IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

2 minutes ago, skipspence said:

Since version 4.23.1 HQP OS refused to connect in web interface for me.

4.24.0 the same thing, though it always shows in wired clients list in my router.

Interesting! I have problems with Euphony playing NAA with HQPlayer 4 Embedded 4.24.0.

NAA T + A SDV 3100 HV USB are displayed correctly. Roon does not show any errors, but the progress bar does not change. And there is no music. 🤔

29 minutes ago, skipspence said:

Hi @Miska

4.24.0 the same thing, though it always shows in wired clients list in my router.

4.23.0 connects fine...

Opera and Google Chrome, tried all from mobile or desktop, no chance

In reported versions it doesn't show up in Bubble UPnP for me too..

5 hours ago, skipspence said:

Hi @Miska

4.23.0 connects fine...

Network doesn't come up?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 minutes ago, skipspence said:

Not sure what you're asking.. 

I can't connect to the web interface of HQP OS 4.24.0, rolled back to 4.23.0 and now it works

If the network interface(s) get connected and configured? What kind of NIC hardware do you have? I recommend sticking to 1 Gbps Intel adapters. Recent Realtek adapters are known to be problematic since they fail to provide up to date drivers to upstream Linux kernel.

6 hours ago, skipspence said:

4.23.0 connects fine...

Now I have an idea... What kind of CPU do you have? Now HQPlayer OS build requires AVX2, it is practically similar to the "amd" build of hqplayerd.

4 minutes ago, skipspence said:

That explains all now, no AVX2, it's J4005

NAA side (networkaudiod on HQPlayer OS, and NAA OS) works on that hardware. But hqplayerd would require different build to run on those Atom CPUs. This is the "make EC modulators work on more powerful hardware or be compatible with old/small CPUs" kind of dilemma.

Ubuntu or Debian and respective regular build works on that hardware too. FC33 build won't.

I spent some time switching between 16fs and 32fs. 32 wins regardless of the filter. It's very subtle on some tracks and often just a feeling more than a 'sound'. Increased ease without loss is the best way I can describe it.

I anticipate 64fs someday!

7 hours ago, Miska said:

DSD gives you 256x or more... ;)

256x or more what?

I don't care for how DSD kills the transients. DSD is too smoothed over and liquid in my system. Sometimes this is OK like if I have a headache but it's certainly not my preference. I'm sure it's all system dependent and ear/brain dependent.

41 minutes ago, lpost said:

256x or more what?

I don't care for how DSD kills the transients. DSD is too smoothed over and liquid in my system. Sometimes this is OK like if I have a headache but it's certainly not my preference. I'm sure it's all system dependent and ear/brain dependent.

256x rates or higher. Running proper digital filters to 256fs+. Instead of pathetic 32fs rates.

And no, you won't see 64fs PCM from USB Audio Class because it is out specification. Already 32fs PCM with more than 16 bit is out of spec.

You cannot keep increasing R2R DAC's sampling rates without significantly reducing number of bits, because you will hit settling time problem. High precision ladder cannot settle within +-½ LSB in fraction of sample time if sampling rate is too high. DSD gets you around this settling time problem. And also around low level linearity problems.

DSD certainly doesn't kill transients, you get much more accurate transient reproduction than you can with PCM DACs.

What kind of DAC do you have? There are not so many DACs where you have native PCM and native DSD...

1 hour ago, Miska said:

256x rates or higher. Running proper digital filters to 256fs+. Instead of pathetic 32fs rates.

And no, you won't see 64fs PCM from USB Audio Class because it is out specification. Already 32fs PCM with more than 16 bit is out of spec.

You cannot keep increasing R2R DAC's sampling rates without significantly reducing number of bits, because you will hit settling time problem. High precision ladder cannot settle within +-½ LSB in fraction of sample time if sampling rate is too high. DSD gets you around this settling time problem. And also around low level linearity problems.

DSD certainly doesn't kill transients, you get much more accurate transient reproduction than you can with PCM DACs.

What kind of DAC do you have? There are not so many DACs where you have native PCM and native DSD...

I could not agree more on the fact that DAC selection is critical when doing external up-sampling using HQP. Unless you have a DAC (like for example a Holo Spring or May) that can be run in true NOS mode and that also has separate converters (one PCM and one DSD), you really do not know what further data manipulation is going on in the DAC. As Jussi has said, there are only a few DACs out there that meet this criteria. 

4 minutes ago, PavelDosko said:

please do not laugh at the beginner question ... I am trying within Euphony HQPlayer Enbedded - can I somehow set it to resample only PCM formats to max PCM format what can DAC and DSD formats be played in native resolution?

Yes, set PCM rate limit to the DAC max. And enable Direct SDM.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Perhaps it's the dynamics. The punch and pop. The waves of sound are softer, less impactful, for me with DSD256. I think of these as transients and perhaps I simply like the less accurate rendition.

My PC is not been able to run beyond 256 and would love to experience higher but I also don't want a ~300-500w monster sucking more energy than my 265w 120v system currently does.

I spent a few hours piecing together a 6 and 8 core spec for HQPeOS x64 but haven't moved ahead with it just yet. I've not exhausted my exploration of PCM.

I have the May L3 dac fed USB with UP Gateway NAA. My previous DirectStream dac only output DSD and I was limited to 192kPCM by I2S board.

I've not spent much time with the numerous combinations available for DSD. Any suggestions where to start?

1998786596_ScreenShot2021-06-13at10_50_58AM.thumb.png.ad203a1153c700fda5300db0ebfbeb08.png