IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I found that HQPE reduces the output level of directly connected devices. I tried to connect both a USB sound card and PCIex, in both cases the volume is clearly lower than it should be, if you connect via a "pad" for example BBB + Pure firmware to which the Asus U7 card is connected via USB, then the volume is normal. Please advise what is wrong and why?

7 hours ago, Traktorist3d said:

Hello everyone, I found that HQPE reduces the output level of directly connected devices. I tried to connect both a USB sound card and PCIex, in both cases the volume is clearly lower than it should be, if you connect via a "pad" for example BBB + Pure firmware to which the Asus U7 card is connected via USB, then the volume is normal. Please advise what is wrong and why?

Normal level is -3 dBFS which is a bit lower and is just enough to avoid inter-sample overs. If it's more, then likely those devices have a hardware volume control and you need to adjust it to 0 dBFS through "alsamixer" first and then you can store it with "alsactl store".

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 hours ago, Miska said:

Normal level is -3 dBFS which is a bit lower and is just enough to avoid inter-sample overs. If it's more, then likely those devices have a hardware volume control and you need to adjust it to 0 dBFS through "alsamixer" first and then you can store it with "alsactl store".

At 0dB in all HQPE fields, the sound volume is significantly lower than when connected via an endpoint. Obviously not -3 dB.

"adjust it to 0 dBFS through "alsamixer" first and then you can store it with "alsactl store."" - How to do it?

Or how to check in HQPE that the volume in ALSA is set to 0 dB?

27 minutes ago, Traktorist3d said:

At 0dB in all HQPE fields, the sound volume is significantly lower than when connected via an endpoint. Obviously not -3 dB.

"adjust it to 0 dBFS through "alsamixer" first and then you can store it with "alsactl store."" - How to do it?

Or how to check in HQPE that the volume in ALSA is set to 0 dB?

If you are using HQPlayer OS, login as "root". You are already root, no need to use sudo.

Then run "aplay -l" to list all playback devices. Take note of the "card number" for your DAC.

Run "alsamixer -c N" where N is number of your "card". You get a text mode interface where you can adjust mixer settings. Using arrow keys and such.

Once done, hit Esc to exit. Then store the settings for future restarts using "alsactl store".

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to this HQPlayer software and my friend suggested I post my setup here and I would get help to set it up so here it is. I am able to use it with the default settings but I'm wondering what would be the ideal settings for my gear!

Streamer: Pi2Design Mercury running Roon on RopieeeXL

DAC: Gustard X26-Pro

Amp: Custom built CFA3

Headphones: Susvara

Just let me know if you need more info.

Thanks a lot

On 6/30/2022 at 8:15 AM, Miska said:

If you are using HQPlayer OS, login as "root". You are already root, no need to use sudo.

Then run "aplay -l" to list all playback devices. Take note of the "card number" for your DAC.

Run "alsamixer -c N" where N is number of your "card". You get a text mode interface where you can adjust mixer settings. Using arrow keys and such.

Once done, hit Esc to exit. Then store the settings for future restarts using "alsactl store".

It really did. Thanks a lot.
Another question, adjusting the volume in HQPE does not affect the sound quality in any way?

1 hour ago, Traktorist3d said:

Another question, adjusting the volume in HQPE does not affect the sound quality in any way?

No, it doesn't.

If you are using PCM output mode, you need to use at least TPDF or Gauss1 dither. If your output rate allows, you could gain even more dynamic range by choosing suitable noise-shaper instead.

If you are using SDM (DSD) output mode, this doesn't apply. But choice of output rate and modulator have impact.

11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

New HQP Desktop is out, 4.19.1 and it sounds fabulous and is using less CPU for me on Linux as well.

I should have said, on 20.04 Ubuntu, not 22.04 Jammy, just to be extra clear. I haven't made the switch yet but it looks like my hand will be forced.

No electron left behind.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing pops and clicks when using HQPlayer embedded and SOtM sMS200ultra as NAA with upsampling to 705,6 and 768 kHz? When upsampling with Roon (I know it makes absolutely no sense to do that, but I just tried) to the same bitrate, there are no similar distortions.

@Miska Any hint from you maybe? Thank you in advance.

56 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

I had a similar issue and solved it setting Buffer time to 10

65EC309F-A92D-4B1B-8BFE-24C2C3458A43.jpeg

Dear Stefano,

You are simply a genius.

I tried so many different settings, including buffer time of 50, 100 and the maximum 250, but none of those helped.

However, your advice of 10 ms buffer time works, unbelievable.

Thank you very much for your especially valuable advice.

Currently getting back into Linux and running Fedora 36 with HQPlayer Desktop 4.19.0.

What is the proper way to update to 4.19.1 on linux? Should I uninstall 4.19.0 first or just install 4.19.1 or can you run a dnf update on HQPlayer?

2 hours ago, ckpiv said:

Currently getting back into Linux and running Fedora 36 with HQPlayer Desktop 4.19.0.

What is the proper way to update to 4.19.1 on linux? Should I uninstall 4.19.0 first or just install 4.19.1 or can you run a dnf update on HQPlayer?

sudo rpm -Uvh hqplayer4desktop-xxx.rpm

No need to uninstall, just update the package.

4 hours ago, 2a3set said:

@Miska 

I am using 107amd now, failed to upgrade to 134amd with "error while loading shared libraries: libamdhip64.so.5", noticed earlier release cannot be downloaded anymore "ERROR 403: Forbidden",

Hopefully can get some help here, thank you!

Sorted out,

Sudo nano /etc/ld.so.conf.d/rocm.conf

add "/opt/rocm-5.0.0/lib”

sudo ldconfig