IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Hi there, apologies if my questions has already been answered before

I own a license of hqplayer4 embedded so I have made an ubuntu 18.04 server installation, plus nvidia drivers for cuda. The thing is that after having installed hqplayer I cannot manage to have the program to change user/password for the web interface. The following is the command that I use :

$ hqplayerd -u someuser somepassword

and the I get this error:

** (process:2081): ERROR **: 18:35:51.022: clXmlElement::WriteFile(): fopen(): No such file or directory
Trace/breakpoint trap

I have tried sudoing the command, same error.

Some help would be much appreciated.

//Pepe

45 minutes ago, Snoozer said:

$ hqplayerd -u someuser somepassword

Given the setup, I assume you would want to change it for the system account instead of your current user account? And thus you should be using "-s" instead of "-u".

46 minutes ago, Snoozer said:

and the I get this error:

** (process:2081): ERROR **: 18:35:51.022: clXmlElement::WriteFile(): fopen(): No such file or directory
Trace/breakpoint trap

I have tried sudoing the command, same error.

Probably ~/.hqplayer folder doesn't exist for your user account or root account...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

Given the setup, I assume you would want to change it for the system account instead of your current user account? And thus you should be using "-s" instead of "-u".

Probably ~/.hqplayer folder doesn't exist for your user account or root account...

The "-s" did the trick, thank you so much Miska. That was fast ! , appreciated 

Should I just create a folder like ".hqplayer" in my user or root account ? just empty ?

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you run it as system service like it is set up as default, you don't need such, because the "hqplayer" -user has it's own folder setup automatically.

Thanks Miska

I had it set it up as a service actually, but I thought that I had to run "hqplayerd -u ...." in any case to set up the user and password before running the service. After starting the service, I had access to the login page but nothing that I filled into the user/password boxes allowed me to get into it. Nevertheless, with your "-s" parameter I changed the user/password and now it works as expected. 

Thank you again for your help

Cheers

//Pepe

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, elan120 said:

Can HQPlayer Embedded be purchased with hardware fingerprint provided in later time?  The intended server is being build, while the Cyber Monday discount be over before server is ready.

I'd put E on a usb stick, plug it in whatever computer, get the fingerprint and ask for a change later. I'm not Miska but I remember reading he is OK with hardware change once or twice a year

I’ve been trying v4 embebbed with AudioLinux 2 and NAA on 2 NUC’s. Big improvement in sound over my previous v3 desktop system + NAA. However, using mconnect player, I have problem being unable to play some dsf files. Can’t see a pattern to this - some that I ripped work, others don’t and with files obtained from NativeDSD also, some work & some don’t. Does anyone understand this? HQPe logfile just says failed to add URI in these cases.

A separate issue is that the HQPe will not apparently scan my NAS library in the way the desktop version does although I was hoping not to need HQP library if mconnect would work reliably. Tried to import a version of the library exported from desktop but that didn’t work either.

Andrew

4 hours ago, ajm said:

I’ve been trying v4 embebbed with AudioLinux 2 and NAA on 2 NUC’s. Big improvement in sound over my previous v3 desktop system + NAA. However, using mconnect player, I have problem being unable to play some dsf files. Can’t see a pattern to this - some that I ripped work, others don’t and with files obtained from NativeDSD also, some work & some don’t. Does anyone understand this? HQPe logfile just says failed to add URI in these cases.

Sounds like access problem, but what is the error exactly? Note that some servers may have problems with file sizes exceeding 2 or 4 gigabytes (limit of signed and unsigned 32-bit integer).

4 hours ago, ajm said:

A separate issue is that the HQPe will not apparently scan my NAS library in the way the desktop version does although I was hoping not to need HQP library if mconnect would work reliably. Tried to import a version of the library exported from desktop but that didn’t work either.

Are you mounting the NAS through SMB or some other way? It should work fine that way, as long as you specify the local mount point to the scan function.

Library exported from desktop version likely has file paths that differ from the ones in your embedded system. That is why it is unlikely to work.

