IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Anyone knows why using these settings PCM 384 (see image) Roon + HQPe starts skipping the track and won't play and when going down to 352800 will start playing with a high pitched noise, then set the auto rate family option at 352800 and plays just fine and then removing the option keeps playing just fine and when set back to 384 it will start skipping again

image.thumb.png.2ef76e376162ee7a0b62a9bcbc0490ed.png

Amanero who knows why? maybe?

Hi @Miska

My sonicT i7 is running the latest HQP Embedded version 4.2.0

But there still seems to be the non-zero value issue with fixed volume setting.

After I change from startup to fixed volume, there is no way to go back to startup - because the fixed value field won’t accept a non.zero value. The only way is to uninstall and then reinstall the HQP Embedded package and re-install the key again.

3 minutes ago, luisma said:

Anyone knows why using these settings PCM 384 (see image) Roon + HQPe starts skipping the track and won't play and when going down to 352800 will start playing with a high pitched noise, then set the auto rate family option at 352800 and plays just fine and then removing the option keeps playing just fine and when set back to 384 it will start skipping again

image.thumb.png.2ef76e376162ee7a0b62a9bcbc0490ed.png

Amanero who knows why? maybe?

I can't speak to the high pitched noise glitches, but the fact is closed-form cannot upsample 44k material to 48k rates and vice versa, so auto-rate family is the only way to play mixed content with this filter combination.If you set the limit to 384, and the sample rate to auto, is there an issue? 

3 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

I can't speak to the high pitched noise glitches, but the fact is closed-form cannot upsample 44k material to 48k rates and vice versa, so auto-rate family is the only way to play mixed content with this filter combination.If you set the limit to 384, and the sample rate to auto, is there an issue? 

Thank you, no issue at all, Roon path below, it samples to 352.8, did not know about the closed form upsampling to multiples of 44k only, neophyte here, started reading about filter details recenlty

Thank you

image.thumb.png.ce43794bde6a51149d140b8f09932f6c.png

32 minutes ago, luisma said:

@Em2016 how are you setting fixed volume? with 0 and -3?

image.thumb.png.9f97b0e9e069cf86e9bc3570625a36a3.png

Hi luisma

If I change from a startup volume to a fixed volume of -3dB, and then try to use a startup value of -20dB (for example), if I leave the fixed volume field clear (no value) then I’m not able to save my settings and select the NAA.

I am able to change to fixed volume once. But the problems arise if I then try to change back to a startup volume.

On 7/3/2018 at 5:32 PM, Miska said:

Only thing that currently supports rate switching is RME HDSPe AIO and possibly also HDSPe RayDAT (being variant of the same core). USB devices are generally stupid, because the UAC standard expects computer to always set the sampling rate and doesn't properly support slaved clocks.

I have some other devices on my TODO-list, but that'll need some Linux driver customizations.

Remember to flash that MiniDSP dongle with "Toslink IN/OUT" firmware version (there are many).

Miska, thanks for the information on the Chromecast and MiniDSP option.  I got it working tonight following your suggestion of updating the firmware to Stereo Toslink In/Out firmware.

In case anyone else is interested in getting the setup working:

1. You need alsa-utils installed so you could run "aplay -L" command to identify the hardware device id for USBStreamer.  The command to install alsa-utils is "apt-get install alsa-utils" or "sudo apt-get install alsa-utils" depending on your login privilege.  I am lazy so I always login via privileged root account under Debian.  If you are using Ubuntu use the "sudo" command listed.
  2. Run "aplay -L" command and look for entry "hw:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0"
  3. If HQPe is running stop it by issuing "systemctl stop hqplayerd.service"
  4. Edit hqplayerd.xml file that you are using and add another entry for "Input" tag.  Below is the entry that I added for my setup right before the existing input entry that Miska already provided in the configuration file.
                    <input channel_offset="0" channels="2" device="hw:CARD=USBStreamer,DEV=0" format="pcm" name="USBStreamer @44.1k" period_time="0" samplerate="44100"/>
                    <input channel_offset="0" channels="2" device="hw:CARD=M20,DEV=0" format="pcm" name="Input @44.1k" period_time="0" samplerate="44100"/>
  5. Restart HQPe issuing "systemctl start hqplayerd.service".  Please do not forgot to add "sudo" before "systemctl" if you are logged in with normal user privilege or are under Ubuntu.
  6. Connect to HQPe web interface and select "Input" option
  7. From the drop option select USBStreamer @44.1k or the name that you used in the config file.
  8. Fire up Spotify/Deezer/Tidal/Qobuz or any other streaming app that supports Chromecast and stream away.

