IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

15 hours ago, Miska said:

No, I mean that you have bandwidth to spare, above 20 kHz for the slower transition band. IOW, you have "luxury" of having extra bandwidth that you don't have with RedBook content. Shorter filters are lighter on CPU, so you'll get lower CPU load too.

However, trading that entire extra bandwidth for the sake of transition band like MQA does is still not something I'd go for. Because that sort of takes the "hires" out of "hires". So my "mqa" filters are still not like MQA's filters.

Thanks Jussi!

How do I play Audirvana > HQP Embedded > NAA

In Audirvana, I can see UPnP HQP Embedded (see attached) but each time I select it, it goes to another audio device - i.e. it doesn't want to select and lock on to HQP Embedded.

Is there any other settings that need to be enabled to get this to work, that I may have missed?

Many thanks

1026841333_ScreenShot2018-06-01at11_53_23pm.thumb.png.5f63dee0659124f908f40aac0555577c.png

Also, I have Bubble UPnP (Tidal) on Android playing to HQP Embedded - but what does the volume in Bubble UPnP app mean in relation to HQP volume? What is the equivalent to HQP = -3dB?

I can get the Qobuz desktop app to play direct to HQP Embedded which is very cool, with their new UPnP output (beta).

1307933949_ScreenShot2018-06-02at1_31_14am.thumb.png.0fbbcb6c33a0f46ba1ae7e80404f46b1.png

But there's no way of knowing the HQP volume with it's slider with no numbers ? - I have HQP startup volume on -3dB. Does setting fixed volume get around these control app's own volume controllers or not really?

And I still can't get Audirvana to work - have you been successful with A+?

No idea why you are fretting about the the UPnP control point app's volume control setting. As long as you haven't changed it on the UPnP control point app, it should just be reflecting the UPnP renderer volume's original position when the renderer first connects with control point.

May be it's due to some misunderstanding as to what a UPnP control point, like the one contained in the BubbleUPnP Android app, does:

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Also, I have Bubble UPnP (Tidal) on Android playing to HQP Embedded - but what does the volume in Bubble UPnP app mean in relation to HQP volume? What is the equivalent to HQP = -3dB?

UPnP control points do not play anything -  ie, it's HQP Embedded that does the playing!.

So if HQP Embedded is at -3dB on first connection, the BubbleUPnP Android app's  volume control position is also at -3dB.

If you are worried about accidentally moving the BubbleUPnP Android app's volume control, you can hide it in the app's settings.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

I can get the Qobuz desktop app to play direct to HQP Embedded which is very cool, with their new UPnP output (beta).

1307933949_ScreenShot2018-06-02at1_31_14am.thumb.png.0fbbcb6c33a0f46ba1ae7e80404f46b1.png

But there's no way of knowing the HQP volume with it's slider with no numbers ? - I have HQP startup volume on -3dB. Does setting fixed volume get around these control app's own volume controllers or not really?

And I still can't get Audirvana to work - have you been successful with A+?

I have mine configured with -3db fixed and the volume slider has no effect on the HQPe volume.  I control the final volume using my preamp's volume.

image.thumb.png.8cabdaffcd31aa32fd331af35cb82f14.png

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

How do I play Audirvana > HQP Embedded > NAA

In Audirvana, I can see UPnP HQP Embedded (see attached) but each time I select it, it goes to another audio device - i.e. it doesn't want to select and lock on to HQP Embedded.

I tried it, but didn't get it working either. My guess is that A+ could be using the semi-abandoned libupnp which implements 1.x version of the standard. While Rygel I'm using implements 2.x. I'd need to patch Rygel with special exception for A+ to switch to 1.x standard when A+ is talking to HQPlayer.