4 hours ago, ajm said:

Andrew

Try Audirvana as a front end

Thanks Miska,

Here are the relevant lines from a log file. None of my dsf files is >2GB and the entries for the two failures here are for files of 270k and 1.2G. 

2019/12/02 20:37:52 Play next URI: http://192.168.1.77:50002/m/NDLNA/47959.dsf
# 2019/12/02 20:37:52 clReadDSD::OpenURI(): clDSF::Open(): clDSF::ReadHeaders(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read max loop: Success
# 2019/12/02 20:37:52 Adding URI to the playlist transport failed
& 2019/12/02 20:38:35 Play next URI: http://192.168.1.77:50002/m/NDLNA/49838.dsf
# 2019/12/02 20:38:35 clReadDSD::OpenURI(): clDSF::Open(): clDSF::ReadHeaders(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read max loop: Success
# 2019/12/02 20:38:35 Adding URI to the playlist transport failed

Regarding library mounting, I was using an nsf mount with same parameters as worked for desktop version. Perhaps nsf not supported by embedded? I have found in the course of getting things working with various versions that there are a lot of incompatibilities between synology samba and nsf and audiolinux which make using these mounts tricky for people who are not linux experts.

Andrew

52 minutes ago, ajm said:

2019/12/02 20:37:52 Play next URI: http://192.168.1.77:50002/m/NDLNA/47959.dsf # 2019/12/02 20:37:52 clReadDSD::OpenURI(): clDSF::Open(): clDSF::ReadHeaders(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read max loop: Success # 2019/12/02 20:37:52 Adding URI to the playlist transport failed & 2019/12/02 20:38:35 Play next URI: http://192.168.1.77:50002/m/NDLNA/49838.dsf # 2019/12/02 20:38:35 clReadDSD::OpenURI(): clDSF::Open(): clDSF::ReadHeaders(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read max loop: Success # 2019/12/02 20:38:35 Adding URI to the playlist transport failed

Looks like the server is being sluggish and not sending data out properly. This is safety measure to avoid HQPlayer from spending lot of CPU time busy-looping on receiving data that is dripping in in very small pieces. HQPlayer gives up trying to access the file in such case.

52 minutes ago, ajm said:

Regarding library mounting, I was using an nsf mount with same parameters as worked for desktop version. Perhaps nsf not supported by embedded? I have found in the course of getting things working with various versions that there are a lot of incompatibilities between synology samba and nsf and audiolinux which make using these mounts tricky for people who are not linux experts.

Desktop and Embedded v4 work the same way. Filesystem type itself is not visible to HQPlayer, it is isolated by the kernel's filesystem layer.

I don't know anything about audiolinux, for audiolinux related things you need to ask the developer. Have you tried one of the OS I support, like HQPlayer OS, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Debian 10 or Fedora 31? My file server is just running Ubuntu 18.04 with Samba and that works with Linux, Window and macOS clients. Only "regular NAS" I have is Seagate for backup use and it works with Ubuntu 18.04 using SMB.

Before I spend a lot more time on this, please can you confirm that the suggested explanation about a server issue is consistent with all the files playing normally using the desktop version.

When I try to download the HQPlayer OS image from Signalyst website, I get a forbidden 403 response. 

Thanks,

Andrew

2 hours ago, ajm said:

Before I spend a lot more time on this, please can you confirm that the suggested explanation about a server issue is consistent with all the files playing normally using the desktop version.

Desktop version doesn't support UPnP, so you are likely accessing the files using some protocol and thus server software at the NAS side. UPnP streams files over HTTP, while with the Desktop version you are likely using some kind of filesystem mount...

2 hours ago, ajm said:

When I try to download the HQPlayer OS image from Signalyst website, I get a forbidden 403 response.

Then you are likely trying to download some old version. Latest version is 4.12.2.

On 12/2/2019 at 2:27 AM, elan120 said:

Can HQPlayer Embedded be purchased with hardware fingerprint provided in later time?  The intended server is being build, while the Cyber Monday discount be over before server is ready.

I never saw a cyber Monday discount. Is it still around?

