IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

8 hours ago, craighartley said:

Am I right in thinking that if I’m using the bootable HQP image, the system doesn’t actually need a hard disk to function as a HQPlayer server?

(reposted as I accidentally put in the wrong thread)

You only need to the media where you boot from, nothing else. Whatever the boot media is (USB memory stick, SD-card, SSD, eMMC, etc).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, craighartley said:

Assuming a dedicated server for HQP bootable image, is there any performance advantage in one boot media over another? 

USB memory stick and SD-card are easy to update. SSD (preferably Optane) or eMMC are faster to boot up, but maintaining updates requires use of live image such as Fedora Workstation to update the OS image and these setups are not as much tested as the USB/SD based ones.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:26 PM, Miska said:

USB memory stick and SD-card are easy to update. SSD (preferably Optane) or eMMC are faster to boot up, but maintaining updates requires use of live image such as Fedora Workstation to update the OS image and these setups are not as much tested as the USB/SD based ones.

Thanks. And in the same context of a HQPOS dedicated server, is there any advantage in having more than 16gb RAM?

4 hours ago, craighartley said:

Thanks. And in the same context of a HQPOS dedicated server, is there any advantage in having more than 16gb RAM?

It depends on how you play music. If HQPlayer is playing the files, it is good to have let's say largest file you have plus 4 GB or so. If you are playing from streams, 16 GB is sufficient and I would say 4 GB should be already just fine. If you want to optimize for extreme, take largest album you have plus 4 GB.

These days, I tend to have 16 or 32 GB of RAM on most HQPlayer Embedded servers. And I would say 32 GB is an overkill in most cases and 16 GB is just fine. But sometimes RAM kits have been relatively cheap so I've just gone for 32 GB without any particular reason.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

It depends on how you play music. If HQPlayer is playing the files, it is good to have let's say largest file you have plus 4 GB or so. If you are playing from streams, 16 GB is sufficient and I would say 4 GB should be already just fine. If you want to optimize for extreme, take largest album you have plus 4 GB.

Thanks. I stream from Roon on another machine. Largest album I think is just over 13 GB, with a largest file of 4.37 GB. That’s pretty exceptional though, and I have the same album in DXD which is under 6 GB (the larger version is DSD 256). 

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Good to have that guideline.  I have a dozen or so files that exceed 10GB so 32GB is still sufficient.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I installed an Hdspe aio card as input hardware of hqplayer embedded under arch linux, and the driver was automatically loaded. But I found that if I choose Hdspe aio as an output hardware, playback channel cannot be automatically routed to the hardware output. Should I edit /etc/asoundrc.conf?

On 1/3/2020 at 4:06 PM, zouyu513 said:

I installed an Hdspe aio card as input hardware of hqplayer embedded under arch linux, and the driver was automatically loaded. But I found that if I choose Hdspe aio as an output hardware, playback channel cannot be automatically routed to the hardware output. Should I edit /etc/asoundrc.conf?

It is not very useful device for output. I think I never even got the output working, not that I would have paid much effort to it either. For multi-channel devices like AIO, you may need to adjust the channel offset setting in HQPlayer to match correct output interface.

Anyone had experience running the EC modulators with a sonicTransporter i9? ie achieved dsd256 without glitches?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

works great provided ipV6 remains unchecked

I've made a small default configuration fix for the next release, meanwhile one can put following attribute value into <network> element in hqplayerd.xml:

mcast_interface="br0"

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

maybe a help section for dummies like me would help with new SMB option ; ie share is to be filled with the path ?

Yes, share means the network path, that looks like "//someserver/someshare"

Then on /library page, the path defaults to empty, but when you click the entry box once or twice you get popup-list showing both the default media path and the network mount path ("/smb") so you can easily scan either or both into the library. This is why also "Clean scan" now defaults to off.

12 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Does HQPlayer work with UBuntu 19.04.Also does it support native dsd playback as I have read in Roon forum ?

Maybe it does, but the short term support Ubuntu releases like 19.04 or current 19.10 are not supported. Only long term support versions are, so 18.04 LTS at the moment. I will move over to the next LTS (20.04) when it becomes upgradeable from the previous release, which is at the time 20.04.1 is released (probably around June 2020).

Yes, of course native DSD playback is supported. Depending whether your DAC is among the ones supported by the kernel you happen to be running at that particular time.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Maybe it does, but the short term support Ubuntu releases like 19.04 or current 19.10 are not supported. Only long term support versions are, so 18.04 LTS at the moment. I will move over to the next LTS (20.04) when it becomes upgradeable from the previous release, which is at the time 20.04.1 is released (probably around June 2020).

Yes, of course native DSD playback is supported.

So does 18.04 LTS support native dsd playback

13 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Do you have to download your Custom Linux kernel packages for native DSD ?

That depends on a particular DAC and the particular kernel version you have from Canonical (who maintains Ubuntu) at that moment.

In that respect you are mostly good these days with the stock kernel, especially from the hwe-package feed which is at the moment at 5.3 kernel.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

That depends on a particular DAC and the particular kernel version you have from Canonical (who maintains Ubuntu) at that moment.

In that respect you are mostly good these days with the stock kernel, especially from the hwe-package feed which is at the moment at 5.3 kernel.

Okay Thanks.Going to use Linux 18.04 for network audio.Which download should i use.Were do I find it when downloaded to add to start up