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

There's no specific whatsoever relation between UPnP volume and anything that would be relevant for real world. You just get something semi-reasonable. What I usually try to make out of it by default is 0 - 100% of -60 to 0 dBFS.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

I have mine configured with -3db fixed and the volume slider has no effect on the HQPe volume.  I control the final volume using my preamp's volume.

image.thumb.png.8cabdaffcd31aa32fd331af35cb82f14.png

That's the best way, because then the Control Point doesn't mess with some random value. But then you need to have volume somewhere else... Not necessarily a problem though.

3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

So if HQP Embedded is at -3dB on first connection, the BubbleUPnP Android app's  volume control position is also at -3dB.

If you are worried about accidentally moving the BubbleUPnP Android app's volume control, you can hide it in the app's settings.

Yeah, unfortunately UPnP doesn't talk in dB, but in arbitrary scale value...

Also setting fixed volume in HQPlayer will make the volume control stuck to predefined value and Control Point will refuse to move it. So either way works fine for disabling the volume control.

As long as you haven't changed it on the UPnP control point app, it should just be reflecting the UPnP renderer volume's original position when the renderer first connects with control point.

Exactly...

Thanks Gents. 

I tried to hide the volume in Bubble UPnP but it still remembers the last volume setting I changed it to in Bubble. Even if I stop playback and close Bubble and re-open, when I hit play again it doesn’t go to my HQP startup volume of -3dB. 

With Roon open (just a random observation) when I adjust Bubble’s volume I can see HQP’s volume in Roon, and Bubble = 45 is equal to Roon = HQP = -6dB.

I haven’t tried HQP volume as fixed yet but I wonder @Miska if the “main” page of HQPe can show the current HQPe volume, not a live number but just the current. So if someone doesn’t have Roon to show them the volume and say they use the Qobuz Desktop app which has a slider with no number, then they can adjust the slider and refresh the “main” page manually (if they want) to see the current HQPe volume?

Fixed value will probably fix it but this may help those that prefer to use “startup” volume?

6 hours ago, Cebolla said:

No idea why you are fretting about the the UPnP control point app's volume control setting. As long as you haven't changed it on the UPnP control point app, it should just be reflecting the UPnP renderer volume's original position when the renderer first connects with control point.

May be it's due to some misunderstanding as to what a UPnP control point,

No fretting, just friendly conversation mate ?

Of course it’s just a control point - if I quit Bubble, music keeps playing. I’ve been using Bubble for years, so everything is cool there regarding what a control point is hehe.

Anyway, if I drop Bubble’s volume to 3 (very low) and stop playback and quit Bubble, and re-open it and hit play, volume doesn’t start at HQPe’s startup volume. Bubble remeber’s the last volume I chose for some reason. Very easy to test by going with an ultra low Bubble volume of 2 or 3 or something as a test.

While using fixed volume in HQPe might fix it (have to test later) not everyone uses fixed.

Just friendly casual feedback/observations/coversation with Jussi here, nothing too stressful ?

Hi Jussi @Miska

Just tested "fixed" value in HQPe and this does get around Bubble issue. But still wonder if it's worth considering showing the current volume on the 'main' page. Not a live number, just a current number at the time of page load/refresh.

Something else but there's a buggy behaviour in HQPe config page on my Dell laptop that I've seen on the sonicTransporter i7 also.

If I change startup value to -6dB and leave fixed value as empty - everything is fine.

But then if I change startup value to empty and changed fixed value to -6dB (like I'm trying now), it won't let me select the NAA (Rendu) and it won't save/apply the settings. The only way around it is to make BOTH fixed and startup volumes as -6dB - and not leave a field empty.

Alternatively with the sonicT i7 I was able to get around this by deleting HQP Embedded from the sonicT i7 and on a fresh setup of HQPe, I can setup fixed as -6dB and leave the startup volume as empty.

While I can't imagine people changing from fixed to startup too often, I've been able to reproduce with Rendu's on 2 separate HQPe machines.

I also just tried mConnect Player on iPhone, with Tidal and Qobuz. Very nice looking app when browsing the streaming services and works great with HQPe. Very cool indeed.

