IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Yes, the "ALSA DSD not supported" is normal message you will see as long as you don't have Amanero firmware version that would be supported by the kernel for non-DoP DSD.

Here's my output for Amanero, but my Amanero has the 1099 firmware...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33598[/ATTACH]

Are you getting DSD512 with T+A in Linux, like microRendu? There are many many folks on the T+A forum (and Lampi too) that would love to have that.

Yes, the "ALSA DSD not supported" is normal message you will see as long as you don't have Amanero firmware version that would be supported by the kernel for non-DoP DSD.

Here's my output for Amanero, but my Amanero has the 1099 firmware...

I fully understand that I will see ALSA DSD not supported if I am trying to stream native DSD, but I had the DoP settings in place for HQP Desktop and I am still getting that. As for the crackle is there anything on my end that I can do that would potential help you narrow down the issue?

Then what is the significance of your screenshot showing Amanero rates when referencing ALSA?

That is from my DSC1 DAC which works up to DSD256 with this firmware (beta), without DoP. DSD512 is not proper yet that firmware version.

T+A DAC8 DSD doesn't have plain Amanero Combo384 board, but instead it has T+A's board design that sit right on the same board with the other stuff...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I fully understand that I will see ALSA DSD not supported if I am trying to stream native DSD, but I had the DoP settings in place for HQP Desktop and I am still getting that.

That is normal for NAA system. I have released networkaudiod 3.5.0 with a fix that will hopefully clean up the bogus DSD rates too.

That is normal for NAA system. I have released networkaudiod 3.5.0 with a fix that will hopefully clean up the bogus DSD rates too.

With 3.5.0 the crazy DSD rates are gone but the "ALSA DSD not supported" message still exists even if I have DoP set, along with setting that says up convert everything to SDM it seems to be streaming PCM

naa-3.5.0.png

Sorry, I think I am being dense but just want to confirm. I will always see "ALSA DSD not supported" if the Amanero firmware that is installed in my DAC is not 1099e even if I have DoP set. Should I see some ALSA message stating that DSD DoP is supported?

No, there is no such message. NAA should only report exactly what the hardware supports and nothing more. DoP cannot be detected but it is instead forced from HQPlayer side at playback time based on the setting.

With 3.5.0 the crazy DSD rates are gone but the "ALSA DSD not supported" message still exists even if I have DoP set, along with setting that says up convert everything to SDM it seems to be streaming PCM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33608[/ATTACH]

It mostly tells the ALSA settings, without attached display NAA doesn't tell whether it is PCM or DoP. But HQPlayer main window tells what goes out.

IMG_20170301_102710-s.jpg

fostex-dop.png

Hi Miska. I did not see networkaudiod 3.5.0 image for cubox-i. No need, or just haven't done it yet?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Miska. I did not see networkaudiod 3.5.0 image for cubox-i. No need, or just haven't done it yet?

I haven't got time to build one yet. I will do other updates to the image too once I rebuild it, so it'll take some extra effort and will happen some time later...

If you are in hurry, you can always have another microSD with minimal Debian Stretch and the the provided networkaudiod package...

I haven't got time to build one yet. I will do other updates to the image too once I rebuild it, so it'll take some extra effort and will happen some time later...

If you are in hurry, you can always have another microSD with minimal Debian Stretch and the the provided networkaudiod package...

Thanks, certainly no hurry on my part. Just curiosity. The image is working so well I will likely leave it alone until an update is released.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Now there's hqplayerd a14 build version available. Contains some fixes and finalizes bunch of changes. Next I'll start working on some new features so it may take a while before there are more versions.

...I made some changes to the stop code too...

Miska, thanks for the new version. I can confirm that the crackle that existed in the previous alpha no longer exists in alpha14. I am going to go back too listening to music for couple of days :-)

Miska, thanks. I am going to go back too listening to music for couple of days :-)

What a novel concept. [emoji41]

I am out of town but anxious to try a14 when i return next week. I hope Piero loads it in Audiolinux. He's usually right on the newest release.

Jussi is cuda support in your plans for the next hqplayerd development ( no idea the amount of work involved, sorry)?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

My wish list for things to add in embedded version.

* Make both desktop and embedded version leverage the same configuration file, including the settings that only apply to embedded which desktop version ignores. The reason for the request is right now there are some settings which require manual edits for embedded to stream DSD only or leverage network. Doing that will allow one to configure all settings needed for embedded leveraging desktop version.

* Have ability to request and install license key with out use of desktop version (I want to avoid installing XServer and all the dependencies needed for HQPlayer). I know this request contradicts the one above of using HQPd to change configuration for HQPe.

* Add support for CUDA

* Add support for systemctl configuration which starts HQPe with rygel. Currently, the alpha version includes support to start HQPe only to be used with Roon/Alchemy/Muso.

* Make both desktop and embedded version leverage the same configuration file, including the settings that only apply to embedded which desktop version ignores. The reason for the request is right now there are some settings which require manual edits for embedded to stream DSD only or leverage network. Doing that will allow one to configure all settings needed for embedded leveraging desktop version.

Embedded will have it's own configuration application...

* Have ability to request and install license key with out use of desktop version (I want to avoid installing XServer and all the dependencies needed for HQPlayer). I know this request contradicts the one above of using HQPd to change configuration for HQPe.

Certainly, that is part of previous item...

* Add support for CUDA

For various reasons that is probably enabled as one of the last items. Mostly for the reason to keep things a bit simpler while there are lot of changes/additions going on. Technically not hard to do.

* Add support for systemctl configuration which starts HQPe with rygel. Currently, the alpha version includes support to start HQPe only to be used with Roon/Alchemy/Muso.

There's an example provided on the web page. But since Rygel (or MPRIS to be precise) requires D-Bus session-bus, it is based on another package called TLM which I've also been developing, more as part of my regular day job... The example provided is from my own setup. But I don't want to make all that mandatory for HQPlayer Embedded, that's why the systemd service file provided with hqplayerd is "standalone" without Rygel/dbus-session-bus.

At some point I tried to make it all work with systemd without TLM, but at least the version at that time refused to properly start session bus for hqplayerd. I personally pretty much hate systemd and it's built-in hardcoded idiosyncracies that keep changing over time... With TLM I know precisely how things work. :)

Did you get a chance to test out alpha 14 and did the crackle go away?

Can't figure out how to update to a14 in Audiolinux. I did the a8 update, but using same commands for a14 (replaced youart command line from a8 to a14) is not working at all. I have an email into Piero.

Moreover, when I go to PKGBrowser I see that a12 is under "installed" (not sure how the hell it was installed cuz I didn't do it and Audiolinux was sitting idle on my unattached USB thumb drive while I was gone) so I run "start_hqplayerd.sh" only to find it starts as a11. ???

Update: Doh! I'm looking at a12 thinking it's a14. I installed a12 dummy! But, nonetheless, a14 is still an anomaly, as the process I went through to do a8 and a12 isn't working, and the funny thing is the AUR inventory shows 14 out there.

If I recall, a12 reported as a11... but it was updated so quickly there was no reason to add to Miska's emails :)

As for Audiolinux, well you've asked the expert already but it looks to me the pkgbuild is up-to-date on the AUR: a14-14 Xenial package. Should require nothing more than yaourt -Syu hqplayer-embedded (or whatever the cmd is, I don't use yaourt) to bring it up to date.