IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

14 hours ago, mtcs said:

I'm going to try out HQPDcontrol v4, replacing Roon, as my client to see if I can get a bump in SQ. I want to use my pre-amp to control the volume. Any thoughts on where  I should set the volume in HQPDcontrol? Thanks.

HQPDcontrol allows you to adjust the volume within the range defined in HQPlayer.

https://www.prochazkaa.cz/pub/RPReplay_Final1592863545.MP4

Time approx 2:30

Developer of HQPDcontrol.

Hi! This is Jose Miguel.

My digital setup is based on Hqplayer+NAA. Now, I want to build my naa endpoint v3 based on Up Squared (Pentium N4200 -  https://up-board.org/upsquared/specifications/). It is a very interesting device not only because its small size and quite powerful features, but also because of its I2S audio output directly from SoC (Apollo Lake) via de 40-pin GPIO, similar to RPI.

My idea is to take this I2S output into a top quality I2S reclocker (Andrea Mori at diyaudio, ian etc.) using the best clocks available (new Driscolls Andrea Mori as well) and then route the output to my DAC. This setup would make the USB conversion unnecessary. The ugly side is that everything above is still at development and support is not the best.

Currently it should be possible to connect via I2S the Hifiberry DAC+ Std. to UP2 adding the SOF driver support to PCM512x ( https://thesofproject.github.io/latest/getting_started/setup/setup_up_2_board.html ).

If this works, it would be possible to connect to the I2S pins at the hiffiberry to any othe I2S input device (the reclocker in my case). I assume that some audio device should appear in the ALSA config so that Hqplayer NAA could see it.

In the same SOF project there is also support for WM8804 (same link above) so some digital interface (Hifiberry DIGI+, Twisted Pear,Audio??) based on this Wolfson IC should be compatible.

It would be great to know what do you guys think about this setup, and get some feeback in case someone has already tested.

Miska recommends Up Squared for Hqplayer, but I do not find anything related to this I2S support. Please Miska can you tell us what do you think about this setup? Would the UP bootable image do the trick?

Thank you!

Best,

JM

On 8/30/2020 at 12:27 PM, jmmbarco said:

Miska recommends Up Squared for Hqplayer, but I do not find anything related to this I2S support. Please Miska can you tell us what do you think about this setup? Would the UP bootable image do the trick?

For me, the not so interesting part is that at the moment AFAIK it is limited to 192k PCM.

You also need to be a bit careful that you don't accidentally route audio through the on-chip DSP which would mess with the data.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

21 hours ago, Miska said:

For me, the not so interesting part is that at the moment AFAIK it is limited to 192k PCM.

You also need to be a bit careful that you don't accidentally route audio through the on-chip DSP which would mess with the data.

192k pcm is not so bad for me. I am just playing at 24/96 to a TDA1541 tube dac....but, would the bootable image work via I2S (GPIO)?

I have read about disabling the DSP in BIOS settings...

thank you

19 minutes ago, jmmbarco said:

192k pcm is not so bad for me. I am just playing at 24/96 to a TDA1541 tube dac....but, would the bootable image work via I2S (GPIO)?

I'm not sure, I have not tested. For your use case I would maybe rather use the RasPi4 bootable image and run the processing there. Then you also have easier I2S interface that works at least with HifiBerry DACs and such.

I am really having a hard time to make my HQPlayer embedded work with the Okto Research DAC8 Pro ... neither PCM, DoP nor native DSD seem to work. It works though in Windows with HQPlayer desktop and Thesycon drivers (pcm192Khz, dop64, native dsd128) up until 192Khz which is the maximum allowed.

Please find attached a screen capture (on my TV) of the output plus the log file generated for reference. I would appreciate any help here.

hqplayer_embedded_start-log_after-play.txtIMG_0742-edited.thumb.jpg.43085c4a0dcc0ce1625d093132b2ec60.jpg

6 hours ago, Snoozer said:

I am really having a hard time to make my HQPlayer embedded work with the Okto Research DAC8 Pro ... neither PCM, DoP nor native DSD seem to work. It works though in Windows with HQPlayer desktop and Thesycon drivers (pcm192Khz, dop64, native dsd128) up until 192Khz which is the maximum allowed.

Please find attached a screen capture (on my TV) of the output plus the log file generated for reference. I would appreciate any help here.

hqplayer_embedded_start-log_after-play.txt 23.24 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0742-edited.thumb.jpg.43085c4a0dcc0ce1625d093132b2ec60.jpg

Based on the kernel output it looks like it may have some problems with the USB firmware. Have you checked with Okto if they have tested it under Linux?

Both are on the same computer?

thank you for your response Miska

Okto says they have tested in linux (did not mentions which distro though) and it seems to work. Should I ask for more info there ?

HQplayer embedded and Okto DAC8 Pro in the same computer, yes. And windows too, same computer.

any hint ?

2 hours ago, Snoozer said:

Okto says they have tested in linux (did not mentions which distro though) and it seems to work. Should I ask for more info there ?

HQplayer embedded and Okto DAC8 Pro in the same computer, yes. And windows too, same computer.

any hint ?

No idea, HQPlayer OS has kernel version 5.4, so it is pretty recent too.

