processing (e.g. 2 and 3)?

Is the only way to have more power is to have a more powerfull proc with additionnal CPU?

Your CPU has four cores, so those are used for processing. Threads are used when needed, but otherwise left for other processes and other low load HQPlayer threads.

So your CPU has four execution units that can do work, and eight register sets. By distributing work to eight virtual processors instead of four wouldn't increase performance, instead it would degrade a little. The only practical effect of those hardware threads is that it halves the context switching overhead when there are a lot of processes/threads running on the OS.

So OS load percentage would change, but actual work wouldn't get completed any faster. So work X would take 1 second to complete, either at 50% load or 100% load. HQPlayer chooses to complete it at 50% load.

On 11/26/2022 at 9:26 AM, Mike Rubin said:

So far, so good. I have rebooted HQPe, added a huge local library, and switched the Signature Rendu to other client software for awhile and reinitialized the NAA software. HQPe hasn't missed a beat and I haven't had to go back to the root command. 

So, that begs the question:  can the root command be built into the HQPe bootup process?  I recall there is a way to get Putty ssh to work with HQPe, but I ended up having to plug my headless NUC into a monitor and add a keyboard when I ran the command. 

For now, though, I am thrilled that you were able to get me back up and running. Thank you again. 

systemctl restart hqplayerd has been the magic bullet since you told me about this, @Miska.  It has given me amazing connectivity with various front end players (Roon, JRiver, minimserver, and Audirvana) and to both Sonore rendus. 

Unfortunately, I need to rerun it when I update the OS image.  @stefano_mbpwas kind enough to assist me in learning how to do the command over SSH rather than with an attached monitor and keyboard, but I still have to do it. 

Is there utility in building this command into the reboot process?  I am sure there aren't many who had my issues, but the command has been helpful and it would be great to have it run automatically even before I bring up the GUI in my browser, if you can accomplish that easily.  Thanks for considering this.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

11 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Unfortunately, I need to rerun it when I update the OS image.  @stefano_mbpwas kind enough to assist me in learning how to do the command over SSH rather than with an attached monitor and keyboard, but I still have to do it. 

Is there utility in building this command into the reboot process?  I am sure there aren't many who had my issues, but the command has been helpful and it would be great to have it run automatically even before I bring up the GUI in my browser, if you can accomplish that easily.  Thanks for considering this.

Which OS was this? You shouldn't need it, there's something wrong if you need to do it. HQPlayer shouldn't be started until everything is fine.

But if for example your router has some strange delay before traffic passes through, you can try to use some delay

by modifying the hqplayerd.service with couple of different ways:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43001223/how-to-ensure-that-there-is-a-delay-before-a-service-is-started-in-systemd

53 minutes ago, Miska said:

Which OS was this? You shouldn't need it, there's something wrong if you need to do it. HQPlayer shouldn't be started until everything is fine.

But if for example your router has some strange delay before traffic passes through, you can try to use some delay

by modifying the hqplayerd.service with couple of different ways:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43001223/how-to-ensure-that-there-is-a-delay-before-a-service-is-started-in-systemd

I use HQPlayer Embedded OS.  It was not recognizing my NAA’s.  

You suggested some things to look at it in my network, but they either checked out okay or were not adjustable in my router.  Then, you suggested that I log in as root and run systemctl restart HQPlayer. 

That has proven to be a reliable solution when you suggested it and on the two occasions that I have updated the HQPe OS USB key since then.  I am just trying to save myself the trouble of creating a new user to enable SSH access and then running the restart command remotely.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

30 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I use HQPlayer Embedded OS.  It was not recognizing my NAA’s.  

You suggested some things to look at it in my network, but they either checked out okay or were not adjustable in my router.  Then, you suggested that I log in as root and run systemctl restart HQPlayer. 

That has proven to be a reliable solution when you suggested it and on the two occasions that I have updated the HQPe OS USB key since then.  I am just trying to save myself the trouble of creating a new user to enable SSH access and then running the restart command remotely.

OK, some strangeness with the network infra. Then the solution is to try adding some random delay like in the link I provided to delay starting hqplayerd service. Suitable delay needs to be found by trial and error.

Or alternatively you can write a new rule to restart hqplayerd service with timer.

Just no easy and clean solutions to this. Apart from changing router to something that doesn't bug this way with DHCP, or configuring static IP by editing network configuration in /etc/systemd/network according to:

https://systemd.network/systemd.network.html

(it may still bug though if IGMP doesn't work properly)

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

OK, some strangeness with the network infra. Then the solution is to try adding some random delay like in the link I provided to delay starting hqplayerd service. Suitable delay needs to be found by trial and error.

Or alternatively you can write a new rule to restart hqplayerd service with timer.

Just no easy and clean solutions to this. Apart from changing router to something that doesn't bug this way with DHCP, or configuring static IP by editing network configuration in /etc/systemd/network according to:

https://systemd.network/systemd.network.html

(it may still bug though if IGMP doesn't work properly)

Thank you.  I looked at the link.  That alteration is well beyond my Linux skill level, so I will just continue to create a user and use Putty to run the command manually. 

14 hours ago, Miska said:

Your CPU has four cores, so those are used for processing. Threads are used when needed, but otherwise left for other processes and other low load HQPlayer threads.

So your CPU has four execution units that can do work, and eight register sets. By distributing work to eight virtual processors instead of four wouldn't increase performance, instead it would degrade a little. The only practical effect of those hardware threads is that it halves the context switching overhead when there are a lot of processes/threads running on the OS.

So OS load percentage would change, but actual work wouldn't get completed any faster. So work X would take 1 second to complete, either at 50% load or 100% load. HQPlayer chooses to complete it at 50% load.

So, cores are the key. I will have to look at a powerful CPU with more cores to be able to support more demanding DSD processing. I will take a look to the various discussions here and at Roon Community to find the best one for me (DSD 256 + 2 to 6 voices convolution).

Hope my brand new HQPE license will not been lost…

1 hour ago, Phil261575 said:

So, cores are the key. I will have to look at a powerful CPU with more cores to be able to support more demanding DSD processing. I will take a look to the various discussions here and at Roon Community to find the best one for me (DSD 256 + 2 to 6 voices convolution).

Hope my brand new HQPE license will not been lost…

You can move it to your new upcoming hardware.

4 hours ago, Gato said:

@Jussi

Is it possible to have "dmidecode" in a future version of HQPlayer OS?

Or is there already a tool in HQPlayer OS to do this kind of work?

Do you have some specific use case in mind why it would be necessary? You could of course just boot Ubuntu or Fedora live image for running that utility.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Do you have some specific use case in mind why it would be necessary? You could of course just boot Ubuntu or Fedora live image for running that utility.

For a script I'm working on (running live on HQPlayer OS), I'm confronted with /sys/firmware/dmi/tables/DMI in order to extract information about the "memory hardware" for example.
"dmidecode" would be very handy. But I could understand that it is not adapted to the goals of HQPlayer OS...😔