Here is what I see under the Main Windows of the web interface while I am streaming Deezer.  I am up converting everything to DSD 512.

@Miska, or anyone else more experienced with Linux/ALSA setup, is there another way to find the hardware id with out install alsa-utils and running "aplay -L" command?  I want to make sure that when I get around to updating the install guide I include the 

Edit: One thing that I noticed was that if you stop casting and go back to normal UPnP stream and want to go back to casting you have to make sure to select input option.  To go from casting to UPnP you do not have to do anything but going back from UPnP you need to manually select input option.  Miska, any plans to change that so you can switch back and forth with out the manual intervention for input option?

image.thumb.png.fcd89931ce5d792de615b52a403dd94f.png

On 7/14/2018 at 1:00 PM, ppy said:

This topic has already discussed the playback of DSF via DLNA.
I got a similar problem.
Jriver 24.0.41 HQPE 4.2.0
PCM works fine, but DSF files do not play.

& 2018/07/14 19:52:04 Play next URI: http://172.16.0.19:52100/Music/F3905.dsf
# 2018/07/14 19:52:04 clReadDSD::OpenURI(): clDSF::Open(): clDSF::ReadHeaders(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read max loop
# 2018/07/14 19:52:04 Adding URI to the playlist transport failed
& 2018/07/14 19:52:15 Play next URI: http://172.16.0.19:52100/Music/F3908.dsf
# 2018/07/14 19:52:15 clReadDSD::OpenURI(): clDSF::Open(): clDSF::ReadHeaders(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read max loop
# 2018/07/14 19:52:15 Adding URI to the playlist transport failed
& 2018/07/14 19:52:26 Play next URI: http://172.16.0.19:52100/Music/F3913.dsf
# 2018/07/14 19:52:26 clReadDSD::OpenURI(): clDSF::Open(): clDSF::ReadHeaders(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read max loop
# 2018/07/14 19:52:26 Adding URI to the playlist transport failed

My JRiver setup is screwed up so I have not tested the JRiver sending DSF files but I did successfully send a DSF file using MiminServer and MConnect as UPnP controller with out any issues. 

I have yet to get DFF working.  When I tried to send the DFF file using MininServer and MConnect here is what I get in HQPe log

"& 2018/07/25 22:00:44 Play next URI: http://10.19.67.35:9790/minimserver/*/Music2/2l.no/DSD64/Vivaldi*20-*20Recitative*20and*20Aria*20from*20Cantata*20RV*20679,*20Che*20giova*20il*20sospirar,*20povero*20core*20-*20Tone*20Wik*20*26*20Barokkanerne*20(period*20instruments)*20-*20Bellezza*20Crudel*20-*20VIVALDI*20-*20DSD64.dff"

I will get JRiver issues resolved and retest, along with BubbleUPnP and MininServer setup.  I only have few DFF files which are mostly from 2L.no test files so I am not that worried about getting DFF working but it would be great if we can figure out why it is not working.  I have not gotten DFF working with JRiver or BubbleUPnP and MinimServer setup, but sending the same URI using hqcontrol command it plays fine.  So something in the way JRiver/MiminServer is sending the DFF file seems to be the issue.

On 7/26/2018 at 4:47 AM, shadowlight said:

@Miska, or anyone else more experienced with Linux/ALSA setup, is there another way to find the hardware id with out install alsa-utils and running "aplay -L" command?  I want to make sure that when I get around to updating the install guide I include the 

Edit: One thing that I noticed was that if you stop casting and go back to normal UPnP stream and want to go back to casting you have to make sure to select input option.  To go from casting to UPnP you do not have to do anything but going back from UPnP you need to manually select input option.  Miska, any plans to change that so you can switch back and forth with out the manual intervention for input option?

image.thumb.png.fcd89931ce5d792de615b52a403dd94f.png

Recommended way is to use "aplay -l" for output devices and "arecord -l" for input devices. These utilities are also included on my bootable images. But you can get similar output by "cat /proc/asound/cards".

I cannot think of sensible way auto-select inputs. This is similar thing as selecting source on a pre-amp.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I am experimenting with "The Audio Spatialisation for Headphones (ASH) Impulse Response dataset",  see https://github.com/ShanonPearce/ASH-IR-Dataset

Since the BRIR files (https://github.com/ShanonPearce/ASH-IR-Dataset/tree/master/BRIRs/R01) are stereo I have split them with audacity to 2 mono convolution files and disabled convolution and enabled pipeline  with the following configuration:

pipeline.png

The two original files are ASH_BRIR_R01_P1_E0_A-30.wav and ASH_BRIR_R01_P1_E0_A30.wav (stereo) for -30° and +30° respectively.