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I never saw a cyber Monday discount. Is it still around?

Nope, it is over.  It was posted here:  https://www.signalyst.com/index.html

Nov 28 2019 Black Friday discount is here again! With coupon code "black19" 15% discount on new HQPlayer licenses (all versions). There is also additional 5% (total 25%) discount on upgrade coupon codes through the weekend.
If you missed Black Friday, you have a second chance on Cyber Monday with coupon code "cyber19". Campaigns generally run from midnight to midnight UTC time.
52 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Has there been any consensus or determination as to whether HQPlayer 4 or Embedded offer SQ improvements over HQPlayer 3?

Though it was costlier to go Embedded 4, though Miska's policy to refuse to apply the same discount than if I went Desktop 4 is kind of irritating IMO, I chose Embedded and it's a clear easy choice IMO

And this is coming from Windows Server minimum GUI where I run D3 and tested D4

And it's incredibly easy to use : put image on a usb stick press power on et voilà. Using Audirvana as a front end resolves any issue about library management and accepted formats

22 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Though it was costlier to go Embedded 4, though Miska's policy to refuse to apply the same discount than if I went Desktop 4 is kind of irritating IMO, I chose Embedded and it's a clear easy choice IMO

And this is coming from Windows Server minimum GUI where I run D3 and tested D4

And it's incredibly easy to use : put image on a usb stick press power on et voilà. Using Audirvana as a front end resolves any issue about library management and accepted formats

Agree with you fully on the policy.  I've paid for both Windows and Linux HQPlayer desktop but get no discount on Embedded.

I'm currently using Roon to HQPlayer.  I suspect this shouldn't be an issue going from Roon to Embedded.  Because Embedded will be running on Audiolinux and going through Roon it isn't as simple as a usb stick for me.

You think Embedded sounded better than D4 though.

54 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

You think Embedded sounded better than D4 though

In my testing, I prefer D4 better then D3, and currently working on setting up a new server to run AL with Embedded V4, especially with all EC modulators at DSD256, which I believe will sound better then D4 due to different OS.  This is also going to have Roon as front end doing the file management.

Having now used D3 on AL1, D4 on AL2 and E4 on AL2 headless, I find the sound preferable with E4. I also prefer AL2  sound to HQ Player OS. Following a report by Larry M on AL thread, I also find sound preferable with non BFQ kernel.

As reported earlier in this thread, I had some problems library scanning with E4 and discovered eventually that this was because it can take a long time while nothing appears to happen. Perhaps usefully, I found with Synology NAS that an nfs mount was scanned about twice as fast as a Samba mount by E4 and the artwork also loaded better. Such observations might usefully be mentioned in HQP documentation as it would be general expectation for nfs to be quicker but not being highly knowledgeable on linux I only discovered this by trial and error.

I remain puzzled by the input screen on E4. Does anyone know what is the purpose of this screen and whether it is possible to load playlists there. If so, is there a format specification or can palylists generated from D4 be loaded in E4.

54 minutes ago, ajm said:

Perhaps usefully, I found with Synology NAS that an nfs mount was scanned about twice as fast as a Samba mount by E4 and the artwork also loaded better. Such observations might usefully be mentioned in HQP documentation as it would be general expectation for nfs to be quicker but not being highly knowledgeable on linux I only discovered this by trial and error.

There is just no systematic reason why it would be the case. It depends on the hardware/software combo, mostly at the server side. For example my Samba server (Xeon E5) can saturate gigabit network even though the disks are encrypted.

I remain puzzled by the input screen on E4. Does anyone know what is the purpose of this screen and whether it is possible to load playlists there.

Inputs are like pre-amp inputs, but more flexible. So you can select a CD drive for playing back CD, a USB memory stick for playing content from it, or some analog or digital input.

This same functionality is on Desktop v4 too.

If so, is there a format specification or can palylists generated from D4 be loaded in E4.

Problem with playlists are that files are usually not located in the same full path on different computers. This makes them usually non-portable between different machines.

HQPlayer library supports playlists though, the scan operation picks up such too.