Roon is sometimes slow with loading new Tidal releases, especially on Friday's when most new albums are released, so I often turn to other Tidal integrations which show the new releases a day or two quicker than Roon, especially Friday's/Saturday's - so it's nice having these Bubble UPnP and mConnect solutions working with HQPe, although I'm liking mConnect more since it looks nicer.

On 5/29/2018 at 2:46 AM, Miska said:

I think it could be advisable to upgrade the BIOS also for security reasons (Meltdown/Spectre microcode fixes) and it could help other ways too.

But other than that, I cannot help much more. If Ubuntu works, you can install minimal Ubuntu Server system and replace the default kernel either with lowlatency-hwe kernel from Ubuntu repository, or alternatively my kernel. Then just install hqplayerd on it.

Hi @Miska, I think I have found out the reason why the HQPlayer Embedded image cannot work for me. It is because Ubuntu Server does not recognise my Mellanox fibre card. When I install the Ubuntu Server, it can only recognise the two LAN controllers built in on the motherboard, but no fibre card for network connection is detected. Therefore installation of HQPE on Ubuntu Server doesn’t work too. But I don’t understand why installation of HQPE on Ubuntu Studio works for me. Do you know why?

Thanks and regards, Simon

16 hours ago, simonklp said:

Hi @Miska, I think I have found out the reason why the HQPlayer Embedded image cannot work for me. It is because Ubuntu Server does not recognise my Mellanox fibre card. When I install the Ubuntu Server, it can only recognise the two LAN controllers built in on the motherboard, but no fibre card for network connection is detected. Therefore installation of HQPE on Ubuntu Server doesn’t work too. But I don’t understand why installation of HQPE on Ubuntu Studio works for me. Do you know why?

My image as such has no relation to any Ubuntu. But reason is probably different kernel configuration. I can check and enable more drivers for next build of the image if those are available but not enabled. Generally only the "common ones" are enabled in normal configurations, likely Mellanox doesn't fall in the "commonly used one" category. I find it quite curious if Mellanox is supported by Ubuntu Studio, but not Ubuntu Server. I would expect it to be the other way around.

20 hours ago, Em2016 said:

If I change startup value to -6dB and leave fixed value as empty - everything is fine.

But then if I change startup value to empty and changed fixed value to -6dB (like I'm trying now), it won't let me select the NAA (Rendu) and it won't save/apply the settings. The only way around it is to make BOTH fixed and startup volumes as -6dB - and not leave a field empty.

Fixed value overrides the startup value, so it doesn't matter if the startup value is defined. You don't need to undefine it.

I can look into displaying volume dB value on the main page and even possibly having a setting for it.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Fixed value overrides the startup value, so it doesn't matter if the startup value is defined. You don't need to undefine it.

Noted but if someone wanted to change from fixed value back to startup value, currently it won’t allow me to save/apply with a Rendu NAA - tested on both a sonict i7 and my Dell running HQPe. The fixed value can’t be undefined after its been defined. I can only fix this by doing a clean install - which takes only 5 minutes but still..

2 hours ago, Miska said:

I can look into displaying volume dB value on the main page and even possibly having a setting for it.

Awesome, thanks Jussi! 

16 hours ago, Miska said:

My image as such has no relation to any Ubuntu. But reason is probably different kernel configuration. I can check and enable more drivers for next build of the image if those are available but not enabled. Generally only the "common ones" are enabled in normal configurations, likely Mellanox doesn't fall in the "commonly used one" category. I find it quite curious if Mellanox is supported by Ubuntu Studio, but not Ubuntu Server. I would expect it to be the other way around.

I have re-configured my network setup such that the Mellanox Fiber Card on the HQPlayer Embedded PC is not used. The setup is as follows:

HQPE PC LAN port -> RJ45 LAN cable -> Network Switch -> Fibre cable -> Fibre Card on NAA PC (Win OS)

There is a RJ45 LAN cable also connected from the router to the network switch. And I have checked that there is IP address assigned to HQPE PC.