Do you get those kernel messages every time you plug/unplug the USB cable?

On 9/1/2020 at 1:49 AM, Ales Prochazka said:

Thank you Ales. I’m using you app in my tablet now. Better experience than with Android phone. 
The SQ is my best ever. Miles away from Roon. It’s only a question of keep it simple and    non angry software.

Congratulations for your excellent work.

Pink Faun 2.16 Ultra and HQPlayer Embedded as Server, MSB Pro USB, MSB Select DAC with 33 Femto clock, 2 PSUs, Renderer V2 and MSB Reference Transport powered by Torus AVR 8. Accuphase A-250 powered by Torus AVR 16, each. TAD Reference One.

9 minutes ago, Armsan said:

Thank you Ales. I’m using you app in my tablet now. Better experience than with Android phone. 
The SQ is my best ever. Miles away from Roon. It’s only a question of keep it simple and    non angry software.

Congratulations for your excellent work.

Sorry, I did want to mean “hungry software”.

Pink Faun 2.16 Ultra and HQPlayer Embedded as Server, MSB Pro USB, MSB Select DAC with 33 Femto clock, 2 PSUs, Renderer V2 and MSB Reference Transport powered by Torus AVR 8. Accuphase A-250 powered by Torus AVR 16, each. TAD Reference One.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Miska

For accessing the HQPe settings via web browser, could you do something like what Andre Gillis has done with the Rendu's, where you don't need to know the IP address to find a Rendu. You can just go to sonicorbiter.com and it works.

Could you do something similar for Embedded / HQP OS?

18 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

For accessing the HQPe settings via web browser, could you do something like what Andre Gillis has done with the Rendu's, where you don't need to know the IP address to find a Rendu. You can just go to sonicorbiter.com and it works.

Could you do something similar for Embedded / HQP OS?

That is OS feature rather than application feature. I think I have it enabled for HQPlayer OS.

Whether it works in a particular network and browser depends on the network. For example it doesn't work on my network on purpose. And it may not work if you have DoH (DNS over HTTPS) enabled on browser.

But HQPlayer Client (and I think HQPDcontrol too) can tell you the IP.

Myself I'm not horribly fond of that feature, because it assumes you have only single such device on the network.

14 hours ago, Miska said:

That is OS feature rather than application feature. I think I have it enabled for HQPlayer OS.

Whether it works in a particular network and browser depends on the network. For example it doesn't work on my network on purpose. And it may not work if you have DoH (DNS over HTTPS) enabled on browser.

But HQPlayer Client (and I think HQPDcontrol too) can tell you the IP.

Myself I'm not horribly fond of that feature, because it assumes you have only single such device on the network.

Or, just look at the router for the IP.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:56 PM, Miska said:

Based on the kernel output it looks like it may have some problems with the USB firmware. Have you checked with Okto if they have tested it under Linux?

Both are on the same computer?

Well, Miska, it seems you were right on that comment. I have received a message from OktoResearch acknowledging there seems to be a problem with the firmware when you have a Linux host. They are trying to fix it.

Thank you for your support

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @miska

I am running HQP Embedded on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 LTS - hqplayerd_4.19.1-53_amd64.deb

If I update Ubuntu to 20.04 LTS via Ubuntu's desktop updater app, do I need to do anything else regarding HQPlayer?

Or it should work fine?

Or 20.04 LTS is not yet officially supported for HQP Embedded, so I should wait?

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Hi @miska

I am running HQP Embedded on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 LTS - hqplayerd_4.19.1-53_amd64.deb

If I update Ubuntu to 20.04 LTS via Ubuntu's desktop updater app, do I need to do anything else regarding HQPlayer?

Or it should work fine?

Or 20.04 LTS is not yet officially supported for HQP Embedded, so I should wait?

Thanks!

I asked Miska the same question about HQP Desktop on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS and never got a reply.

Another member did respond that they had been running HQP on 20.04 for several weeks (months) without any issues so I went ahead and upgraded to 20.04 a few days ago and have not had any issues.

Eric

Ubuntu Studio Linux box (i7-9700, 8 cores, 16GB RAM, Intel X520-DA1 NIC, Roon, HQP) > fiber optic > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber optic > opticalRendu (HQP NAA) > Holo Cyan (DSD version) > Nord One UP NC500MB mono blocks > Klipsch La Scala — digital volume control with HQP via Roon client, DSP with HQP convolution engine

On 10/10/2020 at 3:42 AM, asdf1000 said:

Or it should work fine?

I have force-updated one of my servers to 20.04. Which resulted in couple of migration issues, like network settings got broken because network interface names changed. So I couldn't complete the process over ssh, but instead had to connect monitor and keyboard.

Other than that HQPlayer Embedded >= 4.19 built for Bionic seems to run fine on Focal too. Not yet officially supported, only once 20.04 becomes officially upgradeable from 18.04 and I move over to 20.04 as result (and drop support for 18.04). But in practice seems to work.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Not yet officially supported, only once 20.04 becomes officially upgradeable from 18.04

This upgrade is already here now though?

I'm not in any rush to upgrade to 20.04.1 though and prefer to wait till you support it.

I guess when I see Focal here then it will be officially supported:

image.png.90657b36731b511b93fdbe3d5082cf09.png