IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

5 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Hi @Miska a separate but related query, is "post-process" is completely separate to "matrix pipeline" at the top of Matrix page?

So I can enable 'post-process' and I do NOT have to enable 'matrix pipleline' for Bauer cross-feed to work?

No, it is part of the matrix profile. So you need to have matrix enabled to have any post-process. Post-process is separate only in the sense that it operates after the mixing functionality on the mix bus output. (if you consider how traditional studio mix boards work)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

24 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, it is part of the matrix profile. So you need to have matrix enabled to have any post-process. Post-process is separate only in the sense that it operates after the mixing functionality on the mix bus output. (if you consider how traditional studio mix boards work)

Ok but how to have headphones Bauer cross-feed but without my speaker matrix pipeline  IR filters active, for headphones listening?

I should create a piple matrix and called it 'None' without any IR processes loaded?

And use 'None' when post-processing is enabled?

Will that work? Any other way?

30 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Ok but how to have headphones Bauer cross-feed but without my speaker matrix pipeline  IR filters active, for headphones listening?

I should create a piple matrix and called it 'None' without any IR processes loaded?

And use 'None' when post-processing is enabled?

Will that work? Any other way?

My settings:

image.thumb.png.c9b06c5d9d4ff43aa29390d32f1efda2.png

Developer of HQPDcontrol.

Ok I worked it out.

Create new profiles, just like pipeline matrix speaker IR filters.

So I have delete IR processes and create a new profile called "Bauer - 4.5dB" and make seperate profiles for the other cross-feed options.

Then in HQPDCOntrol i can still switch.

While listening to headphones now, I decided to google who these people (Chu Moy and Jan Meier) are.

A nice memorial of him here (also a little sad to read).

https://headwizememorial.wordpress.com/pow-chu-moys-memorial/

Bauer cross-feed is in many places now: HQPlayer, Roon, RME ADI-2 DAC, Moode Audio etc.

So it's nice to see his name will be remembered for a long time, even just in headphones DSP.

Hi @Miska

For headphones EQ, HQP obviously doesn't have a built-in parametric EQ.

Is there a free program that I could use to generate EQ convolution files, that I could important into pipeline matrix?

If no free program, then paid?

Do you have any recommendations?

Many thanks

20 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

For headphones EQ, HQP obviously doesn't have a built-in parametric EQ.

Is there a free program that I could use to generate EQ convolution files, that I could important into pipeline matrix?

What you mean by obviously doesn't have? Since it obviously has? :D

1 hour ago, Miska said:

What you mean by obviously doesn't have? Since it obviously has? :D

Whaaaa. Parametric EQ in Embedded?

I just want to make a few simple frequency response adjustments to my headphones (based on 3rd party measurements of my headphones and little bit personal taste).

I'm looking for the simplest way using HQP Embedded for this.

I thought I would have to upload 2 filters in pipeline matrix - one for left channel, one for right.

REW will work? Or there's easier way?

4 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Whaaaa. Parametric EQ in Embedded?

I just want to make a few simple frequency response adjustments to my headphones (based on 3rd party measurements of my headphones and little bit personal taste).

I'm looking for the simplest way using HQP Embedded for this.

I thought I would have to upload 2 filters in pipeline matrix - one for left channel, one for right.

REW will work? Or there's easier way?

Yes, it is in both Embedded and Desktop, same way.

You can have convolution filter(s) and/or parametric eq(s).

Check out the help page! ;)

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Yes, it is in both Embedded and Desktop, same way.

You can have convolution filter(s) and/or parametric eq(s).

Check out the help page! ;)

Ok yes I knew that I would have to end up loading files.

I thought you were saying there was some graphical parametric EQ (like Roon has). That's what confused me, since I was looking everywhere !

So I should be able to create the 2 files (one for left channel, one for right channel) using REW ya? Or there's an easier way?

8 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Ok yes I knew that I would have to end up loading files.

I thought you were saying there was some graphical parametric EQ (like Roon has). That's what confused me, since I was looking everywhere !

So I should be able to create the 2 files (one for left channel, one for right channel) using REW ya? Or there's an easier way?

No, no files needed, you just enter the filter parameters. Files are only needed for convolution, not for parametric eq.

Filter set spec could be auto-generated by software and much more compact form than fiddling with graphical things. Especially if you have tens or hundreds of parametric eq's.

5 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Hi @Miska

Could you show me example syntax for the below.

Only the first 2 bands will be enough of an example to understand how it should look.

image.thumb.png.c78527c313b2e8181f8ab677a96b2e54.png

image.png.9a2ddf75c1c04050492c8ff0eea1f8fb.png

There's an example in the manual, but here you go...

iir:type=peak;f=80;g=-2.3;q=1.4,iir:type=lshelf;f=105;g=5.5;s=0.71,iir:type=peak;f=165;g=2.0;bw=1.01

Note that you can use either Q or BW, in first peak I used Q and in second I used BW. Also note that you can combine convolution filters and parametric eq's, just comma separate all.

Results in this response:

Screenshot_2021-01-24_13-09-45.png.3a0a42e540e00b90bd3dc69ddcaa7b2d.png

Remember to put the pre-amp gain of -6.6 dB in "Mix gain"! This is needed for gain compensation because the eq has positive gains (boosts).

Also check the resulting response that it looks correct, those Q's for the shelf eq's look like the slope factor, but just in case.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

There's an example in the manual, but here you go...

iir:type=peak;f=80;g=-2.3;q=1.4,iir:type=lshelf;f=105;g=5.5;s=0.71,iir:type=peak;f=165;g=2.0;bw=1.01

Note that you can use either Q or BW, in first peak I used Q and in second I used BW. Also note that you can combine convolution filters and parametric eq's, just comma separate all.

Thanks @Miska

I have now officially graduated to Black Belt certified HQPlayer Ninja 😄

One more level to reach HQPlayer Kung Fu Master

Would be great if for example REW could output the eq string, then it would be matter of simple copy-paste.

I think REW had some text output formats for the eq settings, at some point I can look if it would be possible to simply import such.

Either way it would save quite a lot of typing effort.

There is no strict technical limit how many parametric eq's one can have, limited mostly by processing power.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Would be great if for example REW could output the eq string, then it would be matter of simple copy-paste.

I think REW had some text output formats for the eq settings, at some point I can look if it would be possible to simply import such.

Either way it would save quite a lot of typing effort.

There is no strict technical limit how many parametric eq's one can have, limited mostly by processing power.

But if one is using REW, it's easier to do the PEQ in REW itself and just export the filter impulse response ?

And just import convolution filters into HQPe pipeline matrix like normal?

Unless there is an advantage to PEQ string that I don't know of?

I really love matrix profiles.

I have headphones and speaker profiles all setup there. So easy to change using @Ales Prochazka HQPDControl app on iPad !

2 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

But if one is using REW, it's easier to do the PEQ in REW itself and just export the filter impulse response ?

Kind of, depending on the corrections, running set of parametric eq's could be lighter than running it as convolution. So at least worth checking. Because in case of REW the convolution filter is just result of conversion of parametric eq's to convolution filter.

And at least you don't need to think about HF Expand or similar things since the IIR is initialized for needed sampling rate from the parameters.

43 minutes ago, Miska said:

Kind of, depending on the corrections, running set of parametric eq's could be lighter than running it as convolution. So at least worth checking.

Mmmm ok I will check. You really want me to earn that HQPlayer Black Belt don't you  ! 😄

I definitely owe you a beer or two if we're ever at the same Munich HiFi show ! I hope to be there 2022 (my first time ever at the show)