I have added RIGHT and LEFT after splitting.

Do you think this is the right way to do this in HQPlayer?

In HQPlayer linux Desktop this seems to be working, but in HQPlayer embedded I have some delay on the right channel, that sounds as a sort of echo of the left one.

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

28 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

I am experimenting with "The Audio Spatialisation for Headphones (ASH) Impulse Response dataset",  see https://github.com/ShanonPearce/ASH-IR-Dataset

Since the BRIR files (https://github.com/ShanonPearce/ASH-IR-Dataset/tree/master/BRIRs/R01) are stereo I have split them with audacity to 2 mono convolution files and disabled convolution and enabled pipeline  with the following configuration:

pipeline.png

The two original files are ASH_BRIR_R01_P1_E0_A-30.wav and ASH_BRIR_R01_P1_E0_A30.wav (stereo) for -30° and +30° respectively.

I have added RIGHT and LEFT after splitting.

Do you think this is the right way to do this in HQPlayer?

In HQPlayer linux Desktop this seems to be working, but in HQPlayer embedded I have some delay on the right channel, that sounds as a sort of echo of the left one.

Looks correct to me. Have you checked that the pipeline description ends up same way to both configuration files?

If HQPlayer Embedded doesn't work the same way, most likely reason is that I have some bug in the web form handling, because code doing the actual DSP work is the same in both cases.

5 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

I have manually edited hqplayerd.xml with the same matrix configuration as in Desktop version (with direct links to convolution files, not those copied to .hqplayer config directory) and now all is working fine, thanks.

Ok, if you can spot some error in the config written by the web interface, let me know.

I'll check the web config form once again with this kind of config if I can spot what is going wrong...

For anyone curious, CUDA with Ubuntu 16.04  works like a charm. Does not require running x or invoking commands on login. Honestl, all I did was install nvidia-375, blacklisted nouveau and disabled lightdm. I think the dependencies pulled in were enough to be up and running. I’m using the stock lowlatency kernel. Anyway, very cool. ??

Hi Jussi,

I run embedded on audiolinux through a Sonore rendu as NAA. When adding a usb/spdif converter embedded does recognize this but will not play.

HQP desktop on the same machine, and rest of config, does play. So to me this seems to be an embedded issue...agree?

I had a look at the logfile because I thought you might ask for this but there does not seem to be any useful info in there...

Any suggestion?

tia

Steven

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

13 hours ago, m3lraaHnevetS said:

I run embedded on audiolinux through a Sonore rendu as NAA. When adding a usb/spdif converter embedded does recognize this but will not play.

HQP desktop on the same machine, and rest of config, does play. So to me this seems to be an embedded issue...agree?

I had a look at the logfile because I thought you might ask for this but there does not seem to be any useful info in there...

Any suggestion?

Hard to say with this information... Can you email me the log?

On 7/24/2018 at 4:09 AM, Miska said:

Seems like your DAC has Amanero USB interface. Depending on it's firmware version it may sometimes do that kind of funky stuff at highest rates. Stopping and restarting playback usually fixes it if it happens.

Updated to Amanero 1096 now this happens constantly, can barely use it, PCM fails more often than SDM but both do, the only way to get the DAC out of the garbled white noise playing is change the filters to anything or switch from pcm to DSD or viceversa.

By any chance do you know any version of the firmware that works kind of stable with HQPE? or is there away to troubleshoot?

On 8/4/2018 at 7:36 PM, luisma said:

By any chance do you know any version of the firmware that works kind of stable with HQPE? or is there away to troubleshoot?

I'd say it has nothing to do with HQPE, but generally you'd want a firmware that works properly on Linux. The most recent ones are quite OK, mostly sometimes get a bad playback start and need stop/play cycle to recover. And then work OK at least for a while.

But it of course also depends on the particular DAC too. Not all DACs are the same.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I'd say it has nothing to do with HQPE, but generally you'd want a firmware that works properly on Linux. The most recent ones are quite OK, mostly sometimes get a bad playback start and need stop/play cycle to recover. And then work OK at least for a while.

But it of course also depends on the particular DAC too. Not all DACs are the same.

I agree is not related to HQPE directly, I'm doing some more testing to see if I can narrow down what could be happening.