However, after starting the HQPE by systemctl restart hqplayerd, the message of a dependency job of hqplayerd has failed. The attached screenshots are the corresponding journal.

It seems that the problem is not just due to the Mellanox Fiber Card.

20180603_205644.jpg

20180603_205728.jpg

20180603_205901.jpg

5 hours ago, simonklp said:

I have re-configured my network setup such that the Mellanox Fiber Card on the HQPlayer Embedded PC is not used. The setup is as follows:

HQPE PC LAN port -> RJ45 LAN cable -> Network Switch -> Fibre cable -> Fibre Card on NAA PC (Win OS)

There is a RJ45 LAN cable also connected from the router to the network switch. And I have checked that there is IP address assigned to HQPE PC.

However, after starting the HQPE by systemctl restart hqplayerd, the message of a dependency job of hqplayerd has failed. The attached screenshots are the corresponding journal.

It seems that the problem is not just due to the Mellanox Fiber Card.

20180603_205644.jpg

20180603_205728.jpg

20180603_205901.jpg

You still seem to have some detected network interface that didn't come up properly, for example because there's no cable connected or there was no response from DHCP server on one of the interfaces...

Sorry to interrupt a train of discussion but I just want to announce for those interested that SoTM sMS-200 and their other renderers using the eunhasu.local control now works with HQPlayer embedded.

Tried it with my SonicTransporter i5 and it works fine. This is the with the alpha v0.4.19 or the latest release v0.4.20.

Thanks Jeeho from SoTM for working on this and solving the issue.

23 hours ago, shadowlight said:

@Miska, is there a way to add support for various streaming services like Deezer, Qobuz, Tidal to HQPe? 

Tidal works through BubbleUPnP Adroid app and mconnect Player (HD) iOS app. BubbleUPnP supports also Qobuz, but since Qobuz is not available in Finland I have not tried it myself. And then for ordinary computers, Roon is of course option for Tidal.

And then the way I use for example for Spotify and Tidal (with their own apps) from mobile devices (Android and iOS) is through Google Chromecast Audio dongle -> Toslink -> HQPE computer.

Hi Jussi @Miska

When I use a USBridge with Roon + NAA I can play fine to the USBridge.

But when I use mConnect and play directly to HQPe, only the first song plays. It fails to play the next qeued song, for any album I select in Tidal.

When I use a microRendu in the same system, and use mConnect to again play direct to HQPe - no problems, the first song plays and so do all following songs in the queue.

So it’s something with USBridge. Playback itself is fine, no drops, no pops. Just won’t go beyond the first track in the qeue with mConnect.

Same with Bubble UpNP with USBridge also. 

With Bubble or mConnect -> HQPe -> Rendu : no problem playing a Tidal album continuously.

With Bubble or mConnect -> HQPe -> USBridge: It won't play beyond the 1st Tidal track in any album

With Roon + NAA, the USBridge is fine.

Edit: with Roon + NAA, USBridge can play an album from start to finish. But if you hit next track, or start playing another album while one album is playing, it doesn't like that and you get 'Roon lost transport' error...

So it's a different issue to mConnect and Bubble but maybe related, with USBridge being common factor.

21 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Same with Bubble UpNP with USBridge also. 

With Bubble or mConnect -> HQPe -> Rendu : no problem playing a Tidal album continuously.

With Bubble or mConnect -> HQPe -> USBridge: It won't play beyond the 1st Tidal track in any album

With Roon + NAA, the USBridge is fine.

Edit: with Roon + NAA, USBridge can play an album from start to finish. But if you hit next track, or start playing another album while one album is playing, it doesn't like that and you get 'Roon lost transport' error...

So it's a different issue to mConnect and Bubble but maybe related, with USBridge being common factor.

It has some trouble stopping and restarting the DAC. Since I don't have USBridge I have